Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Canadian 4x4 laws? Would you move?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canadian 4x4 laws? Would you move?

I hear you guys SOTB talking about various laws for lifts, mufflers, etc, from time to time, and being from Canada I always had the impression that you could lift it as high as the sky if one was available? For those Canadians on here, what do our laws say? There are a zillion back roads where I'm from (British Columbia) so there is no shortange of places to go. And they certainly don't sound as heavily regulated as what most of you guys SOTB have to deal with.

Would you move for a better place to 4x4?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No but I do live in Colorado and our laws aren't too strict and the ones we do have aren't overly enforced.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

From the BC4x4 forums:

"The lowest point on the bumper can be no more than 29.5" from the ground for trucks, and 54" for the headlights. These heights are for pickups."

Those are your restrictions in BC for pickups. SUV restrictions will vary.

I don't think most people would pack up and move just for more freedom in offroading. If regulations came into effect here, I would just adapt to it before I would move.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:31 PM

Man, I'm glad I live in Oklahoma. If don't think we have any laws like that, but if we do, they aren't enforced at all. They probably wouldn't apply to me anyway, since I have a farm tag. A lot of the laws that apply to vehicles with regular tags don't apply to folks with farm tags. Our state doesn't even have basic vehicle inspections anymore!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 PM

Besides, Canada would be way too cold for me.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

"-3°C
Overcast. Light snow."

Current conditions here, not bad for this time of year at all. Woo!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

nice new avatar scofco.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks dude
I'm heading out tommorrow for a boarding trip, can't wait!

Went X-country skiing today for the first time this season. I suck!
Old 11-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned

there ar esoooo many ways around the laws... loopholes... that there is no need to move.... and according to all the bush people, 4 wheeling is saved now :rolleyes:
Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i live by the philosophy that if you act like a jerk, the cops will get you for something, especially if you drive something that stands out. a little politeness and courtesy will get you far, though there are some real slimy police out there as well
Old 11-15-2004, 02:13 AM

Depends on where your from in BC. In some places the RCMP are more likely to give you a VI ticket that in others. Seems that the lower mainland out near Abbotsford and Mission is VI heaven for the Bulls. Lots of guys on BC4x4 complain about the rules and they're getting tougher all the time. Lots of road closures in Port Coquitlam and north of Vancouver as well. Why can't they all just leave us alone.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:52 AM

i've lived in Newfoundland Canada and Now nova scotia canada.
most cops don't know the rules governing trucks and lift.

you are not allowed to have tires sticking out past the fenders.
bumpers must not exceed X height.

they dont' know these rules.. i was drunk in Newfoundland once.. and strolled up to an onduty officer.. who could not tell me the rules.

i was building a bumper on another occasion and was talking to the mechanic inspecting my truck, who could not tell me the rules on how high would be too high.

I've gone so far as to call the DMV to ask for the law, i was put on hold, and nobody returned.

If the cop can dictate the law to you.. i'll follow it. Otherwise. i do my thing!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like Kyle_22R says:
i live by the philosophy that if you act like a jerk, the cops will get you for something, especially if you drive something that stands out. a little politeness and courtesy will get you far, though there are some real slimy police out there as well
In my younger years I drove like an idiot and was starting to get a bit of a rep with the local RCMP, plus driving a jacked-up, bright red '81 toy 4x4 didn't help matters either. (http://img6.exs.cx/img6/5074/81Poser.bmp) I have found that if you respect the laws they tend to leave you alone and "BoyzWidToys" was right, most of the police that I know don't know the laws regarding 4x4's height and such.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:59 AM

Cops in my area don't seem to care at all.

WE have allot of lifted trucks around here (Most are show and shine pieces of crap)

In my old Toyota Pickup (81 Toyota pickup Buick 3.8L Engine GM 350 Turbo trans, 35" Mudders and 9" Inches of lift in total) I was once pulled over by a cop after playing in the mud, All he did was ask me to wipe the mud off my plate, than we chatted for awhile about trucks and stuff and away I went.

Besides There no better place in the world to live than Canada. We are loved around the world (Well other than you darn Yank's), and no one starts any crap with us.

Go on vacation anywhere in the world. And as soon as they find out your Canadian, your treated with great love and respect.

Last edited by 4Hummer; 02-06-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Now if this thread was titled "Canadian TAX laws - would you move?" the answer is YES! I did!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Now if this thread was titled "Canadian TAX laws - would you move?" the answer is YES! I did!

hahahahaha Ya thats a good one
Old 11-15-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Besides There no better place in the world to live than Canada. We are loved around the world (Well other than you darn Yank's), and no one starts any crap with us.

Go on vacation anywhere in the world. And as soon as they find out your Canadian, your treated with great love and respect.
well, same would've been true with us americans before the whole iraq thing
Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

canada? or do you mean america jr?
i've heard "canadia" before.

i was talking to a friend who went to europe this past summer, and she said in england for example the locals were excited to meet them. they may disagree with the bush administation, but at least they like the rest of us i can't wait to go to europe.

and kyle, people around the world have hated/loved us long before iraq. comes with the territory of being the a superpower i suppose.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 AM

OK lift laws

Originally Posted by Nathan Buchanan
Man, I'm glad I live in Oklahoma. If don't think we have any laws like that, but if we do, they aren't enforced at all. They probably wouldn't apply to me anyway, since I have a farm tag. A lot of the laws that apply to vehicles with regular tags don't apply to folks with farm tags. Our state doesn't even have basic vehicle inspections anymore!
As far as I know Nathan, 54" headlight heigth is our only lift law. Other than that, we're good to go. James's truck just makes it by 2".
Old 02-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I hear you guys SOTB talking about various laws for lifts, mufflers, etc, from time to time, and being from Canada I always had the impression that you could lift it as high as the sky if one was available? For those Canadians on here, what do our laws say? There are a zillion back roads where I'm from (British Columbia) so there is no shortange of places to go. And they certainly don't sound as heavily regulated as what most of you guys SOTB have to deal with.

Would you move for a better place to 4x4?

Diggin up the dirt.
Just for the fact that when I visited Canada and it was so clean in almost every place would keep me there. I must say Toronto has more bums on the vent grates on the sidewalk that you see in NYC. But that is changing with Mr. Bloomberg in office. I have to admit this, I never saw water so blue/clear as I did in Canada. Plus the houses are more than 1½ feet apart.

Quick Reply: Canadian 4x4 laws? Would you move?