Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB mount in 3rd Gen.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB mount in 3rd Gen.

I know there are not that many people that use CB's anymore, but I wanted one so when I went wheeling with friends, communication is simple and fast between trucks. And no need to rely on cell phone service or use your minutes.

So, I wanted to mount my CB, but didn't want it out in the open, all gaudy lookin and in the way. I couldn't find any good place to put it and then it hit me. The ash tray looked about the same width as my cheapy Radio Shack CB.

This is the result:

The install was very easy and fast. I did this to my '96 limited Runner. It took me no more than 30 minutes. All you need is a cut off wheel or substitute, (2ea) 1/4x20 3/4" carriage bolts/ nuts and (2ea) 1/2" rubber spacers or similar.

1. Remove the dash trim around the radio and heater controls.

2. Remove the ash tray and the ash tray mount (2 screws)

3. cut out the peice of plastic that prevents the CB from mounting deeper.

4. Allign the CB mounting bracket with the 2 square holes in the trim piece and put in the carriage bolts from the bottom up. Add the rubber spacers then the bracket. Tighten bolts just snug. Do not over tighten and make sure the spacers are between the trim pieces and CB bracket.

5. Insert the CB and mount it to the bracket.

6. Wire in the CB.

7. put the trim peice back in the way you took it out.

That's it. Very simple and looks great.

One other note:
It had a little "bounce" play in the back of it, so I ran a tiny 6" bungy cord from the bracket, over the back of the CB to the bottom of the trim. Holds it down nicely and you'll never see it.

Last edited by Ned; 01-19-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice and thanks for the pictures
Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Hey, that's pretty slick and looks great!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM

could you post up some pics of where you mounted your antenna and how much this project cost you if you dont mind? ive been thinking of doing the same thing
Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I did the same thing.

I mounted my antenna on the rear bumper. But, really its not a good place. You want it up above on the roof or on the hood area so the metal acts as a satellite dish for incoming radio waves.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Ned

Originally Posted by Spence1016
could you post up some pics of where you mounted your antenna and how much this project cost you if you dont mind? ive been thinking of doing the same thing
Well, I've had the CB for years. As well with the antenna. So there was no "new" cost for those, but the CB was very inexpesive. As for the parts to mount it, I paid $2.09 for the stainless carriage bolts and nuts. I found the rubber spacers in my dad's garage, but I saw the same thing (as well as nylon versions) at ACE Hardware where I got the bolts.

I have not mounted the antenna yet. I need an 18' cable ($12) and since I don't have it yet and it was 20 degrees today while installing the CB, I decided not to mount the antenna yet. But I do know how and where I'm going to put it.

I'm using a 3' Firestik type antenna. I have debated for a while where and how to mount it. There are a few options, but most I don't care for. i.e. a hood mount or roof magnetic mount etc... This is what I like the best. HERE. But since I don't have $40 to spend on a mount, I am very simply going to drill a 1/2" hole in the top of the bumper (Right under where the antenna is mounted in that link). It will be a clean, no cable showing install. And if I ever remove it, there are nice rubber cap/plugs sold in hardware stores that will cap it off nicely. I plan to use a quick connect so I can remove it easily when I'm not planning on using it. I know it's not the best place for it, but I'm not looking to get miles of range for daily use. Just wheeling use between vehicles.

Last edited by Ned; 01-19-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

i was actually thinking about doing that same thing about 2 weeks ago. i probly will eventually, Im glad i found someone that did it so i know its easy and very do able.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that custom mount even still available? That thread is in the classifieds GRAVEYARD!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Well, this is an old thread, but for the poster who was asking about antenna locations, you might able to do something similar as did with my HAM radio antenna HERE

-sc
Old 10-17-2009, 07:33 AM

Here is what I did: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...inside-183480/

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joshua
Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM

So whats the thing with all the knobs thats between the CB and the music radio??
Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM

thats exactly where i put my cb, noticed the same variables i used a lil will magnetic antenna and it great.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 AM

do you hear clearly? Because if im not mistaking the speaker is built in under the cb. That would mean you wouldnt get good sound? I really like your set up and have a similiar radio just wondering how good the sound is
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Grave digging a little bit on this thread, but just wanted to say THANK YOU! This is exactly what I am looking for, I just got my CB the other day and was so puzzled of where to install it. That spot looks perfect! *bookmarked* I'll definitely have to do this one of these days!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's where mine is also. Must be the place to put them.

CBs aren't dead. They are great for wheeling. They connect everyone. They should be mandatory for trail runs!

Last edited by Gerdo; 02-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM

I have been thinking about getting a CB in this same spot.

Do you just wire it up to the cig liter then?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM

When I installed mine I did the same. But I ran wires to connect to the battery and beefed them up so it would have limited Resistance and the best connectivity.

Heres a old pic of my center console.... Man I need to update my pics
Attached Thumbnails CB mount in 3rd Gen.-img_0329.jpg  
Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 AM

thats exactly where i have mine too... haha but ya so have u figured out wat antenna ur gonna use with it? I used to have an 8" antenna on the roof rack but i broke it when i parked in my garage the other day bc i lifted my 4runner and forgot to take the antenna off. Im thinking bout moving the coax cable to the brush guard i have in front and installing my 2' firestik i got laying around.

Does anyone have problems picking up or transmitting frequencies on a cb radio like this? My friend has a 2000 4runner limited and his cb radio doesnt work properly bc he can hear my friends and i transmitting some of the time but has never been able to communicate back. He has tried several antennas... First was the magnetic antenna (placed on the enter of roof), then was the 2' firestik and the 4' firestik (placed in the back left tail light).
Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
xskydiving dude-there is such a thing as tuning the antenna to fit the radio. I am not up on the specifics myself.. Some combination of the squelch control and gain might be all he needs. I can't help but wonder if he tried to transmit without the antenna connected which I believe can cause damage to the unit, hope that is not the case here.

my Midland 1001z is now installed and pics on my Facebook link. I am having a lot of fun playing with the Public Address feature. Without my antenna screwed in other drivers really are not sure who is messing with them...(it's ok to use the PA function without the antenna in place as far as I know...)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM

I went a different route. I used a Cobra 75wxst.

This is probably the worst photo ever, but it's the only one I have available. I installed the connector under the cigarette lighter, so most people won't know it's there. Then I keep the radio in the glove box when not in use.

Last edited by fenrisx; 04-03-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CB mount in 3rd Gen.