Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Calling all car audio Gods, HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all car audio Gods, HELP ME!

Here is the deal. I really know nothing about car audio so I need all the help I can get. I have a 99 4Runner SR5. I have the factory head unit with tape deck and the 6 disk in dash changer. The changer has completely stopped working. When you switch to it, it spins the CD, then spits out that CD, then switches back to the radio. I took it apart a couple days ago and tried to clean the laser to see if that would help. It still does the exact same thing. I contacted TOR to see what a replacement would cost as it would be the easiest route and it is WAY out of the question. He straight told me, don't even think about it. I NEED to be able to listen to CDs again, I have gone WAY too long without. Here are my thoughts on the whole thing to let you guys know kinda what I am thinking here...

-I have to have a changer. I have always had one and cannot live without one, I am too spoiled in that department.

-Is there an aftermarket type in dash changer that would be like the stock one and plug into the head unit? That would be ideal. I really like having the changer in dash.

-Is there an aftermarket normal style changer that will plug into the head unit?

-I hate the flashy after market head units and such that look weird and can do all sort of crap I could care less about like laser light shows, dancing frogs on the screen and perhaps even the higher end ones can hook you up with some road head. Don't care, I want something tame that looks factory-ish (read: dull)

-I am on a serious budget so the cheaper the better.

-I do not want to re-wire ANYTHING so something that can or could be adapted to plug into the stock harness is a BIG plus

I think that about sums up what I am looking for. I would give you guys a price range but I honestly don't know about this stuff so I have no idea what I need to spend to get the job done, all I know is 1000+ is not acceptable for a replacement. Feel free to ask questions. If you have a suggestion it would be awesome if you could post a link to the product. Thank you guys so much for your input!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:36 AM

I found this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Does anyone know for sure if that will work with my stock head unit?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:41 AM

And there is also this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-05AFvRa...asp?i=581T107E

Even less ideal. Why couldn't that just be a changer??? :cry:
Old 10-24-2003, 08:47 AM

This is perfect:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11687

But how do I know if it works with my junk?

EDIT: I called these people and they were less than helpful. Basically they have no clue...

Last edited by 44Runner; 10-24-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Calling all car audio Gods, HELP ME!

Originally posted by 44Runner

-I have to have a changer. I have always had one and cannot live without one, I am too spoiled in that department.

-
You could get an Headunit with Mp3 capabilities and not ever have to worry about a changer, that is if you ripped your CD's to mp3 and burned them on CD. I can get about 250 songs on a single CD in mp3 format.. Just a thought

Last edited by saintsteve; 10-24-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: Calling all car audio Gods, HELP ME!

Originally posted by saintsteve
You could get an Headunit with Mp3 capabilities and not ever have to worry about a changer, that is if you ripped your CD's to mp3 and burned them on CD. I can get about 250 songs on a single CD in mp3 format.. Just a thought
But I have SO many great CDs. I don't really see myself wanting to do that. My old roommate had an MP3 CD player in his BMW and I never much cared for it. Took dang near forever to find a song...
Old 10-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Calling all car audio Gods, HELP ME!

Originally posted by 44Runner
Took dang near forever to find a song...
I just picked up an Alpine CDA-9813...the mp3's load just as fast as songs on a standard CD. I couldn't believe how fast it was. The search function is very quick as well. I had a CD changer at one time...I don't see ever going back.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

ill second the MP3 player, i cant ever imagine changing a CD everytime 12 songs goes by. i normally have one CD with about 16 albums on it (punk and hardcore dont have a lot of songs per album) i dont normally change CDs but once a month
and not all of them are flashy and can be had for around $200 or so.

-Casey
Old 10-24-2003, 09:15 AM

Here is an option:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=nakmb75

Little pricey, but might be a good way to go if I need to replace the head unit...
Old 10-24-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by casey
ill second the MP3 player, i cant ever imagine changing a CD everytime 12 songs goes by. i normally have one CD with about 16 albums on it (punk and hardcore dont have a lot of songs per album) i dont normally change CDs but once a month
and not all of them are flashy and can be had for around $200 or so.

-Casey
When I am in the car in general I get to listen to 2 songs tops. With 6 disks, that is at LEAST 3 hours worth of music. I am in the truck for more than 3 hours less than once a year. It just isn't a big deal...
Old 10-24-2003, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Calling all car audio Gods, HELP ME!

Originally posted by saintsteve
I just picked up an Alpine CDA-9813...the mp3's load just as fast as songs on a standard CD. I couldn't believe how fast it was. The search function is very quick as well. I had a CD changer at one time...I don't see ever going back.
A changer is a MUST. I would love a changer that can read MP3s as well but I don't think I could find one in my price range...
Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 AM

this is also cool and a GREAT option because of the price. Probably the most promising thing so far. Not to mention I have heard of this company before unlike Nakamichi...

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=315

Last edited by 44Runner; 10-24-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ha ha!! so you want an in dash changer and you want it cheap----------------no such thing--- oh wait, you want a changer that works with your factory radio and you want it cheap--------------------------no such thing.

The only company that makes an in dash changer that doesnt suck is nakamichi. pioneer makes one, but it is just a nakamichi rip off ( the transport is even made by nakamichi ) and no it wont work with your factory radio. But thats no problem because the in dash changer has an amp too.

check it out... its the MB-75 www.nakamichi.com

T

there is also the option of a separate deck and changer that is located in the back, but thats if you decide that price is a factor.
p.s. there is no way around this model-- nakamichi owns the patent and theirs is the only one that works for longer than 1 month.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Duffdog
ha ha!! so you want an in dash changer and you want it cheap----------------no such thing--- oh wait, you want a changer that works with your factory radio and you want it cheap--------------------------no such thing.

The only company that makes an in dash changer that doesnt suck is nakamichi. pioneer makes one, but it is just a nakamichi rip off ( the transport is even made by nakamichi ) and no it wont work with your factory radio. But thats no problem because the in dash changer has an amp too.

check it out... its the MB-75 www.nakamichi.com

T

there is also the option of a separate deck and changer that is located in the back, but thats if you decide that price is a factor.
p.s. there is no way around this model-- nakamichi owns the patent and theirs is the only one that works for longer than 1 month.
sounds like you know your junk. got a link to the pioneer one? Got an opinion on the blaupunkt one I linked to above? That one seems to be the best price wise and I like the fact you can swap discs while it is playing which I could not do before....
Old 10-24-2003, 11:32 AM

ok made a purchase on the fly. tell me what you think...

Got a Blaupunkt San Jose MP41 head unit. Plays MP3s & WMA CDs and will control the 5 Disc in dash Blaupunkt IDC-A09 5 Disc in-dash changer I got as well. Also got the adapter to plug the head unit into my factory harness. All that to my door for $360.

The head unit is way to flashy looking for me but the price was right and it plays MP3s which is a nice touch. Thanks for the input...
Old 10-24-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
should work for a while--but remember, blaupunkt is no longer a high end brand--they were bought out by legacy, and therefore have a huge reduction in prices. So although your head unit says blaupunkt, it is not made by bosch-- it is actually a legacy. Hope that unit works well for you.

Tim
Old 10-24-2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Duffdog
should work for a while--but remember, blaupunkt is no longer a high end brand--they were bought out by legacy, and therefore have a huge reduction in prices. So although your head unit says blaupunkt, it is not made by bosch-- it is actually a legacy. Hope that unit works well for you.

Tim
I hope so too. I would have like the high end stuff but I already don't have the money for this stuff. I am on a tight budget that has no room for car audio...