Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CNG Bi-Fuel Kit or Info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CNG Bi-Fuel Kit or Info?

Does anyone have any info on converting our rigs to Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)? I am thinking that with the price of gas what it is and projected to rise in the near future, a CNG conversion may be pretty welcome. It would also solve a lot of political fuel problems -- dependence on foreign oil (US has lots of Natural Gas), Pollution, and Gas Costs. Further, a person could fill up using their home gas line -- So there is an existing fuel distribution system in place. I've heard that there is a 4k tax credit for converting as well. The main draw back, as far as I know, is that Natural Gas only provides 75% of the power by volume as petrol. Perhaps some energy could be recouped from the expansion of the gas from the 3600 psi it is stored at in most tanks, but don't know the details on that.

I came across this link in another thread: http://www.h2go.info/

It seems like they have a Tacoma there that is fuel flexible. The prices listed on the web might preclude a lot of people, though. So, I thought there might be a company out there offering a simple kit to add CNG to our rigs for less. I've seen some links around the internet but they have gone defunct. If anyone has any info on this I'd appreciate hearing. We have a great resource here in the intelligence of the members of this board. When it comes to Toyotas, I honestly believe we could probably solve just about any problem imaginable.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I have been searching the internet for "CNG Conversion Tacoma" I found a few threads talking about it. I posted this on another and thought I'd copy it here:

I know this was an old thread, but I wanted to bring it back to life since I just bought a CNG conversion kit that I'm going to put on my 2004 Tacoma or 99 Accord. I bought it from a friend for $500, but new it would run about $1000 (the kit in this video is the same one I got http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYP2ZRwq9EE ) My bottles are 6 gallon equivalent and expire in 2016.

Anyway, Utah is a great place to run CNG because there are new CNG filling stations popping up all over the place and it costs about $1.25 a gallon. So, if I spend $100 a month on gas normally, I'll only spend about $40 a month with CNG. So for me i'll recoup the costs in less than a year.

I only got the conversion kit today so I haven't installed it yet, but I do have some questions already so if anyone has converted a Tacoma I'd like to talk to them.