Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cel p0500

Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cel p0500

Hi all,

I recently(3 months ago) privately bought a 2002 SR5 4runner 4wd with 80k. My check engine light came on yesterday so I went to Autozone and they pulled error P0500 speed sensor. My speedo,odometer,gas gauge,rev counter are all dead. The VSC off and VSC track lights are on too

I admit to very limited knowledge about cars,although I can wire a house Is this something my local guy can do (trustworthy) or should I go to the dealer? Any idea on $$?

Thank you
Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you are loosing power/ground to your combonation meter..Check the GAUGE fuse..If good...pull the combo meter and disconnect..re-connect the connectors that plug into the back of it...Pay close attention to the "A" connector...the one located behind the fuel gauge since it poweres the fuel,coolant,tach,speedo gauges....

The p0500 is the speedsensor code inside the combo meter,if it was only a speed sensor problem..your other gauges would work...That's why I think its a combo meter problem....
Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I did as suggested but no luck I'm afraid. All the connectors appeared ok. Would I be better buying a new/used cluster if the problem is inside the combo meter?

Really appreciate your taking the time to help
Old 01-06-2009, 02:34 PM

P0500 is speed sensor malfuntion

possible trouble area:
1. open/short in VSS circuit
2. vehicle speed sensor failure
3. instrument cluster problem
4. ecm

Unless you have the 2002 repair manual I would take it to the dealer. My guess is that you will need a new cluster unless it can be repaired but all other things would have to be check to make sure the root problem is solved. How are the battery cables?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM

Update on CEL P0500(went to dealer)

Update;

Sent into the Toyota dealer today here's where I am after $300 in labor They think it's the cluster but cannot guarantee that something bigger isn't causing the problem. Their suggestion is a recon. cluster which they will supply and install for $450 and cross fingers. I'm at a loss,but guess I've no choice. Anybody got any words of wisdom?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

I would think that after $300 in labor that they could confirm the cluster being bad.Meaning that they could test the harness,there are some tests to the board they can do as well to confirm it as well...It involves powering up combo meter externally and putting certain voltages through the diff. gauges...
The bottom line is that,chances are they are right,there is a problem in the main board...

But,I would not let them replace the combo meter, untill they assure you that IF the recon combo meter does not fix the problem they will not charge you for the part...since at that point you have already wasted $$ on incorrect diagnostic time...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply

I said exactly that and their answer was the new(recon) cluster would have to have my mileage put on it and therefore it'd be no good to them.

On the invoice for todays work they say they removed combo meter,checked all terminals,checked for power to all modules,observed odo display intermittently display partial reading and they attempted to bypass fuel sender,found power/signal leaves fuel sender but no power/signal returned from combo meter and therefore determined combo meter bad.

As i sit here I'm wondering

1) Could I take out my existing combo meter and just have it repaired somewhere
2) Buy the replacement and install it myself ....would need to send away for mileage setting

Ah the glory of motoring
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM

hope this helps or at least gives u a general idea

DTC P0500: VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT

CAUTION: If Engine Control Module (ECM) replacement is instructed in following test, always ensure ECM electrical connectors and ground circuits are okay. If either are defective, repair and repeat testing to confirm ECM malfunction. On models equipped with engine immobilizer, if ECM is replaced, ECM must be programmed with proper ignition key code for engine immobilizer system.

Circuit Description
Wheel speed sensors on each wheel deliver an input signal to Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) Electronic Control Unit (ECU). VSC ECU converts input signals from wheel speed sensors to a 4-pulse input signal to the instrument cluster. Instrument cluster then converts 4-pulse input signal to a rectangular waveform and then sends vehicle speed signal to ECM. ECM determines vehicle speed by using input signal. DTC is set if there is no vehicle speed signal to ECM while vehicle is being driven. Possible causes are:

Vehicle speed circuit is open or shorted between instrument cluster and ECM.
Defective instrument cluster.
Defective ECM.

Diagnostic Aids
This DTC uses two-trip detection logic. Using Toyota hand-held tester or scan tool, read FREEZE FRAME data. Freeze frame data records engine conditions when malfunction is detected.

Diagnosis & Repair
Test drive vehicle and check operation of speedometer. If speedometer operates properly, go to next step. If speedometer does not operate properly, repair speedometer as necessary. See appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article in ACCESSORIES & EQUIPMENT. Speedometer may not operate, as input signal from VSC ECU may not be input to instrument cluster.
Remove glove box for access to ECM with electrical connectors still installed on ECM. See Fig. 2 . Raise and support vehicle with one rear wheel off the ground. Place transmission in Neutral.
Disconnect electrical connector E14 at ECM. See Fig. 4 . Turn ignition on. Using voltmeter, check voltage between body ground and terminal No. 6 (Green/Orange wire) at ECM electrical connector E14 while rotating rear wheel. See Fig. 4 . This is the SP1 terminal on ECM. Voltage should pulse between zero volts and 4-6 volts. If voltage is within specification, replace ECM. If voltage is not within specification, repair open or short in Green/Orange wire and electrical connectors between ECM and instrument cluster.

Last edited by darksoldier313; 01-13-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM

I would source a used cluster from a scrapyard. They guarantee they work or a money back or replacement. As for the mileage, From what I understand the 99+ have the digital odometer and the mileage is stored in the computer not the cluster. I've seen a few ppl replace these types of clusters and mileage was correct. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM

I am not sure,but I believe the milage is stored in the EPROM inside the cluster...Although $450 is quite a bit,used meters on EBAY go for around $150.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks again, update on my sorry tale:

Last night I hit a pothole and guess what? My needles moved!! Now don't get all excited on me, the speed they registered had nothing to do with reality (75mph when almost stopped!). Makes me think there's life in the cluster somewhere! Tomorrow I bring it to a speedo repair shop who have agreed(out of curiousity"never seen them go dead like that") to look at it for free

Tune in tomorrow evening for more on this breaking(my heart) story

ps any bets?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 AM

Well guess who eventually got a new cluster then!!! The old cluster was finished...reason unknown...so I bought a used cluster and after a LOT of delay all is well again with my 4runner Thanks to all