Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Carrier Bearing question/insight

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrier Bearing question/insight

Hey Guys,
This will officially be my first post, although i have been reading on this forum for a couple of years now. One of the best communities you guys got here!

Anyway, I have searched and searched this (and all) forums about the chirp that comes from the drivetrain (main driveshaft). For me it seems to happen only when I downshift from second to first, and I almost have to play with the clutch to get it in the right position to make the chirping sound. It does not seem to do it when accelerating. Downshifting between any other gears will not make it chirp. I can tell it is the on the driveshaft because the chirp is in sync with the shaft spinning (ie due to the rpms). Anyway, I have greased all of the fittings and I changed the differential fluid (it was time and I figured it couldn't hurt). i checked all of the U-joints for any play and they were all tight.

So, I have narrowed it down to the damn carrier bearing. I use my truck for work so it can't be out of commission for too long. There is a good URL I got for removing this and replacing this from another forum:

http://128.83.80.200/taco/cb.html

My question is the puller that is being used there, is it universal? is this something I can rent or is it a custom tool that only a shop may have? And anyone out there who has done this on there own, can I get away with only removing the front part of the driveshaft and leaving the rear part in tact at the diff.? I'm by no means a pro, but is this something I could do assuming i have tools and have a couple of days to spare? Any other potential diagnosis?

I am on a budget so I could really only afford the bearing since right now I am investing in some Brembo blanks and pads (my to-do within the next couple of weeks).

Any replies would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to more posting in the future!!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 AM

it is possiable the baearing will just fall off the carrier mine do when they are worn out. Before you start find a local small machine shop that will press it off they typically charge T&M since there is no M its all T and the T should be quick. Get a Qoute first then tear into it, you just might get lucky and have the old bearings fall out from being old
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 AM

They would pull the bearing off correct since it sits on the intermediate shaft? and to press it back on, assuming it's lined up, you can use a soft mallet to push the flange back in far enough to get the nut to thread and then use that to seat everything the rest of the way? Is it difficult to align the flange back to the original intermediate shaft assuming there are marks?

This is something I wouldn't want to screw up. I know incorrectly aligning a drive shaft can severely, well, put me in a world of hurt...

Still though is it necessary to remove the WHOLE driveshaft? Because if possible (I think it is) I would only remove the intermediate shaft and not the propeller shaft... Oh, and is Yota the best way to go for a carrier? Or are there other makers out there?

I know I write a lot but I just want to check and then check again before I dive into wrenching on this...
Old 05-02-2009, 12:29 PM

my bad, your refering to a carrier bearing for a 2 peice drive shaft ?

I am refering to a carrier bearing for a 3rd member.

I have no information to give about 2 peice drive shafts all my drive shafts have always been 1 peice. this sounds like an easy task dont you have a service manual at least a chiltons or a haynes ?
Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Yes a 2 piece drive shaft (x tra cab)

It does SOUND like it theoretically with the right extractor tool. I do have a Chiltons, but out of all things they tear down, this particular procedure is described and pictured horribly. Well, it's not even pictured, they use drawings, and none if it actually shows the bearing being extracted. This is why I'm asking for a bit more help on this one...

Any other input would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has tackled this one!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Update: The chirping is getting worse. Seems to do it while accelerating now, throughout the first and second gears ( my catback and intake drone it out I think in higher gears).

Any help or diagnosis or any answer to questions in this thread would be appreciated. I have not gotten into working too much on driveshafts so I seek expertise...