Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

brake bleeding experts---HELP pictures

Old 01-15-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake bleeding experts---HELP pictures

I have purchased this motive bleeder which is featured in many write ups. Also it is the model recommended to "supposedly" fit all toyota models but after gathering all my needed supplies to bleed my brakes on my 2002 2wd 4runner I can not find a way to fit the adapter to the master container. Can anyone help me?? I have already emptied my master fluid reservoir and currently the truck is sitting on my driveway. I plan to do it today if I find an answer to my question.

any help is appreciated
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used a similar model, the way they mount to the M/C can be a real pain sometimes. On my mustang I placed the flat piece over the M/C then you wrap the chain under the whole M/C and then link it back to the plate and tighten it. The seal isnt always great, I had a brake fluid mess the 1st time so keep rags handy, and to be honest another helper is the best way to make sure no messes occur!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:28 AM

thanks fiveofeen

but the thing is that there is no space under my mc to run the chain under it...also the adapter is not long enough as to clear the sides of the mc so that the metal screws can attach to the chain. Do you see what I am saying?

I could go out and take pics if someone wants me to so to get a better picture of my problem...can someone help me??
Old 01-15-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ColImport
I have purchased this motive bleeder which is featured in many write ups. Also it is the model recommended to "supposedly" fit all toyota models but after gathering all my needed supplies to bleed my brakes on my 2002 2wd 4runner I can not find a way to fit the adapter to the master container. Can anyone help me?? I have already emptied my master fluid reservoir and currently the truck is sitting on my driveway. I plan to do it today if I find an answer to my question.

any help is appreciated
Hey ColImport,

I too just purchased the Motive Power Bleeder for my repair job that I am soon to do. I am assuming you have the import model, which has the specific adapters to fit the Toyota. The universal will give you fits. The proper Motive Power Bleeder you should have gotten was: 0251.

When hooking up the adapter to the master cylinder. First make sure that the sealing rubber disc is inserted into the cap top. This will make the seal. Then align the top so that the fingers of the adapter are running parallel with the body of the MC. So, if you were standing in front of the truck, the two lips where the J bolts go in should be at 12 and 6 o'clock, like I said running parallel with the body of the MC.

Then, what you want to do is turn the adapter to either 11 and 5 o'clock, or 1 and 7 o'clock, so that the fingers of the adapter are just offset to the MC's lines. The J end of the hook should be down. The chain will loop under. Hook the chain with the J and then tighten up with the nuts. Doing it this way will give the chain the greatest contact patch against the MC. Do not over tighten as you will break the seal on the lip of the MC Fluid Reservoir.

Make sure you have min 2 quarts of brake fluid in the chamber of the bleeder. Pump up to 15 PSI. Start at the drivers rear, then passenger rear, then passenger front, then driver front, then LSPV located by the gas tank on the frame. Run the fluid through each bleeder valve into a catch bottle, or hopefully you purchased the catch bottle accessory, until visually the brake fluid runs steady, no air. Once that occurs, tighten each bleed valve to spec.

I know it sounds as easy as 1-2-3...I'll have to see myself when i try. I hope this works. Every write up says its worth the investment.

I got mine at www.trackhaus.com for $59.95 + $15.00 for the catch bottle.

Best wishes!

Randy
MUDN4RNR
Old 01-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Nic

So, the import model is the better one to use instead of the universal? I was planning on purchasing one soon and was thinking that the universal was OK.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nic
So, the import model is the better one to use instead of the universal? I was planning on purchasing one soon and was thinking that the universal was OK.

Exactly. Motive Power has several different adapters to fit domestic, import and foreign vehicles. If you have just imports, purchase the import specific version, which comes with Toyota adapter 1101. This will fit all Toyotas. I highly recommend you get the catch bottle accessory. If you need to get the other connecters you can purchase them separately.

Remember the claim: Universal fits-oxymoron-what fits, the part or you!
Be specific-get that which you have need for.

Randy
Old 01-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Nic

Hmm. OK. I notice that the universal model I was thinking about buying comes with adapter 1101. The import model includes adapter 1100 and 1101. This is where I was going to order it:

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...st.asp?scat=26
Old 01-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nic
Hmm. OK. I notice that the universal model I was thinking about buying comes with adapter 1101. The import model includes adapter 1100 and 1101. This is where I was going to order it:

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...st.asp?scat=26
Yuppers,

That's the one. Looks like you got a little better of a deal than I did. I paid for shipping. Make sure you order the catch bottle, which is an accessory. You'll be glad you did.

I hope that I have helped you. Remember to post your success and or trials so we all can learn from one another.

Thanks!

Randy
MUDN4RNR
Old 01-16-2005, 10:12 AM

I got the 1101 adapter and it does not fit my 2002 4runner. And on the website it says that it would fit all toyotas. I think they have a mistake because the recommended adapter does not fit my mc.
None the less I have purchased a mc cap and drilled a hole and glued a hose fitting with epoxy and it works beter becaus you dont have to wrap a chain around. I dont know why motive does not do it this way. Just fabricate mc caps for all vehicles and adapt hose fittings to it....pretty easy.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Nic

At least you got them bleed. I also take it your master cylinder cap is screw-on?

I just finished doing mine with the Motive Bleeder. It was by no means difficult, but I had a problem with the adapter as well. I never could tighten the adapter enough on the reservoir to get a proper seal. As it turned out the lip of the adapter (on one side) was hitting the side of my reservoir and preventing me from getting a good seal. So I had to trim the lip of the adapter down some so it wouldn't touch the reservoir. Once I removed enough plastic, it worked OK. The brass fiiting that joins the two hoses was also leaking, and I had to tighten it as hard as I could-it still leaked some. Maybe some teflon tape would help seal it better.

I'll have to admit, the thing works once you get those little problems solved. After I finished my brakes, I did my clutch. I actually had no problems doing the clutch other than the work space being a little small.

In the end, I wasn't overly impressed with the Motive Bleeder due to the initial problems. I too think the adapter caps need improvement. But, I was able to do it by myself and now I have clean brake fluid in both master cylinders. It was nice to see the clear fluid in the reservoirs instead of the brown stuff.

I think it was worth the money. I don't regret buying it.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what's the difference between an import and a foriegn vehicle?

how do those things work? my little 4oz bottle with a magnet and a piece of hose does the job, although i'd really prefer something better...
Old 01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Nic

The best way I can describe how it works is that it pushes brake fluid through your system by creating a positive pressure. The little tank that holds the brake fluid has a pump on it that is similar to the something you would spray weed killer with, but smaller. Once you get everything pressurized with no leaks, just loosen the bleeders and let the brake fluid come out under pressure. The tank feeds the master cylinder brake fluid as needed. It dribbles out of the bleeders kinda slow, but fast enough. Doesn't take that long once you actually start bleeding.

The good thing about this is you never have to pump the brakes/clutch or for that matter, even get in the vehicle.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds pretty cool. i might have to look into one of those gadgets
Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 AM

don't try this at home

Originally Posted by ColImport
I got the 1101 adapter and it does not fit my 2002 4runner. And on the website it says that it would fit all toyotas. I think they have a mistake because the recommended adapter does not fit my mc.
None the less I have purchased a mc cap and drilled a hole and glued a hose fitting with epoxy and it works beter becaus you dont have to wrap a chain around. I dont know why motive does not do it this way. Just fabricate mc caps for all vehicles and adapt hose fittings to it....pretty easy.

I tried this trick for the clutch mc. The cap popped off at 15psi, and brake fluid went everywhere. The cleanup took forever. Eventually, I made room for the 1101 adaptor by unscrewing the vacuum hose connectors in front of the clutch mc.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFAIK - the Motive was ORIGINALLY desinged for "euro" cars. I have one for my VW.

On the Euro cars - the brake fluid res has a SREW on cap. So it isnt going to pop off (i.e. why there is a chain on the import ones)

As much as I find the motive VERY convenient when bleeding the Golf - Im hesitant to try the "chain cap" adapter thing on the 4Runner...

I'll stick with the classic "down up down up" thing