Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

body lift install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lift install

so just how hard is it to install a 1.5 inch body lift on a 2002 4runner? i heard it get's complicated because you have take out the interior carpet to get to the bolts?? sounds weird, any word on this? i'm thinking i'll just take it to a shop and get it installed, but don't know yet. thanks.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the body mounts should be around the periphery, so you just have to pop the trim and roll it back a little bit.

Why 1.5"?
Old 03-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
All the body mounts should be around the periphery, so you just have to pop the trim and roll it back a little bit.

Why 1.5"?
why not?
well it's because i really do only want a mild body lift, i already have a 2.5 inch suspension lift. and the higher go to the more problems you can run into, 1.5 just seemed like a good number. i guess with body lifts every inch or half inch makes a difference, so 1.5 works for me.

the place i just called to ask about the install said $550 to install :wtf:
Old 03-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

DIY man!

I put my body lift in two weeks ago and had the same thing. All of the body mounts should be close to the edge of the rig and so very little of the carpet has to be rolled back. I lifted mine on my own in about 5 hours. Thats $100 an hour plus tax!

Delboy
Old 03-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by delboy
DIY man!

I put my body lift in two weeks ago and had the same thing. All of the body mounts should be close to the edge of the rig and so very little of the carpet has to be rolled back. I lifted mine on my own in about 5 hours. Thats $100 an hour plus tax!

Delboy
so i'm guessing it's the similar for 3rd gens as 2nd? ha, the guy i talked to said all the seats had to be taken out i don't know about doing it myself tho, i don't have all the right tools. plus i haven't attempted anything beyond installing my own clear corners, so i don't want to go straight to a body lift quite yet.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:09 PM

if you can install clear corners you can install a BL. its jsut time consuming and tedious. all you need is a jack and o decent socket set. when i called around for install prices i was quoted from 400-550 also. just do it yourself, 1.5" and you barely have to change anything else.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

I was the same way 9 months ago when I installed my body lift on my 3rd gen. I didnt know ˟˟˟˟ about mechanics. I was all electronics. But its soooo simplistic. Loosen all bolts, jack up a side, remove old bolts, add lifft, drop side, repeat for other side. All you need is a couple of sockets, a highlift jack, and a 2x4. Im so glad i saved my money and did it myself. Took me about 6 hours, but mainly because I have an ARB and I didnt presoak my bolts the night before. And I also got a sweet highlift with all the money saved!

If you get your lift from Roger Brown (great guy!!), you get good detailed instructions. If you have any questions at all, you just call him up. I did at 1am and he was more than happy to help me out. He makes damn good stuff. If he makes it, its gonna last!

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...le/index.shtml

Seriously, do it yourself. You build confidence to do your future mods yourself. Its really easy. LOTS OF MONEY SAVED! You dont need to remove the seats. you just fold back the carpet a little and you can get to all the body mounts with ease.

Here is AdamF's writeup on a 1inch Roger Brown lift: http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...er/index.shtml
Old 03-29-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

alright, sounds like it's not so bad. what about the steering column extension? and i don't know if the radiator will need to be messed with or not.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Steering colum was the hardest part for me, but only because my buddies were spinning the wheel around and around after we disconnected it...just leave it alone and put the extension in...You probably have to mess around with it a little so that your steering isnt too tight. Anyway, Roger Brown includes it in his lift kit.

I left the radiator alone. It looks like you could easily move it up with a little bit of work. But it really wasnt much of a deal to me. Been running it for 6+ months now and havent moved it...2 inches off doesnt keep it from doing its job. It doesnt stick out or anything, its just a little off.

Go for it!! Chances are your 4x4 shop is just as clueless as you are. Not too many shops see 3rd gen 4Runners. Thus, they hike up the price because they have too look up the information on these forums Mine wanted to charge me $1100 in labor (they pretty much do just jeeps). That was because they had no clue how long it would really take. 3rd gen 4Runners arent seen at all in 4x4 shops. They usually know sqaut about them...thus all the "custom" bumpers and parts that have to be made for us...
Old 03-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

ohh...you do have to remove the bottom shroud of the radiator fan. I left it off, but with a bit of work, you could extend it.