Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Both My Rear Axels Bent - WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both My Rear Axels Bent - WTF???

I just got word from the shop that both rear axels are bent on my 99 4runner. I can't think of anything that could have caused this. No accidents, real hard hits off road, nothing.. I do tow a boat during the summer - about 4500lbs with trailer, but thats about the only "abnormal" stress I put on my rig. Any body got any ideas on what cold have caused this?

My runner: 99 highlander edition - OME front and back - 275/70/17 mtr's - 2nd gen S/C - everything else stock for the moment (for longer now with this @#$#$%!!!)
Old 03-18-2004, 07:00 PM

How about this.. When your truck is on a lift and the rear wheels are spun, do the wheels appear to wobble at all? Is any movement normal?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had 1 bent axle, and it was after the truck left the road at 30 mph and down an embankment. (not a Toyota though)
Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe someone else had a "bent axle" problem not too long ago. Do a quick search, but I believe it was because of the seals/bearings at the ends of the axles went bad, causing the wobbling.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
I have had 1 bent axle, and it was after the truck left the road at 30 mph and down an embankment. (not a Toyota though)
I didn't do anything close to that. I can't figure out what could have caused it. Anybody ever hear of defective axels on the 99 runner? It's a long shot but I am out of ideas... I hope the shop isn't trying to screw me.....
Old 03-18-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greedy
I didn't do anything close to that. I can't figure out what could have caused it. Anybody ever hear of defective axels on the 99 runner? It's a long shot but I am out of ideas... I hope the shop isn't trying to screw me.....
Could the bearings go bad with only 35,000 on my truck?? I had a 85 yota pickup and drove it into the ground but never had the bearings go out.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:24 PM

Yah Greedy it could happen if the seals failed, bearings wore unevenly, and there was pressure added from a 4,500 trailer.

Never broken a Toyota axel but, wanted to. Broke an International pickup axel and didn't event noticed it. Till the wheel fell off.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Greedy
I just got word from the shop that both rear axels are bent on my 99 4runner. I can't think of anything that could have caused this. No accidents, real hard hits off road, nothing.. I do tow a boat during the summer - about 4500lbs with trailer, but thats about the only "abnormal" stress I put on my rig. Any body got any ideas on what cold have caused this?

My runner: 99 highlander edition - OME front and back - 275/70/17 mtr's - 2nd gen S/C - everything else stock for the moment (for longer now with this @#$#$%!!!)

I have two bent axle shafts on my Tacoma... I have no idea what could have caused it. (see pic below)

http://www.toy4x4.net/rubicon_07_02/P7160103.jpg

I am going to end up getting FROR's full floating axle kit hopefully this year to take care of that problem, and this problem in the future.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:04 AM

Heavy loads won't normally put a permanent bend in the axles, though it can bend the housing. More commonly, it's impacts that get the axle. Things like hitting the railroad tracks hard on a crossing. Btdt.

But, do check and ensure it's actually the axles that are in fact bent, and not simply the wheels. The same railroad track that can bend both axles is more likely to bend both wheels first.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Heavy loads won't normally put a permanent bend in the axles, though it can bend the housing. More commonly, it's impacts that get the axle. Things like hitting the railroad tracks hard on a crossing. Btdt.

But, do check and ensure it's actually the axles that are in fact bent, and not simply the wheels. The same railroad track that can bend both axles is more likely to bend both wheels first.
Thanks for your help! I am goin to the shop where my truck is being worked on and check it out today. I'll let you know what I find out!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Is this shop a dealership? Is it a place you trust? Why is your truck in the shop in the first place?

Personally, I think they may be trying to screw you. Like everyone else, I haven't heard of anyone bending an axel with normal use.

Good Luck

Old 03-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Something sounds fishy with 2 bent axles.
I would pull one axle and look at the bearings then have it checked for runout.
Seems very unlikely that it came from towing but it is possible with excessive heat.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Something sounds fishy with 2 bent axles.
I would pull one axle and look at the bearings then have it checked for runout.
Seems very unlikely that it came from towing but it is possible with excessive heat.
Turns out that the passenger side rear axel was bent - I was sure to be there when the shop took it out and you could visually see it. The drivers side rear turned out having a bent rim but the axel and bearings were fine. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-19-2004, 02:46 PM

Do you have kids? If so do you let them drive your truck? Have you ever loaned the truck to anybody, people like to drive borrowed cars really hard for some reason.

-Sean
Old 05-19-2004, 03:02 PM

no kids but I have loaned it out twice. Once after a big snowfall here too. Hmmmm...... got me thinking now.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that's just bizzar! Can't believe you had bent axles. I agree, something's not right. I could never see towing causing this... but I've never broken one either, and believe me, I have hit some curbs and things PRETTY hard.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:24 PM

I have two bent axles in the rear too, and one badly out of round wheel. Fantastic stuff isn't it? Mine's from wheeling really hard though.

Chris
Old 05-19-2004, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by foxtrapper

Foxtrapper,

If someone got caught on some railroad tracks and broke one of those small leaf spring brackets that help hold the leafs together, would that bend an axle too?

My uncle broke the pass. side leaf spring bracket a couple years ago and had it welded back together. However, ever since that happened I've had an axle leak. I replaced all the axle seals/bearings after he sold it to me, but now I have a major leak on the passenger side again. I even cleaned out the breather fitting on top of the carrier housing thinking that might help stop the leak. Unfortunately, that didn't help any. It's still leaking all over my brake pad shoes inside the drum on the pass. side.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mikedog
If someone got caught on some railroad tracks and broke one of those small leaf spring brackets that help hold the leafs together, would that bend an axle too?
In this case, it's a 4Runner, so no leafs.

Funny you mention that though. When I drove a Mazda lowrider I got caught on some railroad tracks on the way home from High School. Just so happened that a police car with all the senior cheerleaders happen to stop and help. Ever had your truck lifted off railroad tracks by the school cheerleaders? I think I was out sick for the next week.

I did not bend an axle.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 05-19-2004 at 08:18 PM.