Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Broke my wheel lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Broke my wheel lock

Well today I was going to change all 4 of my shocks. Bought some Skyjackers nitros on the advice of some members. Jacked up the back of the rig and was able to take of the right rear and changed out the shock, not much problem. Went to the left and tried to loosen the lugs. Put the lock adapter on and tried to loose it. Would not budge, got a cheater bar and tried again. Snap, the lock on the wheel actually broke. Looked at the adapter and it was all messed up. The bad thing was that this adapter was for my Tacoma, I lost the one for my 4runner. Are all adapters universal? I could not believe my Tacoma one fit my after market wheels on the 4Runner. Now I have to go the place that last rotated my tires and get them to remove the lock and hopefully replace the adapter. To make matters worse, I had one hell of a time with the left shock. Had to cut the nut off with a dremel tool. Not a good afternoon. Still have the front to do and cannot do those until I get a new adapter.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post a pic of what the adapter looks like.
I may have an extra one I can send you.
Free of course
Old 02-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Well today I was going to change all 4 of my shocks. Bought some Skyjackers nitros on the advice of some members. Jacked up the back of the rig and was able to take of the right rear and changed out the shock, not much problem. Went to the left and tried to loosen the lugs. Put the lock adapter on and tried to loose it. Would not budge, got a cheater bar and tried again. Snap, the lock on the wheel actually broke. Looked at the adapter and it was all messed up. The bad thing was that this adapter was for my Tacoma, I lost the one for my 4runner. Are all adapters universal? I could not believe my Tacoma one fit my after market wheels on the 4Runner. Now I have to go the place that last rotated my tires and get them to remove the lock and hopefully replace the adapter. To make matters worse, I had one hell of a time with the left shock. Had to cut the nut off with a dremel tool. Not a good afternoon. Still have the front to do and cannot do those until I get a new adapter.
Nice shocks, hehe. You take your wheels off to install them? Sounds like a lot or work to me. I installed mine on my lunch break in some random nieghborhood but my old ones wenr't that old. Anyway, never underestomate the powere of a 48 hour liquid wrench pre soak. Good luck on locateing the new tool.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Her are a pic. of the broken lock and of the adapter. Mudmonkey, if it looks the same I'll pay for the postage and your troubles, thanks.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude throw those piece of shat wheel locks away. If someone really wants your wheels, they WILL get them. My truck had them, and I didn't have the key. Took it to the shop.......he told me to pull around and he'd have em off in about 5 minutes with his universal tool that grips around the outside. Long story short, not enough room around the lugs to get it on. Ended up welding lug nuts on each of the locks and then spinning them off. I will never buy a set of those ever again. JUNK!!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:04 AM
WT

May want to look at some thing like this I know others make them too..
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ab=des#tablink
Old 02-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

I would sugest that you take it to a tire store such as Schwabs. Definetly get Gorilla Locks next time. They don't look as nice but they won't break.. The welding option mentioned is a good one. the welding heat will cause the lock to expand too so it won't be as tight, that is, as long as it doesn't cool all the way.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Well I took it to the place that last rotated the tires and the mechanic was able to remove the broken one and the others. He had some replacement locks but they wouldn't fit the wheel hole so I told him to just put some regular lugs on, which he did. I'm definitely going lockless now.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

The biggest problem I see is when a shop over-tightens the wheel locks, then it becomes a PITA to get them off. I always hand tighten them with the factory wrench.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

There is a kid that I was talkingto at the local "spot" that was bragging one night about how the wheels and tires cost him $12,000 and I guess the wrong people heard about it and whoever stole it ditched it and everything was ok except the wheels were missing. He said he had 4 different locks on them. I couldn't see because it was dark. This is one reason why I stay away from the bling and those "rob me" stickers people put on the cars. Unwanted attention.
BTW. they were Spinners. (when they first came out)
He was talking about all these upgrades he wanted to do to make it faster, even with wheels that weigh 7,000,000 lbs each

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-21-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=93ToyKid]Dude throw those piece of shat wheel locks away. If someone really wants your wheels, they WILL get them... QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. Guys who steal wheels are not going to be stopped by wheel locks. They are simply more trouble than they are worth.

Guys, buy some torque sticks and use your air gun. No need to bust out the torque wrench unless you have to.

-Wrench