Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CEL+VSC lights on and bad lurching: Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL+VSC lights on and bad lurching: Help!

I have an '02 4Runner 3.4L auto with ~74K miles. Yesterday, I was headed to a meeting with two passengers. All of a sudden, my rig started lurching badly and the CEL came on. The power came on, then went away, over and over again for about 30 seconds. As time went on, the lurching got faster and almost felt like I was driving over a set of very deep rumble strips on the road. So, I pulled over. Eventually, the CEL went out and everything seemed normal. I drove back to the office without any other issues.

Later in the evening, I was driving home and the CEL came on again, but just with a loss of power. Then both of the VSC lights came on. I have an appointment at the stealership tomorrow morning, but does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I've checked the oil, MAF, etc, but am very curious if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
I have an '02 4Runner 3.4L auto with ~74K miles. Yesterday, I was headed to a meeting with two passengers. All of a sudden, my rig started lurching badly and the CEL came on. The power came on, then went away, over and over again for about 30 seconds. As time went on, the lurching got faster and almost felt like I was driving over a set of very deep rumble strips on the road. So, I pulled over. Eventually, the CEL went out and everything seemed normal. I drove back to the office without any other issues.

Later in the evening, I was driving home and the CEL came on again, but just with a loss of power. Then both of the VSC lights came on. I have an appointment at the stealership tomorrow morning, but does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I've checked the oil, MAF, etc, but am very curious if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks!
Sounds like your abs is on the fritz. Look at this write up https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=vsc and look at the second picture and try unplugging that connector. That plug for the abs traction control and atrac. See if the luching goes away. The ASC ATRAC and ABS lights will illuminate on the dash too. That connector could be loose too. If the luching goes away the abs unit might be bad.

-Simon
Old 04-12-2007, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the input Simon. I'm thinking the VSC/ABS system might be suspect too. I've also done the AndyMod, which has worked fine. Would the ABS problem cause the vehicle to lurch like that?