Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Considering picking up a Tacoma. Need thoughts/opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering picking up a Tacoma. Need thoughts/opinions.

Hey folks. I don't post here much as I lurk more than I post. That may soon change however as I'm considering buying a new 2003 V6 Tacoma in the very near future. I however need some thoughts and opinions from all you nice people out there in Yota land to help me along with my descision.

So, what could I expect from the Tacoma? How is the ride quality, the handling, suspension and all that? Also, how is the seating in terms of comfort? I've seen the video of the 2001 Tacoma on edmunds, and it hasn't gotten very high remarks, stating it only has forward/back, and recline.

The Tacoma is going to be used exclusively for daily driving so I'm highly doubting that there will be any modifications done in the future, save maybe an exhaust system. I haven't given much thought to the 4cylinder models as I'm not really a big fan of 4bangers pulling trucks and to be honest, the sound of a nice clean exhaust system just seems to be drawing me toward the V6 model.

Thoughts and opinions?

Oh, and before I forget, is $19k too much to pay for a Prerunner V6? I forget what options it had, but one of the sales managers quoted me a Taco in that price range.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

I would wear a back brace... they are heavy!!
Old 03-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Tacoma

Our 2002 Double Cab rides like a truck - stiff. We (the wife and I) have the SR5 model and I suspect the limiteds ride better. Also, my friend has the TRD package and it rides significantly better than my SR5.

Still, the SR5 is acceptable in terms of ride even in the rural area I live in. If you live in a metro area with smooth roads you probably won't be disappointed.

As for the seats - the limited's will be better. The longest I've been is 6 hours and they were fine - but they were not SAAB seats (which are generally considered the best).

Hope this helps
Old 03-21-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ususai,

I would recommend that you test drive two types of tacomas: a V6 4x4 (or a prerunner) and a TRD V6 4x4 (I'm assuming you want a 4x4). You will see the big difference in "ride quality".

Remeber now, these Tacomas are trucks. They will ride like trucks. You may get used to the truck feel, you may not. My previous vehicle was a Honda Civic EX coupe. Lemme tell you, the adjustment took about 1 month! But I'm used to it now (4runner).

If you get a Prerunner, look for the ones w/ RR Diff (locker).

Bob
Old 03-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

I'm loving my Tacoma!

I think the hardest thing I had to get used to was the height and the stiffness of the steering, but then again, I was coming from almost 10 years of driving a Camry and other lower (not lowered) cars.

The steering was a bit harder to get used to and it took me about a month or 2 before I was comfortable with it. The height was also a little harder to get used to as well but again, after a few months I didn't feel like I was toppling over with every turn
Seating is okay, I've never felt uncomfortable in them but yes, it is just back, fwd, and recline. I've been thinking about Wet Okole seats because they get such fab reviews on this board but they're a bit steep ($600 for front and rear!!!)

I have a 2002 Double Cab V6 Prerunner and for the first few months I had it I could tell everyone was looking. I even had a few people stop me and ask me how I felt about it. I don't get stopped now that I see my car everywhere.

Now after 16 months and 30,000 miles my only 2 regrets is that I didn't get a 4x4 and that I don't have the TRD package. But beggars can't be choosers - when I was looking for my truck I went to this dealer and told him what I wanted and he's like "Oh hey yeah! I think I got one of those!"

Anyhow, I paid around the neighborhood of 23K for mine (SR5 with a 16-in tire upgrade, CD player, rear tints, no bedliner, etc) so I think 19K is pretty good.

I have to say, doing your research in a forum before making a purchase... that's a smart thing to do. I'm impressed
Old 03-22-2003, 09:05 PM

I'm on my third Tacoma. I've had a little 2000 2WD extra cab, then a 2001 TRD Prerunner V6 that I kept stock then I bought my current 1999 TRD 4WD V6 that is gonna be built into a full-on desert truck slowly but surely.

They are simple. Don't expect fancy gadgets, its a truck, but this is good cuz everything you'll ever need from the truck is easy to find in the interior and in good reach except for maybe the damn clock (steering wheel sorta blocks it.

I miss the new interior of the 2001 now that I have the 99. The new interiors are much nicer then the old ones and I would like to upgrade back to the newer one someday. They are more comfortable, have a bunch of cup holders, good stereo for stock and nice pretty white gauges.

The suspension is stiff compared to a car but not too bad, my suspension I have currently is much more stiff (SAW coilovers). The TRD suspension isn't TOO stiff tho, its a truck and if you ever go offroad it is a little better then the stock suspension.

The seats are not the greatest and gotta say it is the biggest drawback for new owners and for good reason. If you got the money you can upgrade them as there are quite a few upgrade options out there, its up to you.

As for the V6, its a killer engine and still competes with much bigger V6 engines from the domestics.

19k is a great deal on a new PreRun V6, I'd jump on it.