Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Calling Stereo Setups In Ext. Cab Pickups

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Stereo Setups In Ext. Cab Pickups

I've been racking my brain with ideas on how I'm going to install two 10" subs in the back of the cab. I want it to look good and not these premade box getups. I'm curious if anyone has pics of how they installed their subs. Right now the best thing I can come up with is just an angled box taking up the whole rear seat. If I get around to it I'll throw together a couple of images together in photoshop.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you seen Jim's (mytruck) setup?
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/jimstereo/

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/h...imspeaker1.jpg
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/h...imspeaker2.jpg

Now those are 6.5" components, but with some work you might be able to fab up a way to load a 10" into one?
Old 01-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

I initially thought of doing that with a couple of 8" subs. But crutchfield was offering those 10" MTX Thunder 4000s I got for 40$ a sub. I couldn't pass on that having a 10% discount though them from working at u.p.s. and a 110$ gift certificate sitting in front of me. I needed to get some subs anyway to go with the coustic amp I picked up on ebay for 20.50$ w/ shipping.

I'm going to draw something up here in a min and post pics of a couple ideas I had.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

This is one of the ideas I had. This would be built to fit over that lip that the back seats sit on. Also this way the speakers would fire down.

The other Idea I have is just to build a standard angle box ( /| ) that fits across the back of the cab and mount the amp in the middle.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

I used to have a 92 Ext cab 4x4 and this is what I ran in mine: Panasonic head unit, 2 JL 10's with an Alpine V12 amp on the subs and a Rockford 200 on my mids and highs. The best setup I finally got was when I built my box so that I could point the subs so they would fire downward to the floor. I built a box with legs that sat the subs about 2 and a half inches from the floor, and the difference in sound was incredible. You have to try it to believe it, trust me on this one. Make sure if you build your box, that it has the right air space for the sub, that makes a lot of difference in how the sub will sound.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Krash

This is one of the ideas I had. This would be built to fit over that lip that the back seats sit on. Also this way the speakers would fire down.

The other Idea I have is just to build a standard angle box ( /| ) that fits across the back of the cab and mount the amp in the middle.
That's exactly how mine was setup, that's crazy I just typed that in right after you did. Go with that idea it has the best sound and the most bass.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I'll fool with WinISD until I get sick and just go back to the tried and true BlauBox to the the airspace right. I like the firing downward box because I'll have sort of a shelf back there to sit stuff on like my backpack.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

So with this box are you still leaving your seats in and covering them up or are you taking them out all together? I was trying to figure out some way or using the space below the seats so I wouldn't cover up the speakers on the side of the cab.
Jim's amp set up is awesome. That exactly what I had invisioned. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Using this setup i'm going to take the rear seats out and hopefully build really really low. I already have 6 1/2" speakers in those side compartment like Jim's so I'm hoping to build it low enough to not interfere with those too much.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 PM

I was going to build myself a custom box/shelf setup too, but if you have an xtra cab, why not utilize the space better???

I had a plce for my subs, amp, and then I had shelves above it. Two behind sliding doors, and two open, that way you have somewhere to put stuff like jumper cables, flashlight, other emergency equipment and other things you might get. Just a suggestion since you're taking the seats out anyway.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:03 PM

I went through the same questions last year. I finally went with a bazooka tube in back. It takes up very little space and gets very good lows. I didnt want to completely customize the rear area of my cab just for subs so that was my only solution. Im glad i did it and am pretty happy with the sound. Everything is still fully functional in back for the odd passenger + good low end.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
that way you have somewhere to put stuff like jumper cables, flashlight, other emergency equipment and other things you might get.
Thats why I got the el cheapo poor man's truck box.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you actually could mount 2 12" subs in those small areas underneath the package tray without a big ghetto ass box taking up the whole back of the truck-- ive done it on my own tacoma and still have room for people to sit... ( doing this takes a VERY experienced installer by the way ) but it is possible and sounds awesome---and leaves more room in the back of the cab than the factory junk boxes. it involves removing all of the bolt in metal in the back of the cab and fiberglassing.

T

let me know if you want pics...
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I would actually like to see that.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:15 PM

Well, this is in an 86 extracab, less space than you have, but here's a drawing of what mine is:

It's not exactly how it turned out, but the parts are in the right location.

Here's an image of it installed:

Go here for how I built it.

Enjoy!
Todd
Old 01-03-2004, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Todd I remember seeing yours before, but if I'm not mistaken I can't take that ledge out of my truck without some major cutting with a cutoff wheel or sawzall. I would do something along those lines for the factory look if it wasn't for that.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:47 AM

Todd, very nice setup there! Makes mine look like even more of a hack job.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

After much brainstorming at work last night in my notebook (we were unusually slow last night), I came up with this.

The top is a lid (red), below that is going to be an amp rack that is slightly raised off of the speaker box portion to allow for wiring underneath it (blue), and then there is the speaker box portion (gray). I decided to build the box to only take up half of the back cab, that way I can tote another passenger if needed. I know the amp will be enclosed, I'm going to put a few fans on the enclosure also, I can scavange them from my box of computer junk. Also I think that I can fit two tens in this space, and still come within spec of the air space req.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:59 AM

Man...thats freakin tough...I really like idea 2..and if you can def. fit 2 10's then thats double your pleasure..
I'm seriously interested in dimension #'s ..Keep working that idea.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:41 PM

Todd I remember seeing yours before, but if I'm not mistaken I can't take that ledge out of my truck without some major cutting with a cutoff wheel or sawzall. I would do something along those lines for the factory look if it wasn't for that.
Ya, I don't know the details of the 3rd gen trucks, but I do know they have jump seats back there, so plenty of room for 2 10's as well as the amp, etc.
Oh, the computer fans will work well, as they are either 12v or 5v already.
I wired mine to turn on when the amp gets power (remote turn on wire from the head unit) and I also wired in some resistors to drop the voltage load down to about 9-10v when the truck is running.
That also keeps them from running too loud also.
Time to start taking things out and see where they bolted things together

Plays_with_Toys - thanks for the compliment I wanted to do it "right" after my stiff got ripped off.
I was without a stereo for about 5 months.

Quick Reply: Calling Stereo Setups In Ext. Cab Pickups