Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Confirm Bodyshop Diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confirm Bodyshop Diagnosis?

Hey everyone, haven't posted here in a while. I think this is the correct section. I apologize if it's not.

I was just in an accident two days ago, and while the truck looked fine, the drivers side frame is borked. I've taken it to the bodyshop, but they won't have a chance to actually look at it until Monday. The guy looked at it last night, and explained everything to me, but when my insurance company called him today he kind of backed off what he told me.

I was the front vehicle in an accident and was rear ended. The hitch took the majority of the force, and is bent down pretty good. It's actually bent away from the frame on the passenger side, but bent the frame on the drivers side.

Essentially, the frame creased and bent where the hitch attaches on the drivers side. The body shop guy said because of the crease he can't fix it without sectioning it, but like I said, this morning he said he may be able to fix it.

Also, the truck looks like an elephant sat on the drivers side rear, and it just kind of bends down starting at the rear doors. There are pretty good gaps in the rear doors from this, more severely from the drivers side. The body shop said they can just put in on the frame machine and pop it back into shape and it'd be fine.

I'm including a picture that I took. What do you guys think? Can this be fixed without sectioning? And is it possible to just pop everything back into spec?

Drivers Side Frame

Hitch bent from passenger side frame
Old 02-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I 'd guess the vehicle first needs to be checked so that it drives straight
and there are no hidden problems.
Doors margins aligned , rear hatch margins straight etc.....
Sounds like it may need to be strapped down to a frame straightener and maybe the crease needs to be heated red while pulled.

Whoops..........just noticed you said the rear of the vehicle is crumpled.
You need a computerized frame straightening.............sounds like it could get complicated so make sure they cover all the bases in the estimate.
Get some side images of the rear crumple and the doors up.

Kenny S>

Last edited by sharrack; 02-05-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Yes a good frame man could probably fix it. Get a computer read out for your self when it is done. Don't take it unless you are completely satisfied.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM

OK, thanks for you input. It drives just fine, like nothing happened, it's actually still my DD until I drop it off at the shop on Monday.

I guess I'll have to trust the shop that they can fix it. I love my truck, so as long as I get it back the way it was, I'm happy. And insurance really doesn't seem to care either way, other than depending on cost they may total it. The body shop seems to think they can fix it though, so that's good.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
"rear ended" almost always is the fault of the person who rear ended you. That said and if that is the case I would get a number of different estimates and opinions. I would then sit down and compile the info and go from there.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM

That's true, but my insurance company is just taking care of it, and they'll deal with the other guy. If they fix it, it will be warranteed as long as I own my truck (if they only knew how long that was). And, if I'm not here when something happens, I can take it to any shop in my companies network and it will still be warranteed.

I just want it fixed. I don't want to try and find another one like mine.