Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

coolent flush?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolent flush?

It's 60K changed oil and plugs now coolent. Do you guys just replace or flush then replace? If you flush should I just use water or some kind of cleaner/detergent?
I've never done this before but I don't want to pay when it looks pretty easy from what I have read. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just used a water hose and sprayed it through the coolant hoses. Unless you had some gummed stuff in it I wouldn't really worry too much about using a solvent for it.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

How do you guys collect the flushed fluid?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:10 PM

It might be illegal...but I drain mine into a pan, and dump it down the drain. Then, I open up the top, and the bottom plug, run the car with the heater on, and let it flush out right into the street. I figure it's almost 100% water, and rust/deposits, so it's not too environmentally un-friendly.
Brett
Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Okay quick search on the internet says this... collect what you can to take to a proper recycling location. Whatever is left needs to be drained with plenty of water into a drain. There was one note about just draining it all and chasing it with a lot of water but that's just unethical.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
How do you guys collect the flushed fluid?
Fortunately for me at the time I was working for a dealership and just used a drain pan then dumped it into our recycling receptacle. The rest I just used a water hose and held the gun-nozzle up inside different coolant hoses and let the rest drain onto the floor which went to a drain and to a sewer treatment plant. I would recommend using a good sized pan and drain the coolant into it, but as far as the water flushing I would check with local laws. You might be better off using a bucket if you can get it to fit and dump it with the coolant at a recycling center if availabe.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Okay quick search on the internet says this... collect what you can to take to a proper recycling location. Whatever is left needs to be drained with plenty of water into a drain. There was one note about just draining it all and chasing it with a lot of water but that's just unethical.
Ditto, it's not that hard to collect the coolant that comes out the petcock and take it to a local garage for recycling (usually they'll take it for free or a small fee in some cases). That stuff is very harmful to the environment so you shouldn't just let it run into the sewers. Whatever is left can be flushed with a garden hose.

Here's the thread where I did mine:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/those-cold-climates-hows-your-heat-74448/#post839284
Old 05-01-2006, 06:44 PM

You will want to drain first (later take that to the recycle place in your area.)
Then follow the directions provided with your flush product. I highly suggest you do not flush with water from the hose as previously suggested. Tap water has minerals & deposits in it that can lead to undesirable performance/condition of your coolant system. Always flush with distilled water and when you go to dilute your new antifreeze dilute it with distilled water. I always dilute mine on the strong side because after the flush process and your radiator is empty you still have a lot of water in your coolant system that is just distilled water with no coolant. I would strongly recommend using the Amsoil's Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant product.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Christ
You will want to drain first (later take that to the recycle place in your area.)
Then follow the directions provided with your flush product. I highly suggest you do not flush with water from the hose as previously suggested. Tap water has minerals & deposits in it that can lead to undesirable performance/condition of your coolant system. Always flush with distilled water and when you go to dilute your new antifreeze dilute it with distilled water. I always dilute mine on the strong side because after the flush process and your radiator is empty you still have a lot of water in your coolant system that is just distilled water with no coolant. I would strongly recommend using the Amsoil's Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant product.
If you have hard water where you live then I would agree you probably shouldn't just flush with a hose and refill unless the water from your tap has been through reverse osmosis. The problem with just pouring in distilled water is that you don't get enough volume moving through the system to dislodge any deposits or sediment that has built up in your cooling system. The only thing that running hard water will do to your coolant is pull some of the phosphates out of suspension (if you follow up with running a gallon or two of distilled water you should be able to maintain the regular service life just fine but you may wish to mix 70/30 instead of 60/40). Also when you do a coolant flush you should always remove the thermostat during this process because it will block flow and may also trap alot of the old coolant and sediments from being removed.

Also although Amsoil makes great products, unless you know exactly what the composition of the Amsoil coolant is, you shouldn't be using it. Toyota's require a phosphate based coolant for the best level of protection so I myself stick to Toyota red or pink only for exactly that reason. You can read my info overload thread on coolant if you haven't already:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/just-finished-timing-belt-coolant-question-77747/#post810177

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-02-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 AM

Please keep in mind that antifreeze will kill Dog, Cats , Birds and any other animals including humans and it takes very little to do so.
After draining and flushing with a hose I like to fill it up with water and one cup of baking soda, turn on the heater and run around for a while until the engine reaches a steady warm temp. Then let it cool and drain and hose flush again. The baking soda really helps get rid of any rust and contaminates of any kind.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 PM

RECYCLE YOUR ANTIFREEZE - Even if you have to pay for it.

Cannot say enough about flushing your radiator after a drain (having had thermostats fail in both the open and closed position with lots of rust/sludge/fouling).

- Wrap a rag or something around the end of the hose and wedge the hose and rag into the lower port (or lower hose) on the engine. Water will drip bot most will go up through engine
- Direct the upper hose into a bucket or other.
- Turn on water and run until the discharge from the upper hose is clean.
- turn off and remove hose from lower port/hose and empty engine - watch clean water with a little rust/residue come out.

- Do it again if not satisfied!!

G
Old 05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have seen a few cats and dogs die from ethelyne glycol (antifreeze) toxicity and it is not pretty. Please collect your fluids and dispose of them properly.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought it was lemon lime gatorade once and chugged a bunch. It tasted like copper.

Doing that is about as stupid as dumping it down the drain/street.

If I saw anyone doing that here, I'd pick a fight with them and make them lick it up (unless the guy was a lot bigger than me then id just keep walking).
Old 05-02-2006, 03:33 PM

Shoot! I have a dog (Bear, 20lb pure bread Shih-tzu. Not overweight just a big boy) and I don't want him or any other dog in my neighbor hood licking up this stuff. Guarantee some will spill in the gurage or on the drive way and down the street. I'll feel better to pay a few extra dollars to have this stuff changed at a shop and disposed of correctly. Thanks for the replys.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Drain radiator and collect used fluid. Toyota dealership will take it and oil as they SELL it. (If you don't dispose of it or just dump it, you are a lazy &*$&# and deserve a caning. )

Close drain. Refill the radiator with water and drain...dispose of properly as well.

Close drain. Remove upper radiator hose. Fill radiator with water and leave hose on in radiator...no need for full flow here, just enough to keep it overflowing a tad.

Crank vehicle, turn on heater full power and wait.

Thermostat will open and flush out engine of the gunk. This fluid will come out the upper radiator hose and it will be hot, so be careful.

The cold hose water will close the thermostat quick the first few times, but once the engine gets good and hot and the fluid coming out the upper radiator hose is clear, you've got it flushed.

Shut off the engine, reattach the upper hose. Drain the water out of the radiator. Close drain. Refill radiator and overfill w/ Toyota red coolant. There is enough water in the engine block and the rest of the system to get a good mix.

Simple as that. Take you maybe an hour and cost you about $35.

Take your used fluids and dispose of them properly.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-02-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I thought it was lemon lime gatorade once and chugged a bunch. It tasted like copper.
Yikes, that stuff will ruin your kidneys (among other things) and it is permanent damage.