Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can the Radio unit be Swapped between MY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the Radio unit be Swapped between MY?

Can you swap the radio between model years? I have a 1996 and have seen several '97 radio units for sale. Just wondering if it is as simple as swapping out the units or is it more than that (ie rewiring and reprogramming)

This is the option A if I can't get my radio backlight back up and running. Option B is to go with an aftermarket unit.

The radio thing is driving me crazier every night.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
id go with a aftermarket one my pioneer i have is like 8yr's old works just fine
Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To answer your question: yes you can swap radios between years but there are a few things to consider and remember.
1) Some toyota OEM radios have built in amplifiers, so they are gonna be direct plug and play
2) Some toyota OEM radios need an external OEM amplifier. They plug into the amp and the amp plugs into the OEM harness

There are two radio plugs on the Toyota harness that pretty much have not change since 1987 at least. I believe that in the past few years Toyota has started some changes in the OEM connectors for their factory radios, but in the years you are concerned with, you will not have any issues.

Take a look at the radio you have in the truck right now. When you remove it, do you disconnect one or two wired connectors? (not the antenna/s) If its just one, then follow that cable to a narrow silver box. It will be located near the floor of the radio center console and secured on either end by a phillips head screw(2). There will be two connectors that plug into it. Those are your OEM harness connectors. If you are going to use a newer OEM radio then check to see if you need the OEM amp or not. Pretty straight forward at this point, if you need it leave it installed and plug the amp into your replacement radio, install the radio and youre done. If you don't need it and it will plug directly into the radio harness without the amp, then remove the amp, plug in the OEM harness plugs and install the radio and youre done!

My 98 had the OEM Toyota radio that came in it that had the 3 disk cartridge, cassette, AM/FM etc but it needs the OEM amp. I had installed a 2005 Scion radio made by pioneer and had to do a mild modifcation to the bezel of the radio to make it fit correctly in my 4runner but I did not like the way I had to change the volume, on/off etc so I removed it and installed the OEM radio again. I recently qcquired a Pioneer touch screen P6800 series with a 6 disk player in it and some other niceities. The previous owner had it installed in a Chevy S-10 and believe it or not, the adapter harness he used in his S-10 iwas a perfect match for my 4runner, I literally just plugged it in.

Hope this helps and if you need pictures to see what I'm talking about, just ask.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 05-20-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM

thanks for the replies. I have been debating between the aftermarkt unit and the OEM unit. Both have pros/cons. The only major pro I can think of for the OEM unit is it keeps the clean from the factory look and you don't have to worry about taking off the faceplate (small i know).

Does the antenna (if it was working) go up and down with an aftermarket unit?

I hope to get in the dash this weekend and see which setup is in there.

My current radio has the 3 disc magazine in it. I use it but more frequently use my iPod via the tape deck.

Last edited by prhime; 05-20-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 AM

pics are always welcomed!

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
To answer your question: yes you can swap radios between years but there are a few things to consider and remember.
1) Some toyota OEM radios have built in amplifiers, so they are gonna be direct plug and play
2) Some toyota OEM radios need an external OEM amplifier. They plug into the amp and the amp plugs into the OEM harness

There are two radio plugs on the Toyota harness that pretty much have not change since 1987 at least. I believe that in the past few years Toyota has started some changes in the OEM connectors for their factory radios, but in the years you are concerned with, you will not have any issues.

Take a look at the radio you have in the truck right now. When you remove it, do you disconnect one or two wired connectors? (not the antenna/s) If its just one, then follow that cable to a narrow silver box. It will be located near the floor of the radio center console and secured on either end by a phillips head screw(2). There will be two connectors that plug into it. Those are your OEM harness connectors. If you are going to use a newer OEM radio then check to see if you need the OEM amp or not. Pretty straight forward at this point, if you need it leave it installed and plug the amp into your replacement radio, install the radio and youre done. If you don't need it and it will plug directly into the radio harness without the amp, then remove the amp, plug in the OEM harness plugs and install the radio and youre done!

My 98 had the OEM Toyota radio that came in it that had the 3 disk cartridge, cassette, AM/FM etc but it needs the OEM amp. I had installed a 2005 Scion radio made by pioneer and had to do a mild modifcation to the bezel of the radio to make it fit correctly in my 4runner but I did not like the way I had to change the volume, on/off etc so I removed it and installed the OEM radio again. I recently qcquired a Pioneer touch screen P6800 series with a 6 disk player in it and some other niceities. The previous owner had it installed in a Chevy S-10 and believe it or not, the adapter harness he used in his S-10 iwas a perfect match for my 4runner, I literally just plugged it in.

Hope this helps and if you need pictures to see what I'm talking about, just ask.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by prhime
thanks for the replies. I have been debating between the aftermarkt unit and the OEM unit. Both have pros/cons. The only major pro I can think of for the OEM unit is it keeps the clean from the factory look and you don't have to worry about taking off the faceplate (small i know).
You still have to remove the faceplate or bezel to remove the OEM radio but you are correct in the clean look of an OEM install

Does the antenna (if it was working) go up and down with an aftermarket unit?
If your aftermarket radio has a connection for auto antenna feature it will then send the power on signal to the power antenna. The Pioneer P6800, which is a double din touch screen unit I installed last weekend, had a wire for the antenna connection and when I power the unit on, it automatically raises my antenna. Some units will call this an antenna remote.

I hope to get in the dash this weekend and see which setup is in there.

My current radio has the 3 disc magazine in it. I use it but more frequently use my iPod via the tape deck.
Sounds like you have the same OEM radio as I had in mine. So it will be connected to the external amp. Actually a very good radio. But if you use an iPod alot then you may need to consider a newer OEM radio or an aftermarket unit that has the hook up built in for the iPod. Either way, I can send you some pics but it really is easy and straight forward. hardest part is getting the radio bezel off. If you have never done this, you will need to remove the radio beezel to get to the screws that hold the radio in place.

There are a couple of screws that live behind the temp control cover as well as two other mount screws tha thold the bezel in place along with spring clips. To get to the temp control screws you will need to pull the temp and select dial knobs off, they just pull right off, pull the 2 slider knobs off. Use a small flat blade screw driver and pop off the temp control cover. the A/C push button will come out with the cover so don't worry how you will get it out. You will find two phillips screws to either side, remove them. Before you pull the radio bezel you will need to remove the shifter cover. You may have to put your truck in like 2nd gear if you have an automatic (set the brake). Use that flat blade screw driver again and near the rear of the shifter cover, pop the edges up and forward. You should be able to lift it upwards from the rear of the cover and move backwards out of the way, you do not have to take it completely off, just get it to clear the bottom of the radio bezel so you can get it out. If you have problems removing the readio bezel as you pop the clips loose, check to see if there are any more screws holding the bezel in place (can't remember right this moment) but you should be able to pop the radio bezel off. Start at the top and work your way down. Once you get it free from the clips you will need to remove the connectors for the hazard lights, clock and another connector near the top of the bezel. Also you will need to remove the wires for the 12vdc accessory outlet and pull the light out of its socket for the ash tray near the bottom of the bezel. You should now be able to remove the radio bezel.

There are 4 screws that hold the radio to the dash, remove them, unplug the connector/antenna that go into the rear of the radio, set aside then you will notice the amp screwed in on either side, remove them pull the amp out, remove the two connectors in the amp and you're ready to install your new radio. If you go with an aftermarket unit most are single din units so you will need to do one of two things, get an install kit so the lower din is covered or find one that someone has done previously in a wrecking yard that has a nice little storage pocket. If you can find a nice aftermarket unit that is double din then the fancy trim install kit will not be necessary, but be sure to pick up the adapter harness. Never, NEVER cut the OEM plugs off your trucks harness and don't let some installer cut and splice your harness. Transfer the mounting brakets from the sides of the OEM radio to your new radio, attach the harness, mount and your on your way! good luck

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 05-20-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM

this is how my radio looks - https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/l...ol-out-182134/

did any of the OEM units come with AUX in this generation? I don't remember seeing any.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Not too sure about 'AUX', but that is the same radio I have(had) in mine. Like I said, you can check other toyota vehicles OEM radios and you may get lucky. I looked for newer radios out of Toyotas in wrecking yards, thats how I found the Scion radio. It did hook up but I had to mod the faceplate for the radio to make it look OEM but I got it to fit. Another thing I found out, I got the OEM radio out of a 2000 4runner which was single CD and had the amp hooked to it as well. the amp and connection in the o2 is different then the radio/amp combo that was in my 98. In other words, the amp would not connect to the radio and vice versa, both amps would connect to the OEM harness connectors. So I am thinking that as long as you get a radio with the an internal amplifier then most likely the OEM radio will mate to the harness connectors. also you probably have the second antenna wire plugging into your OEM radio as mine does. this is the antenna wire for the rear window antenna. Not all toyota radios have a hookup for that smaller antenna plug. I would try to see if you can find out more about the various OEM Toyota radios and see what you can find in the wrecking yard. Remember, you can check both cars and trucks but also Scion and Lexus. good luck
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM

great advice. i saw some parts listed as from a TM car/truck (mainly tacoma) that can work on the 4runner.

Hopefully, I will get to the the installs/work (new center lid, antenna and truflow filter) this weekend and find some yards in and around brooklyn to see what they have.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

I second the aftermarket with the ipod hook up, makes things so simple. and my antenna goes up every time I hit the tuner function.( kinda annoying) rather have it just up.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM

what did you add in there?

only thing i dislike about the aftermarket is need (some times) to take the face plate off and either walk with it or stash it
Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 PM

So I did some digging online until I can get to a yard:
based on when you did your work which of these seems to be the best fit?

Option A

Option B

Option #3

I did a search and there a bunch of radios on ebay so i figured i'd start with these above as they look like they will fit.

Aux inputs: Some are the same model it looks like but I wasn't sure and figured since you've been behind you can give me a better picture of what should work.
It seems like the seller has modded the radio to add AUX input

Option C

Option D

Option E

Option F

Option G

Last edited by prhime; 05-22-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 PM

I took my [Option B] radio from my 01 Tacoma and installed it in my mom's 1997 previa, plug and play. It will also work in my '99 runner, you just have to disconnect the existing amplifier.

The USA spec ipod adapter works well if you want to keep a stock radio. I went aftermarket deck for better sub control and better ipod interfacing. Pioneer DEHP 6000 UB. I also wired in a switch to keep the antenna from going up every time the deck turns on. I mainly listen to my ipod so it's better to keep the antenna safely retracted.

Last edited by CYi5; 05-22-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM

that's a real clean setup you have.

so to make sure i'm on the same page. you went with Option B and added this

Last edited by prhime; 05-22-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 AM

bump to get some thoughts
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 AM

so this is the one i am leaning towards the most. thoughts? anything i may not be thinking of?

the aux takes care of connecting the ipod to the unit. i checked the usa spec adapters and they seem to do the same thing (also allows control of the ipod through the radio but i generally control the ipod from the ipod). charging is something that will be fixed (once the cig lighters get repaired)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 AM

^Ritzy - do you remember how many pins were in the back of your unit.

from my digging (radio model #51706 / cd slave model # L4201) - it appears to be a 15 pin but i haven't had a chance to pull the unit out yet.

I used this link http://www.oemvalue.com/application/toyota.htm and it seems that it is a 15-pin application.

I also found this photo from an ebay auction. Comparint the two leads me to think it is a 15-pin setup.
Attached Thumbnails Can the Radio unit be Swapped between MY?-radio.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 AM

I will have to check the back of my old radio but the pic you show of this radio is one that will need the external toyota amp. All Toyota OEM radios I have ever used or seen for our Gen 3 runners needs two connectors. Either they are attached directly to the radio or attached to the external amp. Usually with the earlier 3rd gens, you will find the double din style radios are actually two seperate units. The radio head unit will then plug into a disc player, cassette player or some other component. Thus the single wire plugging into the the radio head unit. They usually require the external amp, so there will only be a single connector on the second part of the "radio". The amp then plugs into it and the OEM harness plugs into the amp. As I learned, the 2000 and up OEM radios use a different pin configuration for the external amp so be aware of this difference in the radio/amp connection. The amp will still have the standard Toyota harness plugs though.

The link you show is a good source of information and it does seem to cover pretty much everything I encountered.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 AM

yeah. i have a "two separate unit" setup.

so i think most of those i posted above are out because they are 20-pin.

the only 15-pin is this one or this

Last edited by prhime; 05-27-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 PM

If you can find a factory amp from an 01-02 4-runner that 1 you showed on ebay should be a plug & play.I did that with a Solara 6 disc unit.It had the 2 antenna plugs to match up too.Factory look & good sound.Those 3 disc slide out changers were very troublesome.
Shubey

Quick Reply: Can the Radio unit be Swapped between MY?