95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!

Hey guys,

I just just got this body lift of fleabay and I am wondering what some of this stuff is. I got the 2'' lift of ebay for around $50 bucks, but the problem is I dont know what a few of these things are. Here are some pictures, the first one is a pair of brackets (bumper?) and one odd shaped bracket(no clue).
Attached Thumbnails Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!-bl-brackets.jpg  
Old 11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

I dont have yet a clue to what these things are.
Attached Thumbnails Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!-bl-square.jpg  

Last edited by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun; 11-27-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Banned

the second pic are for bed spacers, they will prevent the bed from sagging with a load in it.... kinda hard to decipher, but they are sitting on the frame, just above the rear axle and under the bed, they are welded to the frame
Old 11-28-2004, 02:49 AM

This is a complete guess as I have no idea about the 92. In the first pic the big plate. Could it be something to do with the steering. I've read before about a plate that gets mounted to the fire wall for the steering shaft. I forget what year and models it was for though.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
Hey guys,

I just just got this body lift of fleabay and I am wondering what some of this stuff is. I got the 2'' lift of ebay for around $50 bucks, but the problem is I dont know what a few of these things are. Here are some pictures, the first one is a pair of brackets (bumper?) and one odd shaped bracket(no clue).
Steering angle adjustment is the odd shaped one and bumper lift brackets are the others.
jim
Old 11-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, I got one more question for you guys what are some of these things. The bolts circled in light blue seem to go together but one bolt is just a bit shorter than the other 3... I have no idea what the things are circled in dark blue are, they are like metal dowls. The Brackets circled in red have one open hole in one end and the other end has a bolt already connected to it. And finally the Green circled brackets just have 2 holes in them. Anyone know what this stuff is?
Attached Thumbnails Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!-bl-hardware.jpg  
Old 11-28-2004, 11:30 AM

The parts in the red are the radiator drop brackets, and the parts in the dark blue are shifter extensions (weld-in). Not sure about the others. Did you get any paperwork with it?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

no paper work, jsut a bunch of parts. Im pretty clear on almost everything, but how is the steering angle adjustment installed? Inside the firewall or out? Also where do I mount this steering extention? Inside the cab or near the end of the steering shaft?
Attached Thumbnails Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!-bl-steering-extension.jpg  

Last edited by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun; 11-28-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, Ive just got the body up on the block and 2 of the bolts are too long by about 1/2 longer than the other bolts that fit correctly. What the hell, anyone done a body lift and had this happen?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

pm 4crawler .. he makes the RB body lift which is the one most of us purchased, he might be able to help ya out. Also his website has ots of pics on how to install BLs
Old 11-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Ok, Ive just got the body up on the block and 2 of the bolts are too long by about 1/2 longer than the other bolts that fit correctly. What the hell, anyone done a body lift and had this happen?
Its likely a lift for a different generation truck. Bolt lengths vary with model years. One size lift kit will not perfectly fit all years of trucks. For the too-long bolts, either get shorter bolts at a local h/w store (I can also supply the right size bolts if needed) or stack up some washers on the bottom to take up the excess. And have a look at my body lift instattion notes pages...
Old 11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned

the way that that extension looks it will slide onto the steering shaft just before the rag joint
Old 11-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

I got new bolts, but now the problem is the stupid steering extention. I tried putting it by connecing it to the steering shaft and the open splined end would not fit over the spline on the power steering box. So then I tried to put it on up by the u joint under the dash but then I count get the shaft to fit into the open end of the extension. Its like 30 degrees out and pitch black so i decided to stop. Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

I got new bolts, but now the problem is the stupid steering extention. I tried putting it by connecing it to the steering shaft and the open splined end would not fit over the spline on the power steering box. So then I tried to put it on up by the u joint under the dash but then I count get the shaft to fit into the open end of the extension. Its like 30 degrees out and pitch black so i decided to stop. Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work?
You may or may not need it, but it goes into the splined clamp at the top of the shaft by the firewall:

More info.

Picture of the clamp:

A lot of folks have trouble with that style extension and they are not all the strong. I've supplied quite a few of my rag joint extensions to folks who either could not install that extension or whose broke in use:

Old 11-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Banned

part of that extension appears to be D shaped and not splined thus leading me to think it should mount near the ragjoint
Old 11-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

4crawler, how much do you want for one of those rag joint spacers?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

his most expensive one i beleive is $30 i have one of his in my truck eventhough i went with a PA lift becasue of the price
Old 11-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Tomorrow Im gonna try to shim it up with washers and see if i can get it to fit. All I have done so far is is the 6 cab mounts and its starting to look pretty good. Oh yeah, one more thing. After lifting the body it seems that when the shift boot is on the shifter has a hard time going into the lower gear set. When I took the boot off it seemed to shift just fine. Any clues? Also how do the 2 black boots underneath the main boot mount up?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

See my shifter boot tips on my installation page:

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/....shtml#Shifter
Old 11-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

its the retainer ring for the shift boot and the hole in the floor, its not big enough for the new throw of the shifter..... i had problems with my stock one when i went to drive after my bl..... so i got a carbide bit and enlarged the hole... i could have reused the stock boot with retainer ring had i done some modification to it, but i damaged it on removal and a new one from the factory was $50! i went to autozone and got a big one and used screws i had at the house....

Quick Reply: Body lift, what are all these parts?!?!