Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

carbon fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question carbon fiber hood

Does anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood w/scoop for 2000 4Runner SR5? Has anyone installed one on a car thats not black? Will it look good on silver? Please send pic if you have one.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
may i ask why?
Old 01-24-2004, 05:22 PM

VIS or veilside makes it. I think 2 or 3 people on here have on.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:35 PM

oh let me do it, let me do it

use the little green search button up top and you'll see, there have been a bunch of old threads on this subject, welcome to the board and have fun.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:48 PM

Re: carbon fiber hood

Originally posted by dantheman
Does anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood w/scoop for 2000 4Runner SR5? Has anyone installed one on a car thats not black? Will it look good on silver? Please send pic if you have one.
VIS makes them, here is a pic

here is the auction of them on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454604890

here are some pictures of my other car that is silver with a carbon fiber hood. the hood on my car is a VIS and is very nice. I want them to make one for my 90 4runner just becuase that hood is soo heavy!

I've got some better ones I'll seach around for.

If you buy one, call VIS and ask for TAK, you can tell him Eric with the E30 M3 sent you, but he probably won't remember me
Old 01-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: carbon fiber hood

Originally posted by Eric

here are some pictures of my other car that is silver with a carbon fiber hood. the hood on my car is a VIS and is very nice. I want them to make one for my 90 4runner just becuase that hood is soo heavy!
<rant>seriously, does it make any difference at all? I have no idea what an oem hood weighs nor a carbon fiber one, but I can't imagine there being more than 25lbs difference and honestly, if you think that 25 lbs is going to make a difference, why not just drive without your shoes or something? It'd save you $450. </rant>
Old 01-24-2004, 07:34 PM

true but every little bit does count. If I needed a new hood and was tired of proping up that big heavy hood, why not buy one that wiegh's 12lbs instead of 60?

as far as the wieght thing goes, every 100lbs lost is like adding 10hp, not a big deal with 4x4's but on other cars that can really help. A friend of mine has a 2300lb E30 M3 with a 330hp S14 motor (195hp stock) he removed the sunroof motor and could feel the car handle a bit better. The motor was at the top of the car, so removing it helped lower his center cg. BMW recognizes this and made the roof of the new M3csl out of carbon fiber. whole roof wiegh's 10lbs I think.

why do you think people call the lotus elise the best performing car in the world when the big italian cars quadroople (sp) the little cars engine performance? light wieght and it's all down low is a very good reason.

rant response over.

I think its silly to put a CF hood on a 4runner, or 20 inch wheels on anything (well maybe an old impalla would be cool looking cruiser) but If I had to buy a new hood and both were similar in price I would take the lighter one

edit: you got some heavy shoes
Old 01-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

If I had to buy a new hood and both were similar in price I would take the lighter one
yup, i can definitely agree with you there. i can't see that they would be the same price though, else why wouldn't toyota use carbon fiber from the factory. and how is durability? does carbon fibre rust? does it disintigrate like fibreglass if there ever was an accident?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:10 AM

A friend of mine has a 2300lb E30 M3 with a 330hp S14 motor (195hp stock) he removed the sunroof motor and could feel the car handle a bit better.
Really? For some reason I find it very difficult to believe. He didn't have TypeR sticker on his BMW, did he?
Old 01-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: carbon fiber hood

Originally posted by SizzleChest
<rant>seriously, does it make any difference at all? I have no idea what an oem hood weighs nor a carbon fiber one, but I can't imagine there being more than 25lbs difference and honestly, if you think that 25 lbs is going to make a difference, why not just drive without your shoes or something? It'd save you $450. </rant>
Relax dude
He could just be talking about something as simple as weight concern when lifting the hood for work underneath!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SizzleChest
yup, i can definitely agree with you there. i can't see that they would be the same price though, else why wouldn't toyota use carbon fiber from the factory. and how is durability? does carbon fibre rust? does it disintigrate like fibreglass if there ever was an accident?
I can't see putting one on a 4Runner unless you've really got some money to throw around but on sports car that is raced it would be a big diff. My stock hood on my Eclipse weighed in at about 40lbs and the CF replacement weighed at only 16lbs;I wanted it but at about $500 I figured that $$ would be better spent elsewhere.

Carbojn fiber will not rust and it's very strong but will sort of tear if in an accident;looks good but on a Runner it's just sorts ricey (the hood scoop is rice itself but I'd like one) but cool if you got some money to burn.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:22 AM

if your really concerned about weight and are one of those people who takes your carpet out and all why dont you just strip your paint off. All of the paint on your car can take more weight off than carpet or anything.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: carbon fiber hood

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Relax dude
He could just be talking about something as simple as weight concern when lifting the hood for work underneath!
if you struggle to lift your hood trying to change your oil or whatever, then i suggest you invest in a 6 month weight room pass to build a little extra muscle on your impressive 125lb frame.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Whatever you say...

He is just modding his rig to his liking and you guys are flaming the poor guy :pat:
I've considered some type of hydraulic for my hood so that damned stand wouldn't get in my way. I don't much care for the carbon fiber look but if I did I'm sure I'd try to work something out that way.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
...what's with all the bashing, fellas? Didn't eat breakfast?

Hey, there's alot of stuff that I wouldn't personally do to my 4runner like dubs, carbon fiber hoods, spinners, etc, etc, but the question was "Does anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood w/scoop for 2000 4Runner SR5?"

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
I've considered some type of hydraulic for my hood so that damned stand wouldn't get in my way. I don't much care for the carbon fiber look but if I did I'm sure I'd try to work something out that way.
Has anyone done a mod like that?
That would really be nice to have.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

you know if the shipping wasn't $150 bringing the price back to the price if I got an OEM hood, I would buy this hood too.

Eric -- nicer lookin beamer ya got there

Last edited by sdastg1; 01-25-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Can't you paint them? The OEM hoods come unpainted so you have no choice but to paint them, atleast you have the option with the CF. Also, it shouldn't look that noticealbe on a black truck. Yeah you notice it there b/c you looking for it, but if you saw that 4R driving down the street would you notice? Mabe make you look twice but... doubtful. Kinda like the clear tails on a white truck (IMHO of course).
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Has anyone done a mod like that?
That would really be nice to have.
You could go to a junkyard and get the hydraulic things off an Exploder (there should be plenty in the yard, for obvious reasons). I know for sure that '98 Exploders have them. Then you could just find a way to mount it.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Andrey
Really? For some reason I find it very difficult to believe. He didn't have TypeR sticker on his BMW, did he?
no type R stickers but he does campaign the car in D-mod class for BMW CCA racing, he also competes in SCCA racing and now NASA. the guys daily driver is a 2002 911 turbo. he let me drive the p-car on some foot hill back roads I know of good lord that car is fast. He was also tellimg the that the M3 is faster than the porsche since it is so light, he has better power to weight ratio.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber hood