Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Check engine light on

Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light on

I have a 1996 4runner Limited Edition 4WD with 117,000miles. I only had major brake job done recently and never had any other problems.

One day, I started my engine and the engine light came on and has been on for 2 days now.

I look throught manual, but it is not clear on how to check the code.

How can I check the code myself? I used to have a Toyota Supra and I used jumper wire to connect to connectors and the engine light flashes and that shows me the code.

Thanks,

Denet
Old 08-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Autozone should be able to read it for free. Any symptoms associated with this CEL?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by denet
I have a 1996 4runner Limited Edition 4WD with 117,000miles. I only had major brake job done recently and never had any other problems.

One day, I started my engine and the engine light came on and has been on for 2 days now.

I look throught manual, but it is not clear on how to check the code.

How can I check the code myself? I used to have a Toyota Supra and I used jumper wire to connect to connectors and the engine light flashes and that shows me the code.

Thanks,

Denet
Where are you?
If you're in CA you won't be able to pull the codes from Autozone.
Is 1996 OBDII? I don't remember.
If it is you can pick up a generic code reader from Harbor Freight and it seems to work pretty well. The only issue I had with it was an "E" when I plugged it into my buddy's Integra. It's always worked for my truck.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

I got my code pulled from Autozone Well, they let me borrow a machine and I had to do it myself...real easy though.
If your truck seems to be running fine even with the light on then my guess is that its the "system too lean" code....most likely a bad MAF. Happened to me a few months ago.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Is 1996 OBDII? I don't remember.
Yeup... 96 was when it all started.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 AM

Thank you.

I drove with check engine light on for more than 500 miles now and nothing wrong has happened yet.

I live in Southern California, near Pomona. I will check with Autozone and Pepboys. They are the two most popular auto stores here.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

I drove with check engine light on for more than 500 miles now and nothing wrong has happened yet.

I live in Southern California, near Pomona. I will check with Autozone and Pepboys. They are the two most popular auto stores here.

Thanks, everyone.
Yep, I'll bet you're running lean. I drove my truck around for a little over a month with my CEL on...although one day on the freeway the engine started clicking whenever I applied gas...needless to say I took it in the next day
But yeah, sounds like you're running lean and may need a new MAF.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some 95s are OBDII. My wife's American-built 95 Camry XLE is OBDII compliant but the input is shaped differently than my 98 4runner
Bob
Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Yep, I'll bet you're running lean....
Wow that's a leap.
Without the code, any guess as to what it could be - and any related diagnosis - is invalid.

Denet, find a way to get the code - Autozone, the dealer (they'll charge you), buy an OBDII reader, borrow one, etc. and then post the code here so we can help you figure out what to do next.

There's also a list of all the "P" codes here:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/dr_z_obd/dr_z.htm
Old 08-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
Yep, I'll bet you're running lean. I drove my truck around for a little over a month with my CEL on...although one day on the freeway the engine started clicking whenever I applied gas...needless to say I took it in the next day
I agree.....without pulling the code any diagnosis is total pie in the sky.
My check engine light was an O2 sensor so it really varies....pull the code first!

Also OBD II was federally mandated for 1996 (so all vehicles 1996 and newer all must comply with the regulation) but a select few vehicles may also have it in 1995 (like Bob's Camry).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-16-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:52 PM

Still need help on check engine light on, What's MAF?

I went to Autozone and borrowed the OBDII scanner.

Here's what I happened:
I accidentally disconnected plugs from ECM behind the glove box while searching the OBDII insert. I finally located OBDII plugs under the steering wheel, I plug in the OBDII scanner and turn key to ON position and the check engine light on is no longer there.

Somehow I reset the check engine light code. Now the OBDII scanner shows pass status.

How can I get the code back?

What does MAF stand for?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

I went to Autozone and borrowed the OBDII scanner.

Here's what I happened:
I accidentally disconnected plugs from ECM behind the glove box while searching the OBDII insert. I finally located OBDII plugs under the steering wheel, I plug in the OBDII scanner and turn key to ON position and the check engine light on is no longer there.

Somehow I reset the check engine light code. Now the OBDII scanner shows pass status.

How can I get the code back?

What does MAF stand for?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Only way to get the code back is to drive it until it comes back. If there is indeed a problem, then the light will magically reappear......no worries there. Once the CEL is back then plug into the OBD II port under the steering wheel and pull the codes and post what you get here.

MAF stands for Mass Air Flow sensor.....located just after the airbox (set of wires connected to the intake tube). My hunch is that your problem does not lie there (MAF was more of a problem on 99+ 4runners) but we'll see when you post the code for us to help you out.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-18-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:23 AM

Inexpensive OBDII Code Reader

Hi guys. I found a a pretty good web page (www.diydiagnostics.com). I ordered one of the scanners and was able to get the trouble code, fix my car, and shut off the engine light with it. It really worked well! Seems like a pretty good price at $54.99 plus about 4 bucks for shipping. The tool works great. It gives you more control over viewing/clearing codes than some others. Plus, it has a nice length cord so that you don't have to spend time with your head underneath your dashboard. It says it Works on 1996 and newer GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and some others. No computer required. It also comes with a handy code booklet to tell you what the codes mean. Thought you might find it helpful....

Last edited by mattandleah; 01-22-2006 at 10:24 AM.