Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake caliper questions 004runner, I searched

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake caliper questions 004runner, I searched

ok, I have searched and I think read every post there is on brakes, bleeding brakes, master cylinder replacement etc.

I posted the other day about doing a caliper rebuild then running into trouble once I put the caliper back on.

Picked up a new MC last night and hope to put it on this evening, however as I have learned it is better not to mess with things if you don't have to. (lesson learned, leave small tear in caliper boot alone)

When i pulled my caliper apart I used compressed air, cleaned things up, careful not to get debris in the caliper, put everything together, with caliper lube, pushed calipers all the way in, then put it on the truck, installed line, bolts, then pads shims etc. then proceeded to bleed system.

Question :1 Is this correct? can air get trapped in the caliper?? the bleed valve is slightly above the intake line.. I've always assumed the adequately provides fluid to the far side.

My symptom is that I have a swishy pedal, it doesn't really hold pressure, the advice is that when bleeding i probably pushed the pedal too far into the portion of the MC which wasn't used much and comprimised the seal. (4 mo ago I replaced my Clutch MC, so timing would seem reasonable, much easier job).

I guess I could have also accidently got air in the system if my MC resevoir got too low but I thought I was ok with that.

Question 2: if I got air in the MC.. how long/ how much fluid would I need to put through the system to get it out.. considerable I would think.

Question 3: I've done considerable reading on MC replacement, bench bleeding, install, put a little pressure on the pedal and crack the lines once it is all installed.. is there a need to crack any other lines, or will bleeding at all 4 wheels in correct order be sufficient. (no lpv)

Question 4: (yes last one) correct order for the 2002 runner would be diver rear, pass rear, pass front, driver front.

I appologize for all the questions, thought I could handle this simple brake project, had done the research etc. regretting doing it and now feel completely over my head, although you guys all make it sound so strait forward.

Thank you again to those of you who have helped me so far. I'll try the MC replacement and bleed everything again, and if that fails, I guess I'll be calling a tow truck.

Thanks
Tom