Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Car brakes are sticky but fine in reverse. Stumped 3 Mechanics. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car brakes are sticky but fine in reverse. Stumped 3 Mechanics. Need help!

I am having this problem with my brakes. When I start my car the brakes are very sticky to the point that I have press on the gas for my car just to go forward. Often times I can feel the car pop when the brakes unstick. In reverse I do not seem to have any problems with the brakes sticking, but obviously I don't drive much in reverse.

2 times the mechanics that checked my brakes pulled off the rear drums and my car was good for about a week and there was no brake sticking. After a week though the brakes started to stick and it has gotten worse and worse. I had new brakes installed on my car back in june and unfortunately I moved out of state so I can't go back to the shop that installed them. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Did the mechanics say anything about leaking rear axle seals?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do you have any idea what was done that it worked for a week??

Was more work suggested??

Is there more to the story??

I have to think leaking seals is one possible problem and nothing was ever said or you just ignored the suggestions.

This having the rear drum brakes a New hardware kit was not installed weak return spring allowing the brakes to hang up.

The backing plate contact points were not greased allowing brakes to hang up

Brake mechanical hardware binding allowing brakes to hang up.

Emergency brake cables not releasing correct allowing brakes to hang up

All of these problems should be very easy to spot with the brake drums removed.

Knowing what to look for
Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by kball
Did the mechanics say anything about leaking rear axle seals?
When I got my brakes fixed in june they also replaced the rear axle seal. It was fairly pricey.

The first mechanic suspected it was an axle seal but I do not believe he took off the drum because the brakes were still sticking when I got it back from him. It's possible they took off the drums but I don't know why the brakes were still sticking after they looked at it. The 2nd and 3rd mechanics did not see any leaking axle seal grease and I am 100% sure they took off the brake drum. Is it possible that the axle seals completely leaked out all the grease? I am thinking this is pretty unlikely.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM

I'm thinking your brake shoes are still the original ones and they are soaked with gear oil. They need to be replaced. I'm betting these mechanics of yours are just spraying brake cleaner all over to clean it up quick and easy. Then after you drive it a week they heat up and sweat more gear oil and they stick again. If they were replaced and the seals are no longer leaking I guess it's just an adjustment issue... find mechanic number 4, 5, 6...
Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Not sure if it's any help or not but I had the same thing going on with my 85. Finally traced it to the e-brake mechanism on my rear brakes. The cable was long since gone but somehow the bracket that runs the e-brakes on the backside of the drums was stuck in the on position. I moved them to the off position and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:42 PM

^^ I think you're talking about the bell cranks for the rear drums. It's like a little lever that comes from the cable to the backside of the drums and if they stick, they can create problems.. especially popping once they let loose. Just disassemble the bell cranks and grease up the pivot points, or you could try just spraying them with some white lithium, silicon or something similar, that's what I did to mine and it doesn't stick or pop any more. Look up bell crank repair on Google if you wanna go all out, which you might have to if they're bad.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by kball
I'm thinking your brake shoes are still the original ones and they are soaked with gear oil. They need to be replaced. I'm betting these mechanics of yours are just spraying brake cleaner all over to clean it up quick and easy. Then after you drive it a week they heat up and sweat more gear oil and they stick again. If they were replaced and the seals are no longer leaking I guess it's just an adjustment issue... find mechanic number 4, 5, 6...
X2 either still leaking or never replaced shoes. Do you hear a popping sound when you start to move, then the resistance is gone?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Sounds like the parking brake is not releasing. This is more pronounced in reverse due to the physics of the brake mechanism.
I had the same issue last winter. I got the brakes to release with a hammer. That was a temp fix. To remedy the problem you will have to clean and lubricate the pivot points and parking brake mechanism. Remove the drums. Directly behind the backing plate (inside) you will find a lever with a rubber boot where the parking brake cable feeds thru. Slide the boot up and spray brake cleaner thru while moving the pivot arms (pulling the brake cable). Once it's free lubricate it with white lithium grease. Clean the excesses of the shoes. Might as well lubricate the self adjusters and the pivot points while you r in there. Be sure to get the boots seated properly or more water will get in and you will be in the same mess.
I am cautious now about leaving the truck for extended periods with the parking brake set. Especially in wet or snowy conditions. Good luck. Let me know if you need a photo this should be really obvious when you look at the truck. If u can't find it, have someone actuate the parking brake while u watch from underneath .
Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darryl01088
Sounds like the parking brake is not releasing. This is more pronounced in reverse due to the physics of the brake mechanism.
Interesting. I did not know that.

Here is an excellent DIY off a Tundra forum that I used to cure my stuck e-brake a while back:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ank-repair.pdf

Last edited by TheDurk; 12-23-2013 at 06:06 PM.