Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blew My Cv 2 Tim Buck 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blew My Cv 2 Tim Buck 2

Like the title Says I snapped my drivers side CV this weekend 4Wheeling in a place called Ardbeg (Pics comming soon I Promise)

When I drive around now I can hear it flopping and banging and rattling around. (Not a happy sound)

My Question. Can I just remove the broken one ? Or should I pull both of them ? I dont know how long it will be before I get a chance to replace these ? As Id rather spend the money on a body lift first.

If I do pull the CV Shaft will all the fluid poor out the front diff ??? can I drive around with 1 or no CV's

Last edited by 4Hummer; 08-31-2004 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone else who know's 2nd gens bette than me better chime in. As far as I know, if you pull your CV, yes, diff oil will come pouring out (which isn't the case on the 3rd gens). Yes, you can just remove/replace the broken one. Do you have manual hubs? I wouldn't drive around much like it is. I'm wondering whether the axle shaft could get pushed too far into the diff with all that banging around and screw up your ring and pinion? Good luck, maybe someone else with more info can speak up.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

This was the subject of a very heated debate on TTORA for a long time, until some folks tried it.

At the diff end, you will dribble oil, but the seal will retain most of it, however;

If you have manual hubs, you can drive around without an axle shaft, for a short while. If you have ADD, DO NOT drive around without an axle shaft. Your bearings will come apart at the seams.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Someone else who know's 2nd gens bette than me better chime in. As far as I know, if you pull your CV, yes, diff oil will come pouring out (which isn't the case on the 3rd gens). Yes, you can just remove/replace the broken one. Do you have manual hubs? I wouldn't drive around much like it is. I'm wondering whether the axle shaft could get pushed too far into the diff with all that banging around and screw up your ring and pinion? Good luck, maybe someone else with more info can speak up.
I have ADD no manual hubs.

Its there a way I can remove the CV's and plug the hole in the diff ?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 AM

Pull the CV. You will have no problems on your 2nd gen Runner. You won't be pulling anything out of the diff like 3rd gens and Tacos.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:53 AM

Will all the Diff fluid not poor out ? if yes Is there a way to seal it up ?

And should I pull both of them or just the snapped one ??
Old 08-31-2004, 12:43 PM

BUMP
BUMP
BUMP

Gonna remove the Shaft tonight. need answers
Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ErikB
You won't be pulling anything out of the diff
...so NO it won't leak.

No need to pull the one on the other side if its not broken.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2nd gens and the 3rd gens/tacos are completely different. Your second gen's CVs just bolt on, whereas the 3rd gens slid into the diff housing. Nothing will leak, the CV axle have nothing to do with the diff or housing.

Like erik said, just remove the broken side.

Cebby has some pictures of the CVs sans diff in the off road section. I saw that somebody on 4x4wire was selling their CVs for $20 each.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

To clarify, at least on the 3rd gen 4runners with ADD, the CV's are just bolt on as well- the shaft does not extend into the diff housing. The tripod joint slips into its own housing that is sealed off from the diff. I swear I'd read someplace about diff oil coming out when pulling the CV on a 2nd gen, so its my bad that I even mentioned it in my first post.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

To clarify, at least on the 3rd gen 4runners with ADD, the CV's are just bolt on as well- the shaft does not extend into the diff housing. The tripod joint slips into its own housing that is sealed off from the diff. I swear I'd read someplace about diff oil coming out when pulling the CV on a 2nd gen, so its my bad that I even mentioned it in my first post.
I pulled the driver's side shaft from my 3rd gen 4Runner which does extend into the diff housing, and lost some of the diff fluid. I'm guessing about 1/2 quart. I'm pretty sure the passenger side will not do this since it does not go go into the housing. That may or may not apply to the 2nd gen 4Runners too. So basically I've provided no useful information

Good luck
Old 08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

I just pulled my cv's off of my diff for a gear change today and i'm with Erik and Robinhood. They just bolt on, no leaking. I say just get one for now and when you get your body lift, start thinking about the other one.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Tstango, how weird! It sounds like there's a difference between years for the 3rd gens. On my 98, neither CV extended into the diff.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:39 PM

1st Gen and 2nd Gen IFS (don't know about 3rd Gen) CV's can be pulled with no adverse effects. Here's a pic from my other thread of where the CV connects to the stub shaft.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:44 PM

Thanks Guys.. I'll pull it tommorrow or the day after. Dont have time tonight...

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Tstango, how weird! It sounds like there's a difference between years for the 3rd gens. On my 98, neither CV extended into the diff.
Man you guys are sooo confusing and overanalytical haha Heres how it works:

95 and Earlier 4runners have BOLT on CV axles. You can remove the CV shaft from the stub axle, and the stub axle will stay in the diff, effectivley disallowing fluid to come out.

96 and LATER 4runners used a splined CV axle shaft with a c-clip on the axle to keep in in the diff. ALL IFS diffs used an extension housing to run a shaft from the actual diff, to where the CV halfshafts mount. The two generations of diffs have the extension housing on different sides. If you take a cv axle out of a 3rd gen runner, it will leak. Your second gen runner will not.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:42 PM

Not entirely true. On a 3rd Gen 4R / Taco You can pull off the busted outer with the shaft, tripod joint and inner boot and leave the tulip plugged into the diff. But, if you pop out the tulip, you will loose fluid from the diff as you say. I had a bad snap ring and the tulip would float out a bit to where the seal didn't contact and the fluid came pouring out.

A second Gen torsion bar has nice intermediate flanges (Cebby's pic) that make it easier. In other words, piece of cake.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by LarsDennert
A second Gen torsion bar has nice intermediate flanges (Cebby's pic) that make it easier. In other words, piece of cake.
Something to note... In the pic, my studs have been removed from the stub shafts. If you have the gumption, drive the studs out and either grind the holes so the splines don't catch, or grind the splines off the studs so you can remove them like bolts. This allows you to remove/replace them without much work. 6 bolts at the stub and the bolt on the end of the CV (really easy if you have manual hubs - just remove the dial to get to it) and you can pull it out. With your ADD plates, you need to pull the plates (PIA due to cone washers)
Old 08-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LarsDennert
Not entirely true. On a 3rd Gen 4R / Taco You can pull off the busted outer with the shaft, tripod joint and inner boot and leave the tulip plugged into the diff. But, if you pop out the tulip, you will loose fluid from the diff as you say. I had a bad snap ring and the tulip would float out a bit to where the seal didn't contact and the fluid came pouring out.

I realize you can do that, but i was refering to a complete CV shaft without taking the boot off the tulip. When you do that, you make a nice CV grease mess haha
Old 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM

That's for sure. Not that a busted shafted hasn't already made a mess of the day huh?

Quick Reply: Blew My Cv 2 Tim Buck 2