Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

To Charge or not to Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Charge or not to Charge?

Well here I am getting my donor motor rebuild and wondering if I really want that SC in garage to live on my motor. I drive a good bit each year, about 30-50k miles. The SC is in good shape and I'm in the middle of doing the snout though considering sending it off (time restrictions). The cons I can think of are additional fuel management cost and fuel cost (should only run premium) not to mention the additional consumption though driving like I do that could be minimal. In short it would be a SC, 2.2" URD pulley, URD 7th inj., and perhaps the af calibrator. I just keep hopping on and off the fence about what to do here. I can deal with fixing just baout anything on my rig but the SC adds complexity (belt, impelers, and so on) some sound advice would be appriciated.

A
Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your getting a rebuild why do you need a supercharger? Do you haul anything,worried about being under-powered? Or do you drive your rig mostly empty when accumulating those 30 to 50k miles yearly?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
If your getting a rebuild why do you need a supercharger? Do you haul anything,worried about being under-powered? Or do you drive your rig mostly empty when accumulating those 30 to 50k miles yearly?
New engine (rebuild) still only 186hp, yes I tow a small military trailer and a 6x10 cargo trailer form time to time. It's ok powered now with the 4.88's but still lacks (or maybe it's in my head). Not the rig is armored, dual battery, full size spare, co2 tank, winch, 70lbs of tools, roll bar, etc. When traveling long distances she weighs more. It's not about the speed at which I get there more about power. But with power comes compromised fuel economy.

A
Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Personally, I'd take advice from people that run, or have ran, the SC'r.

Do you have a 5-speed? (I forget). If not, don't forget the much needed VB upgrade to the auto tranny ($700+). If you do have a 5-speed, watch your shifts or you'll be replacing a clutch quick-like.

My fuel mileage didn't really change (but yes, you do need to run premium). For you, at 30-50K mi per year, and doing some rough math, figure an extra $450 or so per year in fuel cost (40K miles / 17mpg*$0.20) to run premium.

The passing power is phenomenal. If you're on the highway a lot it could be argued that it's not necessary, but I've been in more than one spot where it was either slam on the brakes or blast past the big rig (merging into my lane!). It was awesome to have that power available. Additionally, when your rig is loaded down with gear/people, you can pass slower vehicles in a much safer manner on two lane roads. And lets not forget that lane that merges after the stoplight turns green; gone are the days of the soccer mom in the Honda Odyssey smoking me, lol. So what you'll need to answer is are those things worth it to you? You'll get a lot of "dude, it's not a sports car, why make it fast?" comments. Then you'll take them for a ride. They'll change their tune real quick.

Another thing to consider is that the SC'r isn't really going to lose value. So depending on what you paid of course, you'll most likely get your money back (especially since they don't make them anymore). Just not your gas money.

So it all really depends on a number of things, many of which we cannot decide for you. Your financial situation, driving style, etc. all come in to play. I tend to be a more aggressive driver, so it suits my style nicely (that is when I get to drive it! - the wife and kid get it these days). The 5VZFE is just too underpowered in my opinion. The SC'r puts it where it should be.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-10-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM

I've been in the same boat as you, then again I don't have one just sitting in my garage! If I did I honestly wouldn't be able to help myself and install it. The investment is large for the potential headaches in my opinion which is prohibiting my initial buy-in. I'll cope until a more powerful vehicle will replace this one most likely.

Last edited by CYi5; 12-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM

charge, always charge...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Do eeet!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you need the power,or another truck altogether if money for gas is a concern.I say go for it and SC it,or park it and buy something with more power and more economical that wont eat you alive in gas.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM

For what it's worth, I have had the SC installed since day one in '00 and I have no fuel upgrades (unless you call the "free FMU" a fuel upgrade), no tranny upgrades, and have run regular gas (87 octane) for the last six years. I do get a little high gear low rpm ping, but I have adjusted my driving habits to minimize it. The rare ping is no worse than when I was running super. I assume the ECU has adjusted to the low octane by retarding the timing a bit.
Almost 130K miles later my engine hasn't exploded, I haven't blown 2nd gear, and I haven't spent a lot of extra money on gas.
Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe my time is about to come, but I have had nine years of pure driving pleasure with my ticking time bomb.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM

I would not be able to look at a s/c in my garage and not put it on. of course I bought a honda daily driver so I dont care about mpg.

But really bolt the damn thing on! I dont see how you would not love it.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 PM

First off, if you've got a s/c in your garage, there's no reason it shouldn't be on your motor. It sounds like you're on track for a nice setup that you won't be dissappointed with.

Secondly, your fuel consumption concerns can be eased a little if you stick with the stock pulley instead of the 2.2. But, if you've already gone that far you might as well go all the way.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Well the 2.2 was chosen though not purchased yet because the stock one was mangled during removal (red loc tite ...don't ask) so if I can find a stock one that will be an option.

A
Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Well the 2.2 was chosen though not purchased yet because the stock one was mangled during removal (red loc tite ...don't ask) so if I can find a stock one that will be an option.
Not suprising, they're a PITA to get off and you need the right tools. I'm sure someone around here (maybe someone named Okie ) would offer to trade you their stock pulley for the 2.2.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SkidPalace
For what it's worth, I have had the SC installed since day one in '00 and I have no fuel upgrades (unless you call the "free FMU" a fuel upgrade), no tranny upgrades, and have run regular gas (87 octane) for the last six years. I do get a little high gear low rpm ping, but I have adjusted my driving habits to minimize it. The rare ping is no worse than when I was running super. I assume the ECU has adjusted to the low octane by retarding the timing a bit.
Almost 130K miles later my engine hasn't exploded, I haven't blown 2nd gear, and I haven't spent a lot of extra money on gas.
Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe my time is about to come, but I have had nine years of pure driving pleasure with my ticking time bomb.
That's interesting, what plugs do you run and how long do they last? Also what size pulley? I know TRD did come out at one point with a bigger than stock pulley to cut the boost down for people without fuel mods, any chance you are running one of those?

Also you have one of the newer ECUs and they do adjust better to the boost than the older models did. I think you also have an A/F sensor in front on that too, right? All this stuff helps.

To the OP, I'm just going to say I'm not taking mine off.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-11-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I know TRD did come out at one point with a bigger than stock pulley to cut the boost down for people without fuel mods..
Interesting, I didn't know that...what size was it?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by okie81
Interesting, I didn't know that...what size was it?
I don't remember offhand, IIRC it limited the boost to about 5 psi. You know for a long time TRD said the SCer didn't need anything else, just bolt it on and go. Then as time went on they realized (probably due some to Gadget's research at URD) there was a need for more fuel and their cheap band-aid fix was just to reduce the boost with a bigger pulley (IIRC it was free to those that had the dealer install the SC). Then they came out with their expensive fix the TRD 7th injector.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-11-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Well not to sounds like an ass hat but 450-500 a year for fuel costs doesn't sound like it would even be noticed, lets see cut back on Starbucks cappuccino at $4 a pop 2x a week ...... is $384 a year so pretty much be a home brewer and tada fuel cost covered. I was also considering the wifi unit for the obdII and utilizing my i phone further. I think the 2.2 will be a better choice especially with the 7th inj. Well I've run out of patience and am going to send this snout off to a place in GA to rebuild it. Unless anyone has some insight as to how it comes apart, I'm sure it's simple as it's not very intricate.

A
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 AM

I love my supercharger, and would not want my truck any other way.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
... lets see cut back on Starbucks cappuccino at $4 a pop 2x a week ...... is $384 a year so pretty much be a home brewer and tada fuel cost covered.
Great analysis, I try to tell my girlfriend the same thing (she's a daily addict though) trying to get her to comprehend how much it costs her per year....rediculous. $4/day x 240 working days.... Almost $1000 a year!

Anyways.... I've been really interested in the OBDII iphone app so if you get any good info, please post.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by okie81
Great analysis, I try to tell my girlfriend the same thing (she's a daily addict though) trying to get her to comprehend how much it costs her per year....rediculous. $4/day x 240 working days.... Almost $1000 a year!

Anyways.... I've been really interested in the OBDII iphone app so if you get any good info, please post.
Well I saw the SEMA pictures then nothing.... then saw some items on URD's site as well as a trend that likely been developing using wifi to transmit data be it in car or in shop.
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518993

A

Quick Reply: To Charge or not to Charge?