Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can someone with a supercharger measure something for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Can someone with a supercharger measure something for me?

So i picked up a 2nd gen supercharger last night. Wasn't really looking for one, but i couldn't pass it up. However, as with most used supercharger purchases its missing a couple pieces. I am able to source the bolts i need and trd gives the dimensions on them, but the only thing i cant find is the two spacers. there is one at the back between the brace and supercharger, and one on the front between the idle assembly plate and supercharger. If anyone has the supercharger without the newer style tensioner, could you measure the length of the two spacers. I have searched every 3.4 forum and cant find anything on them. If i am able to source all the correct bolts/spacers locally i might buy a few sets and put a hardware kit together, after searching, it seems alot of people are out there trying to piece them together. the one bolt i cant find stocked anywhere local yet is the one long 170mm bolt that goes through the supercharger. I really want to get this thing installed this weekend. I was also planning on doing the diy transmission valve body shims, has anyone here done it and what did you think of it?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM

ok i found everything but the 170mm bolt. I am using a 170mm m8 stud and nut/washer instead. i could order the bolt and may later, but i need it this weekend. if i have a complete hardware bolt/spacer kit, do you think there would be interest on here/tacoma forums for maybe $40-$50. so far piecing together my kit locally was about $50 but may be able to order a quantity cheaper online.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you plan to use the old fashioned tensioner vs the newer dynamic version?

I would use the dynamic version for sure if i was you, you can get the tensioner itself for $25, making the bracket for it should not be any harder then a bracket for the old style.

There are other guys in your shoes, i am sure someone would like a complete kit like that but it would not be a high volume item for sure.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM

I already have the complete older style tensioner with the bracket. I was just missing the spacer for the top bolt, however i found one that works perfect. The dynamic tensioner kit is $260 on trdparts4u , not sure that is worth it if the older one works out ok. However all the kit includes is the brackets and two bolts, seems ridiculous that the bracket costs an addtional 200+ over just the tensioner itself lol. I got a pretty good deal for a 2nd gen charger. and all i have had to do is find a few bolts and order the check valve. I am trying now to find a spark plug that will work and i can get locally so i can have them this weekend.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old style tensioner is notorious for both slipping belts, breaking belts and popping belts off and then in turn breaking belts. If the belt breaks it will leave you stranded BTW.

The bracket is the hard part, you can get the tensioner direct from dayco for around $30 with the pulley, i posted another thread with the part numbers you need, forgot the exact total.

Just need that bracket to mount it to, not sure if the one you have would work possibly or if you could get one made.