Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brembo (Blank) Rotors and Hawk pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo (Blank) Rotors and Hawk pads

Last night I ordered Brembo (Blank) rotors and Hawk pads for my 01 Tacoma. It was $147.00 total and I should have them in 4 days or less.
Hope this helps with my rotor warping problem.
I do allot of mountain driving and crossing allot of creeks and rivers full of cold water and the standard rotors and pads just don't last.
Talked to my mechanic and he was really glad that I got the Brembos and Hawk pads. He said that was the best combo he has ever seen when it comes to good brakes for a Tacoma in our mountain road area. Mike
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
re

that's a good price. which site did you use? i'm assuming you got them online- i'll probably order the same combo in a week or two as my brakes are starting to squeak
Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 AM

tirerack.com stocks both products

i'm going to go for the cryo treated rotors
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 AM

good deal mine are getting worn... never had any warping issues bc i dont offroad hardly ever. just a lot mileage... let us know how it goes man!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

You think the Hawk pads are a great imporvement over the EBC Pads? Or do you just prefer the Hawk brand? I been thinking of going for Brembo blanks and EBC Green Pads...I dont make enough rotor heat for EBC Reds...
I didnt really even consider the Hawk's although I used to run them on my ricer...hehm.. Let me know how they work out.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 AM

After doing alot of researching on the subject and prices this is where I ordered my rotors and Hawk pads from. They are actually cheaper than Tirerack due to free shipping. The Brembo blank rotors for my 01 ,2.7, extend.cab,4x4 Tacoma are $43.95 each and the Hawk pads are $59.27 for a set.
From everything I have read the Hawk pads are the best and people who have them swear by them. I have read several complaints about the EBC pads and that was why I made the decision I did about the Hawk pads. Time will tell the truth for me and I will keep you all posted from time to time once I have them on, Here is where I bought them:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...=321&year=2001

Here is a great site about the Hawk pads and brakes in general:

http://www.raceshopper.com/tech.shtml

Last edited by Beartracker; 03-19-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 AM

i run brembo and hawk on my nissan. different application but they work very well and i will be running them on my truck when its time for new brakes
Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 AM

that is my front brake setup. they work vary well and stop like a mofo. but the pads dont last as long as others. and dust like no other.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure we will hear from others who use this combo when it comes to there brakes. Now I'm thinking about putting the disc brakes on the rear of my Tacoma and getting rid of the shoes. Mike
Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Hawk pads stop great but the big drawback is a massive amount of brake dust they generate. If brake dust is a concern, look at using some Akebono ProAct ceramic pads......stopping power is just slightly less than the Hawk, but barely any dust.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Thanks Jamie, but dust really doesn't concern me that much. I just keep the wheels cleaned all the time. I'm in mud and slop or just water about every day and the local car wash is put to good use,lol. Mike
Old 03-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
After doing alot of researching on the subject and prices this is where I ordered my rotors and Hawk pads from. They are actually cheaper than Tirerack due to free shipping. The Brembo blank rotors for my 01 ,2.7, extend.cab,4x4 Tacoma are $43.95 each and the Hawk pads are $59.27 for a set.
From everything I have read the Hawk pads are the best and people who have them swear by them. I have read several complaints about the EBC pads and that was why I made the decision I did about the Hawk pads. Time will tell the truth for me and I will keep you all posted from time to time once I have them on, Here is where I bought them:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...=321&year=2001
I know that dealer. They are good. That?s one of the dealer I have though I also have this for Brembo Brakes. I?ve selected the best ones so in case I need them, I don?t have to search anymore.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 PM

I have Hawk LTS pads, and I would never use another brand. They've got great bite and tons of stopping power. I've cooked them coming down the mountain on Hwy. 38 from Big Bear and they delivered minimal fade and still gave me confidence.

I still can't figure out why people are stuck on Brembo rotors; they aren't any better than non-Aimco auto parts store rotors. I just put a set of Raybestos rotors on my dad's Pontiac Bonneville that had black painted hats and edges. Thought that was pretty nifty for less than the cost of a Brembo rotor...

I also can't believe anyone would bitch about brake dust on a truck. If you're actually taking your vehicle off road, then why would BARELY noticeable brake dust be of any concern? It's not like these are Hawk Blue's with brake dust that can ruin wheels. 15 seconds with a hose can get your wheels back to H2 Barbie status if you desire. I just find this laughable...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 PM

Advising someone and bitching are two different things.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Midget96
I have Hawk LTS pads, and I would never use another brand. They've got great bite and tons of stopping power. I've cooked them coming down the mountain on Hwy. 38 from Big Bear and they delivered minimal fade and still gave me confidence.

I still can't figure out why people are stuck on Brembo rotors; they aren't any better than non-Aimco auto parts store rotors. I just put a set of Raybestos rotors on my dad's Pontiac Bonneville that had black painted hats and edges. Thought that was pretty nifty for less than the cost of a Brembo rotor...

I also can't believe anyone would bitch about brake dust on a truck. If you're actually taking your vehicle off road, then why would BARELY noticeable brake dust be of any concern? It's not like these are Hawk Blue's with brake dust that can ruin wheels. 15 seconds with a hose can get your wheels back to H2 Barbie status if you desire. I just find this laughable...
You have to keep in mind that some people drive street queens or they just like to keep there fancy rims looking good. Can't fault them for that. As fore Jamie telling me about the dust I have learned to trust what that guy Say's a long time ago. He is one of the few who knows what he is talking about before he opens his mouth. X2and4X is right on with his comment too.
As for using Brembo rotors over some of the others it's because they make a superior rotor and don't ask me to prove that. I'm going by what others have found out through trial and era who know a whole lot more than I do. I'm tired of warped rotors in less than 9 months or so. I'm hoping these will last longer as that's been the case with many on this site and others who switched to the Brembos and Hawk pads.
I'm really glad to hear that you like the Hawk pads too and can't wait to try them out on these roads. The last time I was on Big Bear the Indians still had there Tee-pees set up,Lol. Mike
Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 AM

i am going to need brakes soon too.. i have the same truck as you mike. well close enough.. let us know how they work for you. i have OEM pads and rotors and they have held up for about 35k miles so far (a lot of highway miles). got them checked yesterday and they were around "30%" ... the OEM brakes are ok. they stop the truck but sometimes i feel like i have to mash them down ESP with a boat behind it. so i will upgrade to brembo blanks w\hawks or the akebomo (sp)
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM

mkgarrison5, I'm hoping they come in a few days. My mechanic just told me to bring them down when I get them and he would put them on right away.He knows that as soon as the weather breaks I'll be back in the bush and running the hell out of my Tacoma while photographing Bear around here,Lol. Hope these rotors and pads hold up in water and mud. I'll will give them a real test, thats for sure!, Mike
Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 AM

what about slotted rotors? would it matter if mud got in the slots
Old 03-20-2007, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
what about slotted rotors? would it matter if mud got in the slots

yes and rocks too. use blanks
Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
mkgarrison5, I'm hoping they come in a few days. My mechanic just told me to bring them down when I get them and he would put them on right away.He knows that as soon as the weather breaks I'll be back in the bush and running the hell out of my Tacoma while photographing Bear around here,Lol. Hope these rotors and pads hold up in water and mud. I'll will give them a real test, thats for sure!, Mike
where you live at bear?? you say you go chasin bears down and take pics. how do you like the 4 cylinder muddin and etc?? .. i still havent mounted my driving lights on the top of the bumper like yours.. i want to mount fog lights on the lower black valence but the only ones i have found that may could fit thats under 150$ is the hella ff75's... you know of any that could fit down there? i have the same truck as yours just an extra cab

Quick Reply: Brembo (Blank) Rotors and Hawk pads