Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clifford RS3 Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clifford RS3 Install?

I know cebby could really help me out here, but to anyone that has installed an alarm, expcially one with remote start. Basicly my question is this... I have three options, I could A. Install it myself (with a friend that just rewired his entinre fuel injection system ie, knows what hes doing as far as wiring) B. Get it installed at best buy for $70 C. Get it installed at some audio shop for however much they usually charge for installing a remote start alarm. What should I do? I have never installed an alarm, and am just worried I would do something stupid and I wouldn't be albe to start my truck. Is it really that hard, I have good soldering/wiring experience but... I've never done anything quite this adventerous

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Or, I guess I could get it installed at best buy, then just go over all the wiring and redo anything that isn't up to my standards.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. If you have wired and soldered, that's a good prerequisite. Is this clifford remote start also an alarm? Not that it matters much, but if it's just a RS and you want to integrate it with the factory alarm, there might be issues. Namely, in an integral alarm with RS or brands made to work together, there is a defeat for the shock sensor for when the engine is running. This is important, cause if you don't have this defeated, it will set the alarm off and kill the ignition.

If you want to tackle this, you'll want a wiring diagram of your rig - preferrably the Toyota one, not Chiltons or Haynes. It's beena while, but I remember running four or five wires out under the hood (coil tap, power, siren and tilt switch), then under the dash, there are most of the connections. One of the ignition wires (there are two in Toyotas), plus all the other usual stuff - dome light, parking lights, brake switch, tranny position sw, locks, door pins. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but that's it in a nutshell.

When wiring this, if tapping, strip back a section of insulation and wrap and tape it. Do all of your connections and leave everything hanging down. Then TEST it before soldering the connections. Solder all connections, heat shrink where you can, liberal amount of tape where you can't. I try to maintain the integrity of the facotry wiring, so I usually unwrap the factory harness (the tape) and make all my connections then re-wrap the harness. Tough to defeat for a theif if you don't know where the connections are. Make sure you use the wire provided and if you need to supplement the wire, be sure to use the same gauge.

If you are up to the task, I'd do it yourself. Having someone knowledgeable with vehicle wiring is the only reason I think you should attempt it. Make one connection at a time and go slow.

The audio shop would be my second choice, with the hacks at Best Buy off the bottom of the list. Keep in mind, if you do it yourself and you smoke the alarm brain, you get to buy another one. The warranty doesn't cover you doing the install as far as I know.

Last edited by Cebby; 06-19-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Cebby,
I think I might try and tackle it. I am still a little weary about frying the brain, though I would get an extra remote... But I don't know if i could get the deal I got if I had to get another one cough$180cough But how long do you think it would take? I could get it done in a day right? I don't know if I want my dad to help out because he is so slow. Its worth it in the end, but I can't have my car down for more than a day b/c I have to get my alternator rebuilt the next day. Though, I guess I could do both at the same time. The battery would have enough juice to test it at least... Where is the best place to get the toyota skamatic spell?? There isn't one online anywhere is there?
Thanks a million!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, Ive always thought about what if the alarm siren was located in the cab. I mean, half the time people don't even pay attention when a car alarm goes off. And idono... what are your thoughts...
Old 06-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and where did you mount your brain? I had the factory alarm, shouldn't I keep it in the same place and just use the wires going to it? I'll atleast be able to get the ignition, parking, and dome from there shouldn't I? I'm not worried about people that know how to steal cars... In my opnion, if someone really wants your car, they can get it w/o you knowing it no matter what alarm you have, i just fried my factory brain when my truck went for that swim a few months back, and not having power door locks is killing me.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:53 PM

You can definitely do it in a day. Make sure you have all the stuff you need before tearing your rig apart. I'm famous for having something half torn down then having to patch it back up and drive to the store! I think my first remote start took me about 4 hours, but I'd been at it a while. This includes soldering all connections - come to think of it, I think it had a pair of window modules on it to.

Gophers are good to have - "go get me..." Have him due the underhood stuff. Speaking of underhood, make sure you put the wires in split loom under there and stay way from stuff that gets hot.

Here's a manual - I think its all 2nd gen only though. I haven't dug through all of it to be sure.

You can get manuals by calling Toyota publications at 800-622-2033. This is better than going thru the dealer since they just put a mark on it.

They make nice little sirens to put inside the car called "pain generators". They are really shrill and tough on the ears. I have one if you want me to snap a pic. You should still have a siren outside the vehicle too.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:00 PM

Mount the brain up under the dash - as far up as you can. It can be wire tied in place, but make sure its secure. Different alarms connect differently to vehicles. I'd verify that the wires that went to the 3200 are what you need by looking at a manual and tracing the wires back into the harness.

Your 3200 was under the seat, right? If you go boating again, you'll be in the same predicament.

No door locks is a bitch, especially with the lock cores on the Runners failing after alot of use (speaking from experience)
Old 06-19-2003, 06:04 PM

Matrix RS3 install

I install these alarms on a daily basis at a shop out here. IMO you have a better shot at doing it right yourself than anybody I've ever seen install an alarm at a Best Buy/Circuit city. For the most part your runners a pretty straight forward install, if you need it I have access to vehicle specific wiring diagrams that will help you track down all the wires you will need. As far as soildering all the wires for your alarm? IMO it's a little extreame to go to all the work but that would be more your preference being that it's your vehicle. I would soilder the main wires comming off of the remote start relay pack but the rest? PM or Email me if I can be of help.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks again guys! I'll be sure to post how everything is going. My buddy thats helping me also has a digital cam so maybe I'll do a writeup. Hey Cebby, that site you gave me, the manuals seem to be both 2nd and third gen compliant. Well, it has both 95 and 96 stats. I don't think they changed that much from 96-98 right? The first big change was in 99 right? Well, could you help me find the file that has the wiring harness I need? I got the ignition, door locks, pwr windows, starter, and then sunroof and defogger for later...
Old 06-19-2003, 06:29 PM

Re: Matrix RS3 install

Originally posted by Rymin929
I would soilder the main wires comming off of the remote start relay pack but the rest?
Time is money in your business, so I can see why you'd want to do a quicker method of connecting the wires. Nothing any other shop wouldn't do.

In my experience, T-taps (crap) and butt connectors aren't infallible, but a soldered joint will endure. If you are taking the time to do it yourself on your own rig, might as well do it the most reliable way. (IMHO)
Old 06-19-2003, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Matrix RS3 install

Originally posted by Cebby
Time is money in your business, so I can see why you'd want to do a quicker method of connecting the wires. Nothing any other shop wouldn't do.

In my experience, T-taps (crap) and butt connectors aren't infallible, but a soldered joint will endure. If you are taking the time to do it yourself on your own rig, might as well do it the most reliable way. (IMHO)
True, true, however I've never seen a "bad" t-tap, many not properly installed but never a bad one. I have and would use a t-tap on my own personal alarms just because there not pulling anything, just sending a signal. Other than the previously stated wires. You are right in the overall connection though.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by turboale
Hey Cebby, that site you gave me, the manuals seem to be both 2nd and third gen compliant. Well, it has both 95 and 96 stats.
I only saw one sheet that said 96 (the door lock wiring one). I think you ought to get a manual or take up Rymin's offer of the vehicle specific diagram (these are usually put out my the alarm manufacturers for their installers - it will give you exactly what you need and nothing you don't)

An electrical manual is like $38 from Toyota. It is separate from the big body manual (those are like $80+)
Old 06-19-2003, 06:49 PM

If you have an email add I can send you one in a word document. I don't think I can attach it from here.