Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Check engine light diagnosis tools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light diagnosis tools?

'98 4runner SR5 V6 Auto 4x4 94250 miles

My check engine light came on today, and I need to figure out why. My Toyota dealer is $97 an hour so I'm not real eager to take it to them. I'm not 100% on the local toyota shops, and besides, I would like to do it myself if possible. It's more fun that way.

So what tools do you people use to figure out the reason for the check engine light? one of those little hand held code readers or something that connects to a PC? Would one of those little OBDII readers that stores info to a memory work?

Should I just take to the shop?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to an advance auto, autozone, napa, or any auto parts store and ask them to pull the code for you...

they almost never have a problem doing it..just write the code down and come back to the forums!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

like what macrunner stated.... Get the codes pulled with an obd2 scanner. It is free at Autozone.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to buy an OBD II scan tool there is lots of info on here about that too.
If you just want to know the codes cheap, go to Autozone.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:12 AM

its agreed = free loaners from autozone
or they will pull it for free
Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 PM

I was thinking that a code reader might be a good investment. Is there something I should look out for when buying a reader? I'm looking for one without a requirement for a PC. I want a little hand held code reader, or one of those memory based things.
(like this http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...p_products.asp)
Does anybody know if these little car chip things would work for getting a code? or will I have to get one of these http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?3352 type things? or would I have to get one of those ones that hooks up to the OBD2 and PC at the same time?

I've searched and red the millions of posts on these things and I'm still left in the dark. From what I read, it looks like most of you are using the OBD2 to PC connection type readers. I didn't want to do that, so I was trying to find another way. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Oh, and my Autozone wants $200 deposit (incl. tax) of which the non tax part is refundable, or so the guy said.

Last edited by r854rnr; 02-09-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r854rnr
I was thinking that a code reader might be a good investment. Is there something I should look out for when buying a reader? I'm looking for one without a requirement for a PC. I want a little hand held code reader, or one of those memory based things.
Does anybody know if these little car chip things would work for getting a code? or will I have to get one of these http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?3352 type things? or would I have to get one of those ones that hooks up to the OBD2 and PC at the same time?

I've searched and red the millions of posts on these things and I'm still left in the dark. From what I read, it looks like most of you are using the OBD2 to PC connection type readers. I didn't want to do that, so I was trying to find another way. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Oh, and my Autozone wants $200 deposit (incl. tax) of which the non tax part is refundable, or so the guy said.
Kevin, the type of scanner you get really depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is read codes, then either of the 2 you mentioned should work fine (not sure on the first one but definately the second). If you actually want access to all the sensor outputs then you'll need something a little more sophisticated.

Most people on YT use one of two systems:

1) Windows PC based ($100 on website) - http://obddiagnostics.com/

2) Windows PC or Palm PDA or based ($150-200 ebay) - http://www.auterraweb.com/

The reason they are fairly cheap is because you are using the PDA or laptop as a display, so all you really need is the interconnect hardware and the software to run it.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:20 PM

I have one of the EQUUS readers and love it. I use it on all my family and friends '96 and newer cars. I have used it to diagnose a couple of problems on my runner and fixed myself.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Kevin, the type of scanner you get really depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is read codes, then either of the 2 you mentioned should work fine (not sure on the first one but definately the second). If you actually want access to all the sensor outputs then you'll need something a little more sophisticated.

Most people on YT use one of two systems:

1) Windows PC based ($100 on website) - http://obddiagnostics.com/

2) Windows PC or Palm PDA or based ($150-200 ebay) - http://www.auterraweb.com/

The reason they are fairly cheap is because you are using the PDA or laptop as a display, so all you really need is the interconnect hardware and the software to run it.

I don't really have a laptop or pds handy, so that would be additiona costs for me. But it makes sense.

"I have one of the EQUUS readers and love it. I use it on all my family and friends '96 and newer cars. I have used it to diagnose a couple of problems on my runner and fixed myself."
What Equus do you have? I think there are 2 OBD2 models. The 3100 and something else that I forget. :pat:

Thank you both for your help.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM

that is not free, nor legal. talk to the manager or the BBB.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Since the local Autozone is about 8 miles away, I decided to purchase the EQUUS 3100. So far it has been great... I've used it about 6 times on various cars...
Old 02-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by surf4runner
that is not free, nor legal. talk to the manager or the BBB.
I forgot, I was going to comment on that too. Unless a sale took place (which is why the deposit is there or in the case of a tool rental, they somehow profited from it) then they must refund ALL monies tendered. So for all intents and purposes, you basically bought the tool, used it and returned it for a full refund........they have no leg to stand on there for witholding taxes.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-10-2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 AM

I got the Actron one they sell at Autozone not the least expensive one but the next one up and have used on my truck a couple of times and on my Moms car several times. Before I got on the forums and I had the reader I took it to the dealer to check a code and basically paid 150 bucks so they could tell me that I needed to clean the MAF cause it got oily from my K&N. Wish I had just bought one to begin with.

Last edited by 98taco4x; 02-10-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Thread Hijack:
Does any of the code readers mentioned above use a paramter screen? The one i used when I was working for GM had parameters so I could read what was going on with the vehicle I.E. misfire datas, voltage supplies, and so on to more accurately diagnose a vehicle. I don't want to buy just a general code reader when I can actually have the ability to "see" what is going on with the vehicle. The only one I knew of for public use was a brand called VETEC but it was $10,000 yikes!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Thread Hijack:
Does any of the code readers mentioned above use a paramter screen? I don't want to buy just a general code reader when I can actually have the ability to "see" what is going on with the vehicle.
I bought the Actron cp9145 for $200. from pepboys. This scanner display's alot of the sensor's values. So far it seems to be decent and I havn't had any problems with it .

Old 02-10-2006, 04:57 PM

Does any of the code readers mentioned above use a paramter screen?
Both of the ones that Jamie (MTL_4runner) mentioned will let you see the various values that are exposed through the OBD II interface.

Know though that different vehicles will expose different parameters. Toyota trucks are pretty much the same across the board, but a Camry may be different, or a GM, or a Ford, etc...
Old 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM

I'm assuming that is different for the 3rd gen vehicles? For my '91, i picked up a little pin block that plugged into the diagnosis plug (i think is was just a jumper for two pins) and read the blinking CEL. Is it harder than that for my '02? Do you really need a scanner to read the codes?

Please enlighten - oh great yota board!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
I bought the Actron cp9145 for $200. from pepboys. This scanner display's alot of the sensor's values. So far it seems to be decent and I havn't had any problems with it .

I didn't realise that Actron had parameter access, Thanks! Also can you control any of the parameters? I know on the one I mentioned above you could adjust TPS, oxygen/fuel mixtures, ect. That would be great if it does.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't realise that Actron had parameter access, Thanks! Also can you control any of the parameters? I know on the one I mentioned above you could adjust TPS, oxygen/fuel mixtures, ect. That would be great if it does.
I don't think that the ECU on Toyota's will let you adjust any of the parameters that are pre-programmed, but domestic vehicles may be different. I don't think any of the scanners mentioned can do that (ie they are only in one way communications with the OBD data). If you want to play with vehicle parameters you either need a very expensive universal scanner or a manufacturer specific programming tool (both options are huge $$$$). Most get around this issue (including those on YT) by using piggyback controllers to modify/condition signals or inputs to achieve similar results.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-11-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob
I'm assuming that is different for the 3rd gen vehicles? For my '91, i picked up a little pin block that plugged into the diagnosis plug (i think is was just a jumper for two pins) and read the blinking CEL. Is it harder than that for my '02? Do you really need a scanner to read the codes?
Any vehicle from 1996 on will have an OBD II interface, and some will still have the "old school" diagnostic connector under the hood where you jumper a couple of pins and read codes from the blinking CEL.

The OBD II interface was (is!) a Godsend in terms of being able to get information about errors (too rich, misfires, etc) and general runtime params (ltft, timing advance, fuel consumption, etc) but yes... to use the interface you'll need a box.

You can buy a simple "code reader" for $30(ish) which will let you see the code number when the CEL is on. To do more, like read engine params, you'll need more of a box. The Actron is a good stand-alone example, Jamie gave an example (that we both have) for Palm handhelds and another for PCs, and there are others for both.