Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Block heater question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block heater question?

I've decided the boat I purchased this year needs to stay in the garage for the winter and the Runner is going to stay outside. I did a seach and came up with very little info on block heaters. Has anbody added an aftermarket block heater to a 3rd Gen? I had one on a service vehicle of mine, "non diesel" and it was really nice to be able to jump in and instantly have heat. Not to mention I'm sure the motor doesn't mind the warmth either. I was just wondering if anybody has done this and if so, have a part number or an idea of what to use? Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

I would'nt go aftermarket on one of these... Toyota makes a very good and powerful one and sells it at a very good price with a warrenty and everything... the install is simple you remove one of the frost plugs and replace it with the heater but it's best to let a pro do this I think because you need to drain the coolant and disposing of the used stuff is a hazmat PITA.
Hope this helped aviator
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM

I too am interested in this mod, can one of these just be picked up at a Toyota dealer...?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1
I've decided the boat I purchased this year needs to stay in the garage for the winter and the Runner is going to stay outside. I did a seach and came up with very little info on block heaters. Has anbody added an aftermarket block heater to a 3rd Gen? I had one on a service vehicle of mine, "non diesel" and it was really nice to be able to jump in and instantly have heat. Not to mention I'm sure the motor doesn't mind the warmth either. I was just wondering if anybody has done this and if so, have a part number or an idea of what to use? Thanks
When I lived in the subarctic, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, I wouldn't bother with plugging in the block heater unless it was < -20 C, if you're plugging it in when it's warmer than that you're just wasting power. That said, if I were running Dino that wouldn't have been my approach. Mobil1 made those cold starts a breeze; truck would still crank at -45 C.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 AM

I'm going to check into this. Thanks! And by the way Mudferret, this is the second day in a row I've heard something about Yellowknife? I saw this on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by frodin1
I'm going to check into this. Thanks! And by the way Mudferret, this is the second day in a row I've heard something about Yellowknife? I saw this on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem
Haha, cool link. That is the same area where I offroaded for the first time; a big sand "bowl" surrounded by outcrops. Small area, but fun.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 PM

I just bought a Toyota engine block heater, and installed it myself. Ten years ago, it was about $15.00 for the heater. It installs in the rearmost freeze plug position on the left (Drivers side) of the block. I should add that this applies to the 5VZFE.

I don't have the part number anymore, but any Toyota dealer should be able to order it.

Last edited by 02SE; 10-20-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Synthetinc oil make block heaters obsolete

Originally Posted by mu[U
[/U]dferret;50644077]When I lived in the subarctic, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, I wouldn't bother with plugging in the block heater unless it was < -20 C, if you're plugging it in when it's warmer than that you're just wasting power. That said, if I were running Dino that wouldn't have been my approach. Mobil1 made those cold starts a breeze; truck would still crank at -45 C.

X100...Mud ferrat, "you had me with hello"

Synthetinc oil does make block heaters 100% obsolete now. Here is the deal your car will "turn over" very quick with SYN OIL and maybe NOT AT ALL WITH CONVENTIONAL OIL in those temps. You can get stuck some where If you choose to run dino Juice in sub zero temperatures.

Block heaters are a good concept YET it truely is not needed (with SYN).
I don't want to sound like a "arrogant oil snob".... yet seriously, it becomes a safety issue for you and your family and NO ONE has any business running dino juice in sub zero temps....
of coarse, Unless you think severe engine wear is a good thing (untill the conventional oil warms up). Or you have a death wish or really love severe frost bite. food for thought

FRODIN, if you run Syn you are good to go.

"Friends don't let friends buy cheap oil"

Last edited by icerunner; 10-20-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Synthetic oil definitely makes a huge difference on ease of starting but the block heater also insures that you have awarm defrost air available almost immediately which means you are not stuck i the driveway idleing for 5-10 mins waiting for the windows to un fog [really bad for the environment] or else getting a draft on you neck trying to drive with the window open so it does'nt fog up as much...
another trick you can use is to try to park with the front of your car aginst a building/garage door/solid fence or even a snow pile/ if you stop the wind blowing through the radiator you will hold the heat in the engine longer [several hours] making it easier to start when you can't plug in...
Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Using a block heater in cold temps., also means an easier time for the battery when trying to crank the engine over. Additionally, it can improve fuel economy, because the engine is much closer to fully warmed-up. So it spends less time running with the richer fuel/air ratio necessary when the engine is cold.

It also means fewer emissions, because the Catalytic Converter will reach operating temp. sooner.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icerunner
Here is the deal your car will "turn over" very quick with SYN OIL and maybe NOT AT ALL WITH CONVENTIONAL OIL in those temps.

That's a little bit of an exaggeration. I've run 5W-30 dino oil in winter up here in -40 C temps (BTW -40 is where degrees C = degrees F) and still had it crank over just fine (it takes a little longer to catch at those temps, but it will still fire up just fine). That being said and with all the other benefits that come from running synthetic oil (both summer and winter), I have since switched to running synthetic instead, year round.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Any word yet on whether these block heaters are still an option?

I'm hoping the 3.4L's would work on the 2.7L...if not it sounds like I should just go to syn. oil. Although, I'm a little reserved about this since my truck has 138000, I'd hate to have a leak show up now....
Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrillah
Any word yet on whether these block heaters are still an option?

I'm hoping the 3.4L's would work on the 2.7L...if not it sounds like I should just go to syn. oil. Although, I'm a little reserved about this since my truck has 138000, I'd hate to have a leak show up now....
I went 140k with dino oil and switched.....don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
That's a little bit of an exaggeration. I've run 5W-30 dino oil in winter up here in -40 C temps (BTW -40 is where degrees C = degrees F) and still had it crank over just fine (it takes a little longer to catch at those temps, but it will still fire up just fine). That being said and with all the other benefits that come from running synthetic oil (both summer and winter), I have since switched to running synthetic instead, year round.
Yea, your right I was being a little off the wall and exagerating with that reply....Yet, one should keep in mind that reason why 90% of ALL engine wear occurs at startup can be attributed to poor oil flow at startup especially during cold winter starts....Just thinking "out loud" and I didn't mean to offend any body who runs dino juice.
BTW: When I was younger i was stuck/stranded in a chicago winter running penzoil 10W-30 in my 86' Camero. COLD AS HELL!
Never again, "M1 syn" all the way.

Last edited by icerunner; 10-26-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 AM

When you install the block heater, don't overtighten it or the little clamp deal may break off during heating and cooling cycles in the future, and blow out all your coolant.

Ask me how I know.....