Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can worn out shocks/struts cause vibration above 65mph? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the shop Matt?

A & R Tires Incorporated
(205) 674-6410

6518 W Jefferson Rd
Quinton, AL 35130
Old 04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

That's it. Don't be scared when you drive up and see the place. They do AWESOME work!!! Tell them Matt Averett sent you. I haven't been there in a year or so, but just mention my silver 4Runner (roof rack, vibration issues, etc.) and they'll remember me. I worked at the plant next door for almost 5 years. They're a really good bunch of guys. Family owned business for years. When I moved to the plant I'm at now, they were getting ready to expand. It's probably complete by now, so I may not recognize it if I saw it myself.

Matt
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM

Man, I have the same damn problem in my 98. As soon as i hit 65 mph then the vibrations hit. I'm sorry to hear it got the best of you, but I've even more scared of the fact that after this long thread the problem still persists. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of mine and with any luck help you with yours. My quest begins next week after pay day.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Man.... knock on wood... I feel lucky... I have 2 3/4" lift in the front of my 4runner, 1" diff drop, and I have 285s Cooper STTs that I ballanced using a reguair ballancer with no adaptors or anything... and I can go any speed from 0 - 100 MPH with ZERO vibration.....
Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Bob,
You are lucky. Very lucky. At this point, my only guess is the 265/75/16s. It's the only common denominator here. I never had these issues when I had 265/70/16s, but it makes no sense that it would cause this vibration. It's still there alright. There's one particular setup (ie when the tires are rotated a certain way) that it's better than normal, but of course that only comes around once every four rotations or so. It's getting damn aggravating. I can tell you that much, but I guess I've come to live with it even though it is driving me crazy.....still....so I guess I'm not used to it.

Matt
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 AM

Sorry for raising this post from the dead, but I have this exact same problem and have done all of the steps to pinpoint the problem. Nothing, and I still vibrate at 65mph +.

A classmate suggested that I can have my tires trued. Has anyone with vibrating problems tried this? I love my 4runner, as long as I don't have to drive it on the interstate.

edit: My 4runner specs:

1998 4Runner SR5 4WD
Goodyear Tracker Radials LT265/75R16
110,000 miles

Last edited by billie26; 09-07-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 AM

I have the same problem at about 60mph. I had a new set of tires put on and the trouble started. After 5 return visits and many words with the tire place, the mechanic took me back and showed me what he had found. The tires balanced out perfect on the machine but every wheel was out of round. I saw this with my own eyes and it wasnt obvious by just standing back and looking at the tire spin. As he spun the tire on the machine held the point of a scewdriver dead steady and pointed to the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire. He informed me that he has seen many Toyota Tacomas and 4Runners with this same problem
Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by KGSC68
I have the same problem at about 60mph. I had a new set of tires put on and the trouble started. After 5 return visits and many words with the tire place, the mechanic took me back and showed me what he had found. The tires balanced out perfect on the machine but every wheel was out of round. I saw this with my own eyes and it wasnt obvious by just standing back and looking at the tire spin. As he spun the tire on the machine held the point of a scewdriver dead steady and pointed to the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire. He informed me that he has seen many Toyota Tacomas and 4Runners with this same problem
And when I was spinning tires on a daily basis, I saw it on Chevy's and Dodges and Fords and everything else on the road.

Now, if he were to take some paint stick and LIGHTLY let it hit on the face of the tire and spin, I would be partial to believing the guy. This will show you run-out a lot better. About the only thing he could really show you would be a bent rim.

Look at your wheel weights? How many are on it? More than one? A really big weight? Is there a gap between them?

If there is, have them break the bead and spin the tire on the rim. The balancing is more effected by the heavy spots on the rim and tire combined and you can change your weights needed to balance by rotating the tire on the rim.

If you look on a new tire. There should be a white spot on it. That spot should line up with the valve stem. I never did figure out why that is, I just know between rims and tire manufacturers they figured something out and that was it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by farmerj
And when I was spinning tires on a daily basis, I saw it on Chevy's and Dodges and Fords and everything else on the road.

Now, if he were to take some paint stick and LIGHTLY let it hit on the face of the tire and spin, I would be partial to believing the guy. This will show you run-out a lot better. About the only thing he could really show you would be a bent rim.
I've got the same problem on my 2000 extended Taco with my BFG Revos. They were super smooth on my '94 Ranger; swapped them to my Taco hoping for relief from the Goodyears. Wasn't the tires.

I'm going to have to try the crayon on the tires while mounted on the truck and see what the tread runout is. It's driving me to the point of trading it in... after putting another $2k into it so far.

I also experience a driveline vibration @ 38-46 MPH. Anybody have issues with U-joints in these vehicles?

- TopCat
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM

I am having the same issues with my 02 sport. I had the same problems with my 00 Jeep Cherokee. I replaced the front calipers that were sticking sometimes and the vibration disappeared. Anyways, I will be changing my 02's calipers as soon as my braided brake lines come in. It is probably not rims and tires. Just changed mine on saturday from stock rims with 265/75/16 to 265/70/17 on brand new Ultra 160's. Still same vibration at 68-71 miles per hour.

I tried the whole rebalancing thing with my jeep to no avail. Started around 50,000, around 100,000 finally figured it out. 4Runner started vibrating around 75,000 miles with stock tires and no mods. Two sets of bfgs later still shaking like crazy.

BTW anyone know where I can get new front bearing cheap?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Jack up the front end. Grab 12 and 6 o'clock positions on the tires and shake back and forth. This will check the upper ball joints for excess movement.

Next grab 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the tires and shake back and forth. This will check for idler arm and pitman arm movement.

Good luck with your problem.

Last edited by naksukow; 12-17-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 PM

There really could be a million things going on here. I know that I have the same issues but mine start at a lower speed 25 on up. Its the low humming "wub wub" type sound that gets faster with more speed. I think my Pirelli Scorpions (came with truck) are the problem. I will check run out as well and see if the rims are the culprit.

I will also lube all the zerks in the drive shafts and transfer cases as well. If I have time I will do differentials too. Its just one thing at a time. And it's a pain in the ass too.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 AM

I bought a 96 Taco with a 3" lift and 33's and 170,000 on the clock. Right at 60mph she was rough as hell, 50 was smooth and 70 was smooth. I greased all the U-joints and also the slip yokes on both drive shafts. My 60 mph vibration is now gone. I've even fixed (fingers crossed) almost all of the dash rattles as well.

Lube those things up before the action.......

Originally Posted by Man4God
I will also lube all the zerks in the drive shafts and transfer cases as well. If I have time I will do differentials too. Its just one thing at a time. And it's a pain in the ass too.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ultraman V
I bought a 96 Taco with a 3" lift and 33's and 170,000 on the clock. Right at 60mph she was rough as hell, 50 was smooth and 70 was smooth. I greased all the U-joints and also the slip yokes on both drive shafts. My 60 miles per hour vibration is now gone. I've even fixed (fingers crossed) almost all of the dash rattles as well.

Lube those things up before the action.......
That is GREAT news! My truck has 137K on it and no doubt it needs to be done anyway...I love it!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Flat Spots

Originally Posted by Man4God
There really could be a million things going on here. I know that I have the same issues but mine start at a lower speed 25 on up. Its the low humming "wub wub" type sound that gets faster with more speed. I think my Pirelli Scorpions (came with truck) are the problem. I will check run out as well and see if the rims are the culprit.

Your's definately sounds like a flat spot on the tires. Had the same problem with the wifes 4Runner. Replaced tires, smooth as silk.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleZero4x4
Your's definately sounds like a flat spot on the tires. Had the same problem with the wifes 4Runner. Replaced tires, smooth as silk.
Think Pirelli would road hazard them? Or otherwise warranty them?