Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blinking O/D light, vehicle barely/won't go!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blinking O/D light, vehicle barely/won't go!!!

My friend's '92 V6 4Runner is now giving a blinking overdrive light, when she pulls out into traffic it nearly gets her killed b/c the vehicle barely moves or nearly won't at all.

What's wrong with this thing, it's about to get her killed!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
So stop driving it!

That would be the obvious thing you need to do first before she does get killed or causes an accident. A malfunctioning vehicle or one that is not capable of going the minumum speed limit in traffic could result in her getting a ticket or be at fault should she be in an accident.

You might try taking the vehicle to the Toyota stealership or a reputable mechanic as I imagine that there is something more than just something superficially wrong.

Be careful out there!

Brian
Old 08-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

If it won't hardly accelerate, then why is she driving it?
I hope she doesn't hurt someone.

Check the fluid. Then take it to the shop.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Nam

Sounds like

a serious problem with the transmission. I am not sure if the O/D light can give you a code for what goes wrong with the tranny...it's best to leave for a professional mechanic.

Good luck,

Nam
Old 08-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O/D light can be jumpered to show blinking codes, just like the check engine light can. She needs to get the vehicle to a dealer (preferably by having it towed). Driving it as is presents a danger to her, others on the road and the tranny.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:50 PM

It does this occasionally, when the vehicle is reasonably warm i.e. leaving for lunch during ~99 degree weather but won't do it when the vehicle is cold in the morning. The vehicle will have issues getting going but eventually will get up to speed. Next time vehicle might take off alright. I haven't seen the blinking O/D light to get any codes off it.

Thanks for the help, it will be going into the shop right away and she can take my ZJ that gets up the road reliably.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rreed
she can take my ZJ that gets up the road reliably.

Well I guess there's a first for everything.....

Just kidding. Keep us posted on what the problem is!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:43 PM

A checkup call to trans. guy says he can't find anything wrong, by driving or hooking up computer to truck, other than a blinking O/D light. He is to check it again and call back later.

When mentioning a possible clogged filter (via almost never trans. service) he says you're not supposed to remove the filter and it should not be an issue.

Is he full of crap?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:56 PM

He's Not Full of Crap

There is a 'strainer' in the auto transmission of a '92 V6 Runner. When the trans is drained through the drain plug it back-flushes the strainer cleaning it out. The trans guy is correct. However, these transmissions do need fluid changes/service.

It sounds like the shift solenoids are going out or a speed sensor is sending a faulty signal to the ECM. Mine has had both of these occur and each of these caused the Runner to start out in a higher gear. The speed sensor caused the auto trans to start out in 3rd Gear....it acted like it had no power. It would do this sporadically and eventually burned out the 3rd gear clutches in the trans. Here recently, the solenoids caused the truck to sometimes start out in 2nd gear....again no power. After several weeks in the shop, the problem finally showed itself to the mechanic and I just got it back fixed.

Mention these things to the trans guy.....you'll want to get it fixed now while it is still a cheap fix or later you will be needing an expensive trans rebuild (about $1600).

David
Old 08-27-2003, 05:00 PM

This is caused by the #1 shift solenoid malfunctioning. I just replaced mine. If you pull the code it will most likely be a code 62. This is a very easy fix. Drain the trans pan, undo the filter(careful of the fluid in the filter and the shower that ensues when undoing the last bolt) change out the #1 solenoid, put everything back and fill er up with fluid. The solenoid is the most expensive part of the whole job. You can bypass the solenoid by manual shifting from 1 on up, but I wouldn't do it longer than it takes to get to toyota to get the part. If you need any more help let me know.

Steve
Old 08-28-2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Babypig
This is caused by the #1 shift solenoid malfunctioning. I just replaced mine. If you pull the code it will most likely be a code 62. This is a very easy fix. Drain the trans pan, undo the filter(careful of the fluid in the filter and the shower that ensues when undoing the last bolt) change out the #1 solenoid, put everything back and fill er up with fluid. The solenoid is the most expensive part of the whole job. You can bypass the solenoid by manual shifting from 1 on up, but I wouldn't do it longer than it takes to get to toyota to get the part. If you need any more help let me know.

Steve
Bingo. And the other guy who said the truck was starting out in third. I took the rig for a ride myself this morning and the first few takeoffs it would BARELY go up the road, no matter where the pedal was. Taking trans. shop dude's advice to pull it down into first and manually shift through the gears it chirped the tires as soon as I pulled it into first and took off like a shot (for as much as this weak vehicle can). Shifted normally throughout the gears. Had to do that all the way to my house (across town).

I will be taking it very easy to get it back to her house, grab my CJ, inform her and trans. shop dude, and will likely have them replace said solenoid. I cannot stand working on this rig as it is, let alone blindly tearing into the auto trans.

Thanks everyone for their gracious help so far, I will be posting any updates. You Toyota folk aren't so bad!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:23 PM

How do you pull the (transmission) codes? Trans. guy said there's a seperate computer for the trans. in these Toyotas.

I'd like to find out for sure which one it is before we start throwing parts at this thing for $200 a wack.

And thanks once again, you guys are tops.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:52 PM

Hey guys/gals I want to change the fluid in my 91 4r. So let me get this right. There is no trans filter to change? That is cool, I was worried I would have to pull the pan and worry about leaks on the reassemble. By the way how many quarts go back in? Just reg. ATF?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:37 PM

my 88 4runr does same thing with blinking light but only once and a while hesitates when shifting. is my silinoid going out???? olso have 31" pro comp mud terrains on it, i have no power in acceleration. what gears do you recomend for rear axle?? and what manufacterer is good??? by the way does anyone know how to change out spedometer cable????? thanks for any help
Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 PM

my 92 did this ˟˟˟˟ when the rear abs sensor went out.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:48 PM

mine used to do this once in awhile, when I bought it , a little over a year ago. I would almost have to floor it to get it to move. I thought the tranny was gone.I took it to the Toyota dealer and they informed me about the head gasket recall. So I had them do the head-gasket work and service the tranny.They power flushed the tranny and it works like new. They have to of adjusted the kick down cable when they re-installed the engine. Which was probably my problem because they never did open the tranny to replace the solenoids.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper95688
my 88 4runr does same thing with blinking light but only once and a while hesitates when shifting. is my silinoid going out???? olso have 31" pro comp mud terrains on it, i have no power in acceleration. what gears do you recomend for rear axle?? and what manufacterer is good??? by the way does anyone know how to change out spedometer cable????? thanks for any help
Take a look at this document, read page 15 .....you can see that Babypig is dead nuts on with his dignosis earlier.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

When the #1 shift solenoid goes out you are forced to start in 3rd but you can manually force the tranny to do what you want by using the shifter to go through the gears. I would be money that this is the solenoid you need to replace. It is still good to have the codes pulled to verify this as well.

Powerflushing may help free a stuck or sticky solenoid so that might be a good thing to do anyway.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-04-2005 at 04:59 AM.