Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cargo Net Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cargo Net Mod

For all you guys who, like me, get your panties in a bunch when your gear starts to shift as you navagate those tough terrain obstacles like Thank You Ma'am's (aka Speed Bumps) and the like, I have a solution.

Here is my Toyota Cargo Net upgrade retrofit (see attached)
Old 04-14-2003, 02:56 PM

Post The DETAILS !!!

Okay, I know you're dying to know how I did this ....

First, I bought the '03 Toyota cargo net PN PT347-89030. It has two hooks and four elastic loops.

Second, buy a pack of 1/4" Steel Offset Mirror Holders, the kind used to attach a mirror to a door or wall in your home ... you know, like the full length one you have over your bed. You'll pay all of $2.00 for a pack of 4 holders, and four is all you need.

Next, get some 5/8" electrical shrink tubing and cut four 3/4" lengths. Slide the tubing over the tip of the mirror holders and push it on as far as you can, but not beyond the tip of the holder. You'll see what I mean when you see the attached pic.

Finally, use a heat gun and carefully heat the shrink tubing so that it conforms and fits snuggly on the hook.

Now all you have to do is remove the four outer screws on the rear trim garnish ( leave the middle screw in place) and install the mirror holders, now called cargo net hooks.

My dear wife thinks I should patent this but I am the kind of guy who just wants to share my brilliance with others without making a profit.

Have fun and if you like this idea ... LMK
Old 04-14-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soooo much work!!!!! and i'm soooo lazy..... haha but good idea. I would do it if I had the tools, or even knew what they were.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

That's a good idea and props on the creativity. The only problem is sliding cargo in and out - I would rip off the hooks in a second.

Good idea though.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
That's a good idea and props on the creativity. The only problem is sliding cargo in and out - I would rip off the hooks in a second.

Good idea though.

My dear wife said the same thing. She's 5.0' tall and said she could NEVER lift anything over those 1/4" hooks.

I haven't seen the "buttons" on the '03, but they have some sort of arrangement back there that is similar to what I did. I have a CatchAll mat on top of a BlackArmor liner (call me ) so there's already a hurdle back there to jump over.

Thanks for the kudo, it makes me feel better on TAX DAY. :pat:
Old 04-15-2003, 07:14 AM

The hooks on the 03 for the net are on the underside of the double decker cargo unit so the net loops wrap around the end of the cargo shelf and you don't see any hooks. Don't know how it is done or if it is done in the 03 without the double decker. Your mod looks good though.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Fast Ca$h

Nice job. So the netting just has the four loopholes on one side and two hooks that attach to the floor brackets on the opposite side, correct? How much did the cargo net set you back? I like the idea, but does anyone know if toyota makes a cargo net that just has four hooks that will attach to the four existing floor brackets in my 97?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Fast Ca$h
Nice job. So the netting just has the four loopholes on one side and two hooks that attach to the floor brackets on the opposite side, correct? How much did the cargo net set you back? I like the idea, but does anyone know if toyota makes a cargo net that just has four hooks that will attach to the four existing floor brackets in my 97?
I checked to see if they had an accessory for the pre-'03's but they didn't have one. I am sure one exists that would have 4 hooks to attach to the 4 D-rings we have on the floor.

The net has 2 hooks on one end, and those attach to the rear D-rings. The other end has four short bungee loops and those are what I attached to the four mirror holders.

Another way to do this mod is to use HD picture hanging D-rings (the kind that go on the back of the picture frame) in place of the mirror holders, and attach S-hooks to the 4 bungee straps.

The net cost me $28.50 ... and the hardware was another $2.00. :pat:
Old 04-15-2003, 01:42 PM

just wanted to ya what a great mod! I am thinking of doing it myself, just as soon as I get a cargo net!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:51 PM

I've got another mod coming up for all those real men ....

Stay tuned.