Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Buy built, or build your own?
Buy a built-up rig...
12.58%
Buy a stocker, and build it up yourself
87.42%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Buy built, or build your own?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy built, or build your own?

Okay, in my never ending quest to buy a trail rig, I've found two 85 4runners for the same price, one which is already built up with lockers, winch, bigger tires, and one which is completely stock, and had one owner since 87. What would you guys do? Would you save yourself some time and money by getting the vehicle that is already built up a bit, or would you rather start from scratch with a vehicle that hasn't likely been offroad much before?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:39 PM

Have you driven both of them? If it was me I would drive them both, pick the one that ran the best and felt the best to me. If the mod one runs like crap then I would get the stock. But if it runs same as stock and feels good I would get the mod one. If you want any different mods you can just do them or take of the current ones and resell them.
Contributing Member

It really depends on price and the quality of the work that was done, unless you really enjoy building your own project vehicles.

I personally like doing my own work, but if a deal comes along on a built up rig, with a low price and I had the money, I'd probably buy it, then get a trailer....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know the built one has likely been wheeled while the stock may have been treated more gently. That is all a moot point if you are going to whip it liked a rented mule.

I would get the stocker and build since it sounds like you are headed towards something reasonably big. With exceptions, I think that it is better to do things yourself so that when it breaks you can fix it. It is a journey, not a destination.

At the same time, going turn key might make sense for someone with tow rig and trail time just waiting to go.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:12 PM

Like everyone else said, i think it all depends. If you like doing your own work, and have the time and money and tools, build your own. But if the rig you are looking at buying is built STRONG, and is still in good condition, and you just want to go wheeling, and not spend months building, but an already built one.

It all depends on how the rig was built. Usually buying an already built one will save you lots of money, but maybe not as fun.

Last edited by Serith; 01-21-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:49 PM

i would definetly go by the quality of work that was done on the built up rig.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:55 PM

Talking Real rigs are built not bought

IMO its just better to buy a rig thats NOT built so you can build it. You just never know who really built a rig or how they built it. Building it yourself you have that accomplishment that you can always look back on and be proud of. Im sure this is not the story I would not be telling a potential buyer if I were to be selling a built rig. Ive learned so much while building what ive got. I have so much to still learn and so much to still do. I wouldnt have it any other way. Blue
Old 01-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

I am of two minds on this. If you buy a modded rig, you can be buying someone elses problem or you can be buying a great start.

But on the other hand, when you build it yourself, it's a lot of work and you take the depreciation hit on the parts, but you know every bolt in the system so when it needs "adjusting" you know what you did at install.

Either way you can win
Old 01-21-2004, 08:44 PM

Keep in mine that you're compare apple and orange when you compare 85 and 87. the front suspensions are NOT the same lift or not.

If you don't know what to look for in a built rig then get the stock one. Atleast you know it was factory built. If you have no experience off-roading with the similar built rig then get the stock one. You might as well learn as you built it up so you know what each component does and how they help off-road.

I hate to see someone ruin a good built rig cause they don't know how to drive it like those guys in the Monster Garage. ....oops, maybe another thread...

Last edited by anthony1; 01-21-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Good comments guys, you're voicing alot of the same ideas that have been running through my head. This sport isn't only about the money. I'm having fun wheeling my 3rd gen 4runner at the moment, but have more or less finished modding it, short of going to SAS. Its too expensive a vehicle to smash up on the trail for me, and the fear of body damage prevents me from progressing to tougher more challenging trails. So, at the moment, I'm looking for a 1st gen, 85 specifically, since its the last year of the front solid axle, first year of EFI, and a ton of potential to be turned into a competent wheeling rig. I'm not ready for a trailer...yet...but this will be a long term project. So, I'm leaning towards getting the stocker at the moment.

Antony, I guess I wasn't real clear, both vehicles are 1985 4runners, solid axle with EFI, but the stocker has had the same owner since 1987, so it hasn't seen alot of different owners. I'm leaning towards the stocker.

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 01-21-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 PM

Half the fun is learning about your rig and knowing exactly what you have in to it. Why pay for someone else's mods some will be good some will be less then desirable. Stock and one owner is kinda hard to beat.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:53 PM

Hey David,
Go for the stocker man.

Its the only way to really learn the in/outs of your rig.

Look at it this way. You buy the built up rig. All is good cause you saved all that sweat building it yourself. But opps something goes wrong on the trail. For all you know he could have fabbed up his own suspension and your stuck trying to figure it out at the most inopportune time.

Go with the force Luke. Go for the stocker.
Oh and have you found any for me. he
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 PM

Heres an inspiration for you.
Its one of my favs.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Pennies

My choice would be the stocker, hands down. Half the fun of wheeling is building it yourself to get it to wheel! I have yet to even really take mine out to do any wheeling YET, but dang I've sure had some fun "fixin'" to! Go with the stocker and have fun while you build it up, especially sine ONE person has owned that puppy since 1987.

Buying someone else's "modded" rig is like wearing their used underwear, who knows what all has gone on in there!

Old 01-22-2004, 05:14 AM

Definitely go for the stocker. Like Rob said, you might be getting someone elses problems, plus - if it's already built, it's already been wheeled. Now if the built rig has EVERYTHING done the way you would do it, that would be a harder decision. I'm guessing it isn't - so you have a compromise.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:36 AM

I'd have to compare them in person...

I think everyone's right so far. There's a risk involved in the built-rig, so at least with the stocker you are (sorta) guaranteed a good base to work with.

The only thing that would sway me...is wanting to take that thing right to the trails, that very same day.
In that case, you might as well go for built (depending on the condition). Otherwise you are probably looking out a few months before the stocker is where the built-rig is at...
(assuming the funds are there for mods)

Jim
Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

All of my vehicles have been stock when I bought it. I get a personal satisfaction from spending the time and money building it up myself.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Compared to my 3rd gen, it'll be so much easier to source parts, since there's actually more than one company making bolt on parts. I'll likely return my 3rd gen to somewhat stock, re-coop some money to be used for the trail rig.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Cool

I have bought ready to go and stock. As long as you know about all the parts and understand them you can buy one at a better price than you can build one. If you don't have the knowledge of what is in a good trail rig then build one from stock. When you get it the way you want it you will have the knowledge....
Old 01-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Buy built, or build your own?

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Okay, in my never ending quest to buy a trail rig, I've found two 85 4runners for the same price, one which is already built up with lockers, winch, bigger tires, and one which is completely stock, and had one owner since 87. What would you guys do? Would you save yourself some time and money by getting the vehicle that is already built up a bit, or would you rather start from scratch with a vehicle that hasn't likely been offroad much before?
How about buy a '90 4Runner V6 auto 4x4 from me and build a trail only rig! The body is trashed-sawzall can cure that and build your own tube creation, do a sas on it and wheel the hell out of it. Asking $1500 or make me an offer.

Quick Reply: Buy built, or build your own?