Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

brakes squeak when not on the pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes squeak when not on the pedal

Hi guys. I've searched and read all the threads but no answers...

I have a 3rd Gen and have had my rotors and pads changed about 4 months ago. Recently I've developed a squeak when driving and not on the brake. Then when I press the pedal it stops. Its also at the same fequency as my speed (how do you describe that??)

Anyway does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:06 PM

i have this same problem
mine is more of a squeal though
i can even hear it at highway speeds
but i still havent figured out what it is
i thought that it might be the brakes but it doesnt even when im not pressing on them
the high pitch squeal has gotten really annoying and i can even hear it at highway speeds
im starting to think that its a problem with the wheels
Old 11-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Hmmm...well if your pads are really really thin and almost completely worn, the calipers will hold them close enough to cause the wear indicators (hissing noise) to sound even if the brakes aren't being applied.

Also, I had this problem once and it was some hardware that wasn't completely secure. I believe it was a thin metal bracket that held the pad pins in place on top of the caliper.

If your brakes are relatively new, I would suggest pulling off the wheels and making sure that whomever installed them didn't leave some hardware unsecure or protruding.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 months is way too soon for your pads to be worn down to the wear indicators.

I bet all that's wrong is that whoever installed your brake pads failed to put the anti-squeak goo on the back of the pads.

The pads are always in light contact with the rotor, but you know how if you wet your finger and rub it around the edge of a goblet, it starts ringing? Same type thing with the brake pads - only no wetting and no fingers!

The anti-squeak goo just dampens any pad vibrations and prevents the squeaking noise. You can have that put on your pads any time to see if the squeaking goes away.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:51 PM

not your brakes, it's a wheel bearing noise. braking puts pressure on bearing and noise stops. repack or replace.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 PM

Wheel bearings don't squeak when they go bad. They make crunching and rumbling noises.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by FastCat
Wheel bearings don't squeak when they go bad. They make crunching and rumbling noises.
if you've trashed them, yes. if they lost lube, they squeak. happened to me a couple of times over the last 30 years.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by javadoody
if you've trashed them, yes. if they lost lube, they squeak. happened to me a couple of times over the last 30 years.
It could be bearings but you can't repack them on a 3rd gen 4x4.
My bet is still on the brakes though.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-22-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:00 AM

Could It Be Aftermarket Pads...?

I had the same problem, I was being lazy and did'nt want to do my brakes myself for some stupid reason, so I took it in to a place that does just tires only. No sooner than a week later after I did, my brakes started to not only squeak, but howl, so I took it back in and asked them to check them out, they said that they checked em' and drove it around and could'nt find a thing wrong...? So after getting the total runaround, twice, I decided to go home and take the wheels off and check it out myself, when I took the drivers side front wheel off and looked at it, there was no hardware or separator springs, there was'nt any anti-sqeak silicone on the pads, like they said they put on and the pad on the outside would'nt even move back and forth in the caliper. So I went back and confronted them about it and the manager said that "All the extra hardware is overkill nonsense stuff that Toyota adds and it does'nt affect the brakes in any way and it does'nt matter if it's in there or not and would not cause it to make any noise". My response was "Riiiiight", I turned around, let the smoke billow back out of my a$$, went home and fired off a letter to their corporate office, they sent me a check back for the total cost of my brakes and I went straight to the stealership, purchased a set of real Toyota pads with all the hardware and did'nt have another problem with the brakes again. I've owned seven other Yota's since, always used the factory pads since, installed them myself and never heard squat out of them.

RBMC

Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:20 AM

Without hearing the noise in question, I guess I shouldn't eliminate the possibility of a wheel bearing squeaking, however unlikely, as the culprit.

9 times out of 10 though, the reason for squeaking at the wheels is brake related, and is a much easier thing to check before moving on to disassembling the hub/rotor to check the bearings.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM

Thanks everyone. I will have the brakes looked at. Thanks again!!