Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bought a new truck, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought a new truck, couple questions

Yesterday I picked up a 2002 Tacoma TRD, they were asking 12K I paid 8K.

It has the following options,

-Diff locker
-3.4L 5VZE
-XCab
-5spd
-TRD Package
-4x4
-Power everything
-K&N Intake
-112,XXX miles
-Borla Exhaust.

It was involved in one accident which was not repaired (the rear bumper got bent a little) so I will be replacing the bumper with a Trail-Gear most likely.

But since i'm new to these Tacomas I have a few questions;

-How much oil does the 5VZE take? I am seeing 5.8qts.

-I need to replace the brakes, is there an upgrade I should do while i'm at it? Edit: Found the Tundra upgrade.

I appreciate any tips/advice you guys can give me, as i will be searching too.

I will try and get pics up soon!

-Thanks, Brian

Last edited by Swimmerboy2112; 11-20-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know much about tacomas either but... score! I have heard/read that these engines are very powerful and it will be sweet not to have torsion bars. Looking forward to see what you do to it...
Old 11-20-2011, 04:02 AM

I want a factory diff. lock
Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by sc87yota
I dont know much about tacomas either but... score! I have heard/read that these engines are very powerful and it will be sweet not to have torsion bars. Looking forward to see what you do to it...
Yeah i'll say this, it feels like a rocket ship compared to my 86' 4Runner! lol

haha it was funny the first time I looked under the truck at the front end parts i was like woah! it has coils up front!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 AM

I want a factory diff. lock
I have yet to test it, but i'm sure it will be nice.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
No pics. FAIL.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I suppose your gonna try to sell this one for $12k after you put a rear bumper on it?

Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Good find! I did the tundra brake upgrade and am very happy with it. There are two different tundra calipers you can you. Here is a great thread about it. Depending on the condition on you soft lines, you might want stainless steel lines at the same time. The 5vz is a great motor. I've got 186,000 on mine with no problems.

One good mod for the e locker is the grey/blue wire mod. The 4runners and tacomas have different color wires but it is one of those two. When you splice that wire in your 4wd control box it lets you lock the rear diff when your not in 4 low. Very handy to have.

Be careful with your K&N filter, if you over oil it it will clog your maf and trigger a cel.

The deckplate mod is very popular. There is a raging debate whether or not it gains any actual power but it makes a lot of noise. I like mine quiet. Taking off the air elbow inside the fender does help too.

My engine always takes about 5.5 quarts. I think there aren't any differences in oil capacity.

Since your has power everything and is an xtra cab I doubt it has manual locking hubs. Those only came on the base 4wd's but are nice to have. I don't know how much you know about the ADD system. Your front drive shaft and axles are spinning all the time whether or not your in 4wd. The system is then engaged to the transfer case when you engage 4wd. Getting the manual hubs eases wear on axles, cv joints and boots, etc. Plus you get a small mpg boost.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Look around. There is a ton of stuff. Scuba knows that truck inside and out. I've really enjoyed your 4runner. Curious to see what you do to this one.

Wabbit is right. Where's the pics?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Oh one more thing. You might already know this but you'll hear a lot about the strawberry milkshake. You don't have to worry about since you've got a manual. Have fun!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 01 taco 3.4 takes 6.4 quarts
Old 11-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
No pics. FAIL.

:wabbit2:
Soon.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I suppose your gonna try to sell this one for $12k after you put a rear bumper on it?

Lol no this one's staying with me.

Originally Posted by JBurt
Good find! I did the tundra brake upgrade and am very happy with it. There are two different tundra calipers you can you. Here is a great thread about it. Depending on the condition on you soft lines, you might want stainless steel lines at the same time. The 5vz is a great motor. I've got 186,000 on mine with no problems.

One good mod for the e locker is the grey/blue wire mod. The 4runners and tacomas have different color wires but it is one of those two. When you splice that wire in your 4wd control box it lets you lock the rear diff when your not in 4 low. Very handy to have.

Be careful with your K&N filter, if you over oil it it will clog your maf and trigger a cel.

The deckplate mod is very popular. There is a raging debate whether or not it gains any actual power but it makes a lot of noise. I like mine quiet. Taking off the air elbow inside the fender does help too.

My engine always takes about 5.5 quarts. I think there aren't any differences in oil capacity.

Since your has power everything and is an xtra cab I doubt it has manual locking hubs. Those only came on the base 4wd's but are nice to have. I don't know how much you know about the ADD system. Your front drive shaft and axles are spinning all the time whether or not your in 4wd. The system is then engaged to the transfer case when you engage 4wd. Getting the manual hubs eases wear on axles, cv joints and boots, etc. Plus you get a small mpg boost.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Look around. There is a ton of stuff. Scuba knows that truck inside and out. I've really enjoyed your 4runner. Curious to see what you do to this one.

Wabbit is right. Where's the pics?
Oh one more thing. You might already know this but you'll hear a lot about the strawberry milkshake. You don't have to worry about since you've got a manual. Have fun!
Wow! Awesome! What a plethora of information!

Really greatly appreciate all the info!

Keep a look out for the build-thread!

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
My 01 taco 3.4 takes 6.4 quarts
Hmm, that seems more than what i'm reading.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
pics?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Here's the pics,

Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Firetruck! That thing is clean.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Good looking truck! You sure don't like the dull blend in colors though. I've always liked that red.

I don't mind sharing. I haven't come up with any of that on my own. Just happy to pass it along. Make sure to put a link to the build thread on here when you start one.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Firetruck! That thing is clean.
Yeah! Thanks!

Good looking truck! You sure don't like the dull blend in colors though. I've always liked that red.

I don't mind sharing. I haven't come up with any of that on my own. Just happy to pass it along. Make sure to put a link to the build thread on here when you start one.
Thanks man! haha yeah i do like the bright colors!

Again I appreciate all the info. I'll be sure to post the link on here!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Sweet find!! Deckplate mod is awesome, its the ISR mod that people question whether it produces any results or not.

Have you looked under the truck at the frame? I know there was a frame recall for these trucks for the frame rotting away, and it seemed to be much worse in places where they salt the roads.

Also check the ball joints. It seems like its always the 3rd gen 4runners and 95-04 tacomas that had catastrophic failures and major damage after a ball joint goes bad.

Good luck with this one, you've definitely got the best of both worlds now having a truck AND a 4runner.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Sweet find!! Deckplate mod is awesome, its the ISR mod that people question whether it produces any results or not.

Have you looked under the truck at the frame? I know there was a frame recall for these trucks for the frame rotting away, and it seemed to be much worse in places where they salt the roads.

Also check the ball joints. It seems like its always the 3rd gen 4runners and 95-04 tacomas that had catastrophic failures and major damage after a ball joint goes bad.

Good luck with this one, you've definitely got the best of both worlds now having a truck AND a 4runner.
Thanks!

Doesn't the deckplate mod have to do with the stock air intake?

I'll have to do some searching on the ISR mod, not sure at all what that is.

I checked the truck over very well, the frame seems very well, even so, i'm going to have it checked over by a Toyota dealership so they can either coat the frame or replace it if need be.

When is the timing belt supposed to be done? I'm going to have it done the Tacoma is on 113K i think it's supposed to be done at 90K right? Either way i'm getting it done this week, not taking any chances.

Thanks for the ball joint info, i'll replace them while i'm under there.

Yeah now i have the best of both worlds, i'm excited about this
Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Oops, missed the K&N part, you wont need to worry about the deckplate.

And yes, most people will say about 90k. If it hasnt been done then its definitely do. Sometimes when the timing belt is replaced, there will be a sticker on the timing cover when the service was completed and the mileage, and sometimes they put it up front more, near where the hood support clips in. Maybe if you find a sticker saying it was done recently then that will save you a few bucks.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Oops, missed the K&N part, you wont need to worry about the deckplate.

And yes, most people will say about 90k. If it hasnt been done then its definitely do. Sometimes when the timing belt is replaced, there will be a sticker on the timing cover when the service was completed and the mileage, and sometimes they put it up front more, near where the hood support clips in. Maybe if you find a sticker saying it was done recently then that will save you a few bucks.
Yeah on my buddies T-100 with the 5VZE, it has a sticker on the timing cover saying when it was done. I couldn't find one on my Taco, so I assumed it wasn't done. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Bought a new truck, couple questions