Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

called toyota about a drain of the tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
called toyota about a drain of the tranny...

so i call toyota and tell them i want a simple drain of the tranny with a filter change. the women goes asks someone, comes back and says its $60 and the filter does not get changed. they said its a lifetime filter. ive never heard of that before.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Lifetime tranny filter?!? They're on dope...

Trust me. For the handful of extra bucks that a new filter costs, buy it and include it with the drain. Have you considered a complete flush over a drain/fill?? The flush is a little more expensive, but money well spent. Something you could do at home too.

The first time I flushed my tranny I was given the wrong filter prior to starting the flush (which was very apparent once I had the pan pulled).

To make a long story short, it was Saturday afternoon and the local Toy shop couldn't get me the right one till Tuesday/Wednesday at best. The Service Tech said they don't stock them since they just flush out the screen filters with brake cleaner. With no other options, that's what I had to do.

After 30+ minutes, a whole can of brake cleaner + tons of streaming hot water, I finally got all of the metal particles out of the screens. After drying it out for an hour or two in the sun I was finally able to throw everything back together.

Needless to say, I'll spend the ~$30 bucks for a new one will happen next time (now that I know what it looks like)...

Last edited by hillbilly; 03-30-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fliter is a lifetime filter (ie it does not need to be changed) but it CERTAINLY needs to be cleaned.
Pull the pan down, pull the filter, wash it off with some break cleaner, dry it and reassemble everything.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
The fliter is a lifetime filter (ie it does not need to be changed) but it CERTAINLY needs to be cleaned.
Pull the pan down, pull the filter, wash it off with some break cleaner, dry it and reassemble everything.
I agree with MTL_4runner that the filter might physically last a lifetime (its just metal screen), but I completely disagree with trying to clean it. I don't know any shop thats going to waste more than a handful of minutes (let alone as much time as I took) trying to get ALL of the metal shavings out. A pressurized parts cleaner might do the job, but I'd be willing to bet that would even take 10 minutes to get everything out.

After three or four rinses with brake cleaner, there was still a good amount of metal shavings sparkling in there. And that's only the few areas I could see. Who knows how bad the rest of it looked. There's no way I was going to risk pushing those dislodged shavings into my valve body for a measely $30 bucks.

Last edited by hillbilly; 03-30-2004 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly
I agree with MTL_4runner that the filter might physically last a lifetime (its just metal screen), but I completely disagree with trying to clean it. I don't know any shop thats going to waste more than a handful of minutes (let alone as much time as I took) trying to get ALL of the metal shavings out. A pressurized parts cleaner might do the job, but I'd be willing to bet that would even take 10 minutes to get everything out.

After three or four rinses with brake cleaner, there was still a good amount of metal shavings sparkling in there. And that's only the few areas I could see. Who knows how bad the rest of it looked. There's no way I was going to risk pushing those dislodged shavings into my valve body for a measely $30 bucks.
I agree, its just easier to replace the "filter".