Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers

Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers

I searched (here and other forums) for a source for replacement turn signals and clear lenses for my ARB bumper. And while I found several sources for the ARB indicator lights (ARB part #: 3500080) and clear lenses (sold by Gamiviti) separately... I felt there was no reason these should not be available together in one package.

So I continued my search and found the answer on a Jeep forum (go figure)... It turns out that the turn signal assemblies used by ARB are the same as those found in the European VW Golf MK2 (small bumper). They are widely available and both signals can be had with various lenses (amber, clear and smoke) for $35 a set. This is half the price of buying the ARB lights and clear lenses separately... and I'm saving pennies to buy some sliders from WabFab, so it's a no brainer.

I bought a set from UROTuning (out of Tampa) and they drop shipped them to me the day after I ordered them. I received them a few days later via USPS and got a chance to install them today. I had a good experience with this vendor, so I don't mind posting a link to the set I purchased for those interested: http://www.urotuning.com/shop/mk2mk1...ar-p-1307.html

Here are a few pics of today's install:

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-driver-off.jpg

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-driver-.jpg

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-front.jpg

Last edited by mickwheeler; 05-05-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Photos didn't show up in thread
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Follow up

Before someone asks the question... Yes, these are significantly brighter than the original ARB lights.

Here are a few more shots...

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-back.jpg

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-passenger-off.jpg

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-passenger-.jpg
Old 05-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
ughhh... i need clear lens for a 2nd gen TJM bumper.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm sure that there's a similar replacement for the TJM bumpers... what model do you have?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Check out this thread, it may be just what you're looking for... it lays out how to accomplish clear signals on a 2nd Gen TJM bumper.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7237

I hope it helps. In the meantime, I'll keep searching for a direct replacement for the TJM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good info Mick and thanks for the link-is that a normal Phillips head screw to hold the lens to the lamp? or a star pattern?

the picture is throwing me off a bit...maybe it's just the angle on the website.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats nice if i had that bumper id make a led board to fit in there it be really cool then
Old 05-09-2010, 08:01 PM

@Ron - The lens screws are indeed Phillips. The signals came with their own anchors, but I threw them away (they were square) and used the anchors already in the tabs of the bumper (which are round).

@elton - I'm in the process of converting all my lights to LED and HID... but building an LED board would be much more trouble than buying an 1156 style LED bulb, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ya its not to hard just takes a little time soldering
Old 05-09-2010, 08:18 PM

@elton - I'm sure you're right... just no time. Adding the rear-view camera, fabbing and welding a new rear bumper have consumed all of my free time. However, I reserve the right to ask you for advice when the time does arrive.

Last edited by mickwheeler; 05-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 PM

for a guy with only 25 posts Mick you are a wealth of great info sir.

You have always been most helpful with audio issues as well, and the CB radio.

If you have a link to your rear camera setup that has my interest as well.

Next question regarding these VW oriented lamps and lenses-they have to be spliced in yes? I will pay closer attention this time, not sure how I missed the reply last time-within mere moments of when I asked it!

Very glad to have you around on this fine forum and I made folks over on T4R aware of this also in the "Pimp Zone" section.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 PM

@Ron - Thank you for the kind words. If you're interested in a rear view camera, I'll be happy to assist with info, advice and a list of my mistakes.

As for the turn signals, I used Scotch locks (the same as the ARB supplied signals) to splice into the OEM signal wires, then water-proofed and taped them.

I've pressure washed the bumper several times since the install with no water incursion into the new signals... so they still get my recommendation.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 PM

Truck is looking great Mick.

Nah I am months away from doing anything on a rearview camera-it's just an idea I am toying with. I have no real desire or cash for in dash screen so my ghetto-cheapie version would be a simple portable digital TV with auxiliary input. I would use that with a cheapo wireless camera set up. I believe I have seen Rock Slide mention some are available thru Amazon or Ebay vendors.

I like the look of those lenses- and the ARB lamp bodies have me a bit worried on their longevity. They just strike me as flimsy and cheap.

Simply based on your recommendation I think I am going to order up a pair from your source. I am such a sucker for free shipping....
Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 AM

My rear view camera was $30 shipped from Amazon, so the cost of adding a screen and the installation labor would be the bigger concern. Non-touch screens can be had for less than $100, which keeps your total cost down.

Wireless cameras are a rather elegant solution in that they can be used in multiple vehicles (without the hassle of removing power/signal wires), can be aimed a things other than rear view (like axles/rocks) and can be installed in minutes. The trade off for this convenience is cost... most decent wireless systems (Audiovox, Panasonic, etc.) start around $250.

I'll also be happy to walk you through camera types/uses if you get to that point... CMOS, CMD, CCD sensors, IR illumination, alignment/distance grids, mirror imaging, etc.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 AM

got my lamps and lenses within 3 days of order -thanks Mick for the linkup.

Finishing up the Mr2 project then those are going on the Runner.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Glad to help sir. Let me know how the install goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 PM

done with the MR2 water pump and tbelt Mick.

Ready to wire up the Uro lights. If you can direct me to which wire is which I will not have to blow any fuses figuring it out incorrectly for myself...

I presume the second pigtail on the VW lights is strictly a ground but honestly other than hit and miss I am at a loss to figure out the intelligent way to go about this sir. I presume I could follow a colored wire up to the lamp body to determine a positive and a negative but from there I stumble. I'm not a total idiot with wiring, but half idiot is probably applicable description...

for example when I was running power to my in dash CB I thought I was so smart in tracing the power wire to one of the Cig lighters. But the one I thought was the power was the ground and vice versa...

brain flash-I presume I could simply look at the 99 wiring diagram to determine the supply side of the equation but then I would still be iffy on the new lights side.

And if you have made progress on your rear view camera set up I am of course quite curious how that is going. If you have a thread link I would welcome not having to search for it.

pictured is the brains of the family- my son Max, recent high school grad with the supervising pup atop the aforementioned mister two.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-0607mr2-completed-wp-tbelt-changeout-009.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM

In this case, you're in luck... because these are incandescent bulbs (instead of LED) and the housings are plastic (and thus not used for grounding purposes), the polarity doesn't matter.

Simply Scotch-Lock the two wires from the new signal to the two wires leading to the original signal socket. Don't bother with the diagram... It doesn't matter which goes to which.

As for the rear-view camera, I finished that install before I did the write-up on the turn signals. I didn't take photos or document my progress for two reasons... 1: I didn't know what would be involved with the install or the wiring and 2: I also didn't know where it would end up (tailgate, bumper, etc)

I ended up mounting it in the license plate surround (removing it and drilling a hole in the plastic and the sheet metal behind it) and routed the power/signal wires with the rear window ECU wiring. This meant that I had to fish a two-conductor power wire from the reverse light on the driver side (also Scotch-Lock and waterproofed), up through the rear pillar to the tailgate wiring. I brought the signal wire down the interior of the pillar (by removing the plastic surround) and then under the carpet to the front.

The above is a simplified explanation, I just looked on the forum for disassembly instructions for the tailgate interior... the rest was an exercise in patience. I'll be happy to give specific advice via PM if you like.

Good luck with the signal install. Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM

thanks Mick-now up to 35 postings and each one a gem.

I will tear into this on Thursday and see how it goes. Thanks for confirming on the ground connection being a separate connector. Don't see how I can possibly screw it up.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with Ron, Mick...definitely one of the best "newbies" I've seen in years.
Truly an asset to the site, welcome!

Fink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers