Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake Warpage Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Warpage Problems

Hey guys, I am new to the board but have been reading for a while. I tried searching on this topic and found some results but think I still need some more info. I have a 99 4runner with 100,000 miles on it and have been having a lot of trouble with the brakes. I have gone through a set of raybestos rotors and a set of replacement Toyota rotors and have rebuilt the calipers to rule out them sticking and overheating. I have just warped my third set of rotors. I do not ride the brakes at all as I am very aware of this problem. I was considering getting either Powerslots or crossdrilled Brembos??? Any thought on this or should I just go with cheap replacements again. Any advice would be appreciated, I am getting sick of this problem and want it fixed! Thanks, Tyler
Old 05-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

I think I know what your problem is because I am having the same problem. I've just warped a brand new set of rotors in about 7K miles.

It's been mentioned on this board that when the rear brakes are out of adjustment, the front rotors will warp quickly due to the increased heat put on them. I'm going to readjust my rears but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You should give this a shot. Another possibility is that your rear axle seals may be leaking onto your brake shoes and causing them not to work very well. Either way, you should pull your drums and readjust/replace your brakes.

I bet that solves your problem.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:17 AM

Just another reason to convert the rear brakes to Disc. :p

If the 4Runner is setup at all like the T100, 80% of your braking power is going to the front brakes anyway. These aren't light cars, and that's a lot of pressure to put on a pair of brake discs. Larger rotors or rotors that have way more sufrace area will probably help, if not eliminate your problem. Rotors most commonly warp during high speed braking, or when the rotors are hot and get wet.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:52 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well first off many have experianced Warped rotors on 3rd gens its a combination of things I think, to heavy for the size of the rotor, rears out of adjustments, user error run them thru water after making several hard stops. After my second set of Factory ones I replaced them with these.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69409835qCJewR
Powerstop crossed drilled and a set of pads (perfomance friction) from autozone that are made by TRD. and not had any issues with warping since, I also on occasion when I rotate my tires adjust the rear brakes.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:42 PM

After doing some research I think I'll adjust the rear brakes (how often do I need to do this?) and put new shoes in at the same time. I'm also going to try some powerslot rotors and not sure about the pads yet. My Toyota pads still have lots left, would these be fine? I've also heard good things about Performance Friction pads but don't know where to get them here in Canada. I think I can order online from Performance Friction but am not sure. I typed in part number 5024, is this right for my application (99 runner v6 16inch wheels)? Thanks again Tyler
Old 05-09-2004, 07:49 PM
WT

Originally Posted by 994runner
After doing some research I think I'll adjust the rear brakes (how often do I need to do this?) and put new shoes in at the same time. I'm also going to try some powerslot rotors and not sure about the pads yet. My Toyota pads still have lots left, would these be fine? I've also heard good things about Performance Friction pads but don't know where to get them here in Canada. I think I can order online from Performance Friction but am not sure. I typed in part number 5024, is this right for my application (99 runner v6 16inch wheels)? Thanks again Tyler
I say if you already have warped rotors replace the pads not that much and better for the new rotors to have new pads that arn't glazed or not quite flat anymore. I got my Performance Frictions from Auto Zone not sure if they have them in canda plus they have a lifetime warrenty, Maybe you can order online with them and have them ship to you.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by 994runner
Hey guys, I am new to the board but have been reading for a while. I tried searching on this topic and found some results but think I still need some more info. I have a 99 4runner with 100,000 miles on it and have been having a lot of trouble with the brakes. I have gone through a set of raybestos rotors and a set of replacement Toyota rotors and have rebuilt the calipers to rule out them sticking and overheating. I have just warped my third set of rotors. I do not ride the brakes at all as I am very aware of this problem. I was considering getting either Powerslots or crossdrilled Brembos??? Any thought on this or should I just go with cheap replacements again. Any advice would be appreciated, I am getting sick of this problem and want it fixed! Thanks, Tyler
Do you have 15" or 16" wheels on this 4Runner. I think that the brakes on the 16" 4Runners are larger. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Mike
Old 05-10-2004, 06:05 AM

Another way you can warp your rotors is by overtightening your lug nuts. Sounds funny but it is true. Check out these post for more info.

lug nuts

Hand tightening lug nuts

Check your owners manual or a Haynes for the proper torque spec.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:31 PM

Yeah I always use a torque wrench when I put the wheels back on. I have 16 inch wheels, I saw there were two part numbers for powerslots so I ordered the bigger ones assuming the 16's would need the bigger brakes, anyone know if this is right???