95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch pedal return problem...spring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:25 PM
io

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal return problem...spring?

Hey guys
I'm new to this Forum but not new to working on cars/trucks.
Although I'm running into a problem that I can't figure out how to fix.

Here's the chronological chain of events.

Spring, noticed that when I pushed the clutch in, it would sometimes stay all of the way on the floor. I'd have to hook my toes around the pedal and pull it back up or the clutch would slip.
I ended up buying a Clutch Master Cylinder from autozone and replacing that part, along with a complete bleed.

this seemed to fix the problem for a few months. Then it started doing the same symptoms again. This time I figured it was just the cheap autozone part, and bought replacement Clutch Master AND Slave Cylinders. replaced them both, and bled the system, and the problem went away.

Then I went on a week vacation 4x4ing through Colorado. Needless to say, I used the clutch ALOT during this week. On the trip back, I noticed that the clutch is starting to display the same symptoms AGAIN!!

Now I don't want to keep throwing Clutch Master Cylinders at it every few months, and I know there isn't much else to the system besides the two cylinders and a hydraulic line in between the two.

What could be causing the Clutch Master Cylinders to fail? Any crap that was in the Hydraulic line should've been flushed when I did the full bleed.

Thanks guys
Jesse
Lillie '96 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Leika '98 Honda VTR996F
Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 AM

On my 87, I ate a new master in a few weeks when it didn't get bled completely. While it might feel ok at first, just a tiny bit of air in the master will cause the piston to misalign, and get stuck in the cylinder bore. With an aluminum piston and aluminum bore, they stick together easily.

Bench bleed first, tap the master and change angles to dislodge any air as you go. Then install in truck and bleed again. Took me about 10 minutes of rigorous bench bleeding before I was convinced all the air was gone.

Makes no difference if its cheap autozone part, or expensive Toyota part, they fail the same.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by io
Hey guys
I'm new to this Forum but not new to working on cars/trucks.
Although I'm running into a problem that I can't figure out how to fix.

Here's the chronological chain of events.

Spring, noticed that when I pushed the clutch in, it would sometimes stay all of the way on the floor. I'd have to hook my toes around the pedal and pull it back up or the clutch would slip.
I ended up buying a Clutch Master Cylinder from autozone and replacing that part, along with a complete bleed.

this seemed to fix the problem for a few months. Then it started doing the same symptoms again. This time I figured it was just the cheap autozone part, and bought replacement Clutch Master AND Slave Cylinders. replaced them both, and bled the system, and the problem went away.

Then I went on a week vacation 4x4ing through Colorado. Needless to say, I used the clutch ALOT during this week. On the trip back, I noticed that the clutch is starting to display the same symptoms AGAIN!!

Now I don't want to keep throwing Clutch Master Cylinders at it every few months, and I know there isn't much else to the system besides the two cylinders and a hydraulic line in between the two.

What could be causing the Clutch Master Cylinders to fail? Any crap that was in the Hydraulic line should've been flushed when I did the full bleed.

Thanks guys
Jesse
Lillie '96 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Leika '98 Honda VTR996F
In my 98 4runner, It was my spring that wouldn't come back up all the way. It squeaked really bad too.

I ended up using a cheap replacement pedal return spring from advanceauto. There is a factory mounting location for it, which is just like the brake setup. I cut the old spring off.
Hope this helps.
Wes
Old 07-09-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm having same problem with pedal return.