Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Commando alarm wiring help

Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commando alarm wiring help

Hello,

I've got the installation diagram for the Commando 870 car alarm along with the wiring diagram I pulled off their website for my 2000 4runner. Looking to install myself but am still a little confused as to which wires go where.

For anyone who has done this before, can you please advise exactly which alarm wire colors correspond to which wire colors on a 2000 4runner?

thank you,Jon
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 AM

Just follow the manual. You start off with the installation manual and it tells you what wires to take and what wires to install. Nobody here can really tell you what wires go where because there are just too many. Just read the manual and do exactly what it says, almost all of the stuff is under the dash in my 96, the rest was in the drive kick panel and below that.

I got mine last year and I am still havn't some trouble with the remote start portion of the alarm.

But an
Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the reply and I did read the manual and study the diagrams but sorry am still a bit confused and don't want to mess up the connections. I think someone here can tell me where the wires go. After much research on this forum, it appears this is a very popular and well made alarm system. It has been installed successfully by many owners on the 4runner.

Again, any wiring help or installation tips would be very helpful. Thank you,Jon
Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM

People aren't going to be able to tell you specifically where each wire goes
Basically you are going to need this - wiring diagram for a 2000 4runner

You are also going to need the installation manual.

When the installation manual says to "connect the 'red/white wire' to the positive park light" you will find the red wire with a white stripe that came with the alarm. Next you will find the positive park light wire by using the wiring diagram i posted above. You will by some means make the two wire connect. (I used wire taps)

That step is done (BTW I made the wires up, so don't get confused thinking i said something different than the manual, go with what the manual says, step by step)

Now some of them are a little difficult to find, some are a little difficult to connect something to. Some are vague with the wiring diagram but just try your best. Read all the disclaimers carefully, like don't test the tachometer wire with a test light because that will damage the tach

If you get stuck somewhere post here.

This alarm is the second thing I ever installed in my 4Runner. The first being some Hella 500's just a few days before. It really isn't that hard. Just be somewhat careful. Take it slow, and go buy a $2 test light so you can test wires before tapping into them.

Last edited by chadbobb; 01-03-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Viper/Hornet alarm wiring

Well...was going to order and install Commando car alarm and had everything ready..then I received Hornet 564t (similar to Viper 791 I believe) as a gift! So that's what I'll be putting in.

Started the install this weekend but am having problems with door unlock operation. I connected green on alarm door lock harness to brown/white wire from fusebox for the lock side. That seems to work fine.

For the unlock, I connected a blue wire on the harness (primary unlock output) to the blue/black wire behind the fusebox. According to Toyota wiring manual, this should be the unlock wire for the driver side (but the wiring diagram from alarm help on the web says this should be a blue/yellow wire). I connected the Lt blue wire on another alarm harness (secondary unlock output) to the green/yellow wire behind the fusebox. According to Toyota wiring diagram, this should unlock the passenger side.

On unlock, pressing the disarm button once unlocks the driver door only (no problem). Pressing the disarm button again does not unlock any other doors (as it would on the factory keyless remote). In fact need to press the disarm button maybe 3-4 times before the rest of the doors eventually unlock.

Long story but my question is do I have the unlock wires from the alarm connected to the correct wires in my 2000 4runner? If not, what am I doing wrong here? I would think pressing disarm once open driver door, pressing again open all other doors. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wir...Toyota/4Runner

I don't have the feature that you have - but look here. According to this is says there are two unlock wires. the little "[2]" in brackets means refer to the bottom where it specifies "[2] you must send ground to both wires and diode isolate."

I don't have that feature to unlock just the drivers door because I don't think it came on the 96... I only had to connect one wire - So give that a try and see what happens

Oh, go the webpage and check where it says the wires are too... it says to use the "passenger kick panel, all of my wires were the drivers kick panel...