Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Check engine light problem - taking it to the dealer...

Old 08-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check engine light problem - taking it to the dealer...

Some months ago I posted a problem I had with my check engine light coming on. With it also came the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights. I thought it was cleared up but it's becoming a real problem so I'm going to take it in the the dealer.

To rehash: for unknown reasons, these lights went on. Had them checked at Autozone with no real results. Guy said it could be a lot of things. Code P0446 = Evaporative Emmission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. I had it cleared, came back on a couple of weeks later. Reset the ECU to clear it and over a month later it came back on. Tried one last time just because I didn't want to look at the lights and 2 weeks later it's back. There are no noticable differences in performance as far as I can tell and there are no mysterious noises or smells.

I'm going to take it in, but I am concerned about getting jerked around since I've got absolutely no clue about this sort of problem. My original thought is that this might be one of those little things that they do to make you go in for service. I had the 36k done but not the 45k. Not sure about that, just an idea.

Do they charge to check it out? What should I expect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Check engine light problem - taking it to the dealer...

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Some months ago I posted a problem I had with my check engine light coming on. With it also came the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights. I thought it was cleared up but it's becoming a real problem so I'm going to take it in the the dealer.

To rehash: for unknown reasons, these lights went on. Had them checked at Autozone with no real results. Guy said it could be a lot of things. Code P0446 = Evaporative Emmission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. I had it cleared, came back on a couple of weeks later. Reset the ECU to clear it and over a month later it came back on. Tried one last time just because I didn't want to look at the lights and 2 weeks later it's back. There are no noticable differences in performance as far as I can tell and there are no mysterious noises or smells.

I'm going to take it in, but I am concerned about getting jerked around since I've got absolutely no clue about this sort of problem. My original thought is that this might be one of those little things that they do to make you go in for service. I had the 36k done but not the 45k. Not sure about that, just an idea.

Do they charge to check it out? What should I expect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A case for extended warranty here.

Got any warranty left? If you do I would imagine it would be covered under that. If not, I would ask all my questions up front about what it is going to cost and not get nailed with a big bill after the fact. Make sure they call you with what they find out and what they recommend doing BEFORE they go ahead and do it. You'll be richer for it later!

My 0.02.

Brian
Old 08-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Check engine light problem - taking it to the dealer...

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Code P0446 = Evaporative Emmission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction.
This code usually means hat there is a pressure leak somewhere in the evaporative system on the car. There are several reasons for this which include: gas cap is leaking or faulty, the fuel filler pipe (it may be venting some pressure due to a clamp being loose), all the Evap Emission hoses could potentially have a leak and finally the vapor canister could have a stuck valve if there is one.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the assistance guys. Waskilly - no warranty left, I just hit 50k yesterday. Besides that I'm sure they would try and void it if it was at all possible due to my modded intake.

MTL - is there any way for me to check any of that myself or am I just better off having the dealer look at it and trust them to not screw me?

Just for an update, I took it to the dealer to make an appointment so no actual diagnosis yet. The tech guy said usually with 4Runners it is the O2 (I hope not) or the MAF. My friend's O2 went bad on his '00 Taco, so I suppose I believe it. Just in case I cleaned the MAF, air filter and throttle body today. Not sure if I should reset the ECU or not because the appt. is next friday and it needs to be on for them to diagnose it. I'll give details for what I find out.

Last edited by Toyota Punk; 09-10-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:19 PM

this is what I have so far

waskillywabbit x 1
sdastg1 x 1
vegasboyy x 1
PoorHouse x 1
TOR x(5?)
mpulver x 1
dbullock15 x 1
dexter x 1
phong x 1
Amir904 x 1
rixham x 1
playswithfire x 1

Update: Below is a quote on the TRD parts you inquired about. If you would like to order these reply to this with your billing/shipping and CC info. or \

20 96'-00' TRD superchargers 00602-17620-201

$2499.42ea $49988.40

WTF? search continues..........at this i'm thinkin i'd be better buying it on Ebay

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 09-10-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:49 AM

haha Mill I think you posted in the wrong thread dood. The group buy on the supercharger is the OTHER thread
Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
That's what I thought...

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
haha Mill I think you posted in the wrong thread dood. The group buy on the supercharger is the OTHER thread
I read that a while back and thought he was tripping, but you know what they say, don't wake up a sleepwalker or they'll freak on ya or die...so I was just gonna let him figure it out!

Brian
Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, my mom has a 2001 highlander, the VSC light and the check engine light went on yesterday and stays on all the time now... Could it be the O2 sensor too? We should have just gotten her a 4runner since she drives in broccoli fields everyday... her muffler has so many dents in it....

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Just in case anyone was following this thread, I went to my appointment at the dealer today and it turns out the problem was along the lines of what MTL suggested. The VSV valve was stuck open. Replacement part $44, labor $150. :pat: But what are ya gonna do? I have no idea what a VSV valve is or where it's located so I couldn't very well fix it myself.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Wow... on the highlander, it was a hose that fell off, I actually found it and was looking for where it fits, but my mother was in a hurry to go out and couldnt wait for me to figure it out, so she spent $75 at the dealership to get it fixed the next day......