Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cabover camper install on TRD Tacoma?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabover camper install on TRD Tacoma?

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to install a cabover camper on my truck. I want it to be stable and secure at freeway speeds (no swaying), Somewhat of a smoth ride. Do I need springs or air bags. I read bad things about air bags on Tacomas and Tundras. Plus I wanto get 80mpg.

I'm looking for a how to article or DIY. I can't find anything on the net on how to do this type of install. It can't be that hard.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:21 AM

This is 3-14-09, not 4-1-09.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Contributing Member

Check out what cvlighthouse, mokai, and oly884 did....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...o-pics-116933/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w...popcorn-95355/
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
80MPGs.... i REALLY hope thats a typo...
Old 03-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
he is also planning on doing the Prius drivetrain transplant.

Deaver 10 leaf pack or OME Dakar springs would be good. Plan on getting 12 with a camper...
Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 AM

I put Firestone Air Bags on the rear with the in-cab controller, heavy duty shocks on front and back. Custom tie downs for securing the camper to the frame ..And for more power went with the S/C with URD 7th injector kit..
Truck handles really well with the camper on..The air bags are wonderful and the extra power from the s/c is excellent.. =)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 AM

I didn't think I would get 80mpg's...not even with the Prius drivetrain. 12 is a little surprising. I do have the 3.4 so I don't think power will be a problem. I will consider the SC if I need to. I think my biggest concern is handling and sway.

Mokai has a nice set up. I would be interested in those custom tie downs. Can you post a few pics of the tie downs and mounting hardware? That will be a help for me. Did you have to drill in the frame for the air bags (some are installed without drilling)? Please tell me you are getting better then 12mpgs with the SC. I take it you run premium fuel? Was the BM short throw worth the cost. What did you do about the rear sway bar...I take it you didn't install it?

Thanks for the info so far.

Last edited by sandiegodude; 03-15-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 AM

Mokai,

Did you drill into the frame when you installed the air bags? I believe there are some mounting holes that exist that may fit the firestone airbag system? Is this your experience with them?

Thanks,
Tony.

By the way, How are you liking the camper set up. It looks like you have a great set up. Any worries about the frame being weak? Did you beef that up. Still interested in the clamps you used for securing the camper.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If your concerned with handling, why not get a pop up camper? Save your center of gravity, wind resistance and weight. Its better for Baja trips if your going offroad with it too.

You can use an add a leaf if your cheap, but, a new spring pack would be best.

My dad has air bags on his tundra for his camper, and we've never had a problem after 6 years and several trips to Baja.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM

It is like Oly994's set up. A pop up camper but it weighs about 900lbs. That's why I think I need air bags (Which I did order today). Is Dad happy with the air bag setup?

I considered the Deaver 10 pack but I hear they don't handle loads well but performance was great off road. I assume unloaded. I guess they sag pretty easy. I think any progressive spring might sag easily. Anyone's thoughts?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

with the pop up it actually probably would not be too bad. I moved a small cab over camper for a guy with my old '97 2.7 Tacoma and it just seemed like I could watch the gas guage move on that 100 mile trip.
Had not heard about the deaver's sagging..
Ah64id (JOhn)https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f117...uildup-110920/
did the firestone bags in his '07 Tacoma. He researched the you know what out of everything he put on his truck. You might take a look at his thread and possibley send him a PM. I think he has since sold/traded the truck to his father in law, but he might also have some feedback for you.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 AM

I have the Firestone bags on order and will install them. It seems straight forward and hopefully I won't have to do any drilling. Now the only problem is attaching the camper to the truck. I see in a few pics the camper does not have the tie rods attached to the outside of the truck. Are you guys with campers mounting them directly to the bed? Are you drilling holes through the bed or some how clamping them similar to a fiberglass top. I think the only other way is attaching them through the bed of the truck them through the floor of the camper. Is there something I'm missing.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The airbags are great..they work great with the extra load.

His camper connects to the bed directly. Its more like a camper SHELL with an expandable top. We made the cabinetry...

I don't know the correct terminology of the external camper mounting methods or components, but, I think that is the way to do it. I know my buddy has drilled holes through the floor of his camper, through the bed and through the frame... but, I dont know if thats the 'correct' way of doing it.

Here's what my dad has. Its really lightweight.
Name:  DSC03761.jpg
Views: 7118
Size:  83.4 KB
Name:  DSC01981.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  73.9 KB

Last edited by BajaRunner; 03-18-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, I have that issue of Surfing Magazine.

I dig that pop up camper of your dad's, Ian. Beats sleeping on the ground. Especially in Baja...
Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Here's what my dad has. Its really lightweight.
Who makes and sells the shell?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
http://www.flippac.com/

They are pretty cool.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Corey
http://www.flippac.com/

They are pretty cool.
Pretty cool is an understatement I would love to have one of those on a truck sometime.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

A friend of a friend had a 92 with a full slide in camper all he did was HD spring pack/shocks and he added a cross member frame like mokai to secure the camper directly to the frame. He never mentioned any issues other then much worse fuel econ.
I think he meant he wants to be able to drive 80 mph. Personally I would not advise that kind of speed with a camper on even if you could get it going that fast it would just get too "loose"... at that speed if you caught a cross wind and started swaying you'd never recover... the same thing happens to truckers when they get highballing sometimes... a puff of wind starts them going and it's all over.
Besides 65-70 is fast enough... remember it's about the journey too not just the getting there.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I posted this rig before from BajaTaco's website over in my "Show me your roof top tents" thread I believe.
http://www.bajataco.com/vehicles/vin...a_flippac.html

http://www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/...pPac/index.htm

Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Hi guys and thanks for all the great advice. I will clarify a few things here so we are all on the same page and you guys don't have to guess what I mean by 80mpg. I would like to get the best mileage as possible. The fastest I intend to drive is about 70 and thstt will be pushing it. I ususally keep it between 65-70 without a camper.

I did purchase a pop up for better mileage and stability. I will post pics as soon as I get them. I also order air bags and they came in yesterday and will be installed today. I am assuming it is pretty easy to install since there is no extensive right up. This is a 2002 so it looks like the beefier frame. I don't mind drilling holes in my truck unless it weakens the structure or looks like crap. That being said I like the idea of drilling the holes in front of the bed between the bed and the cab and mounting a bar that attaches to the camper and bed. I think this is moree stable then the drilling holes through the bed and mounting the buttons. The is a user in here that has that set up. If any one knows if that is a custom set up or a store bought item...I would be very interested. I will let you know what set up it is when I look through a few more post.

Thanks for all the help and you guys rock. The air bags should go on today.

Last edited by sandiegodude; 03-20-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabover camper install on TRD Tacoma?