Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which bed liner should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which bed liner should I choose?

Hello, everyone, need advice on which bed liner I need. Should I choose the traditional liner or the new spray- on liner? Toyo dealer advise me to install the traditional liner with the reason that the spray- on liner is messy and may cause cosmatic imperfection if installed by an inexperienced person. In addition, over time, the spray on liner will fade to a lighter color. My best friend thinks the spray- on liner is the best thing since slice bread- he loves his for the last 5 years. What are some of the pros and cons of each, and is there and particular brand or company's product that excells above the rest?

Thank you.

I will post some pictures as soon as my truck is complete.

2003 Tacoma DC w/ Impluse Red, color keyed, TRD, S/C, TRD headers, white TRD boost gauge, TRD ATM cooler, Boss 301 with Eagle 275/45/20
Old 08-26-2003, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rhino liners are the best by far, but comes at a price. They are expensive!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:40 AM

Color matched PermaTech http://216.28.21.48/Public/Bedliner/...er/index.shtml They do have trouble matching the lighter colors, mine ended up more of a gray than lunar mist. But beats the heck out of black!
Old 08-27-2003, 04:06 AM

Speedliner...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=speedliner
Old 08-27-2003, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

When I had my 94 Ranger, it came with a plastic bedliner. I never liked it. It was slippery when it got wet, and the cargo would slide all over the place.

I sold the plastic bedliner and had the Rhino Linings sprayed in. Wow what a difference!! Nothing slid around and it was very durable.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

i don't even have a pick up, but i hear pretty often the spray in is better. the drop in can get slippery, water can get underneath it and mess with the bed body....

bud here on the forum had line-x in his old taco, that was pretty nice. seemed to offer a real good grip, and it looked good too. i'm sure rhino liner is just as good.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the spray on. More durable, easier to repair, nothing can get underneath it. They are heavier and more expensive, though. Also, any bedliner is going to fade to some extent. That's just the way plastics are.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:18 AM

Talking to the RhinoLiner Guy the only real thing different about rhino and line X is the install hey said line x is sprayed on with 2000 psi and it lets more air get trapped in the material. if you ever go and look at the line x sample it is got a hard surface and it is not to plyable(like plastic) and the rhino is more flexable(like rubber). he says that during off road use that articulation and the stress on the bed can make a line x liner crack he showed me some pictures and he had the actual peice that came out of the truck and it was no lie. the peice matched the picture and the picture had the Line X logo sprayed in the wall. i think i am going with Rhino but remember this make sure you get it done by an experienced installer, if they mess up you are screwed unless you want to grind it off or use the rhino installers method or removing one " throw a gernade in the bed and hope it gets most of it off" so it is a permanent thing so chose wisely.
:pat:
Old 08-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BIGMOOI
Talking to the RhinoLiner Guy the only real thing different about rhino and line X is the install hey said line x is sprayed on with 2000 psi and it lets more air get trapped in the material.
That's not entirely correct. I worked there (Rhino) for almost 2 years.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:41 AM

I disagree, I've trashed my truck more than most anybody out there. LineX is the best thing out there by far. Rhino isn't that tough and doesn't have as nice of an appearance (not as smooth).
-Chris

Originally posted by BIGMOOI
Talking to the RhinoLiner Guy the only real thing different about rhino and line X is the install hey said line x is sprayed on with 2000 psi and it lets more air get trapped in the material. if you ever go and look at the line x sample it is got a hard surface and it is not to plyable(like plastic) and the rhino is more flexable(like rubber). he says that during off road use that articulation and the stress on the bed can make a line x liner crack he showed me some pictures and he had the actual peice that came out of the truck and it was no lie. the peice matched the picture and the picture had the Line X logo sprayed in the wall. i think i am going with Rhino but remember this make sure you get it done by an experienced installer, if they mess up you are screwed unless you want to grind it off or use the rhino installers method or removing one " throw a gernade in the bed and hope it gets most of it off" so it is a permanent thing so chose wisely.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:03 AM

please correct me. i would like to know what else that i didnt know or i should know.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pismoboy24
I disagree, I've trashed my truck more than most anybody out there. LineX is the best thing out there by far. Rhino isn't that tough and doesn't have as nice of an appearance (not as smooth).
-Chris
I am not going to get into a chemical composition debate with you, but Line-X is not "the best by far."

Rhino is much more flexible than Line-X due to the spray ratio of "Tuff Stuff" and Diisocyanate. Rhino's texture can be adjusted via final spray, not all are "smooth." I have ripped at least 5 Line-X liners out of the back of trucks to replace them with Rhino. The Line-X liners that were removed were thin and crispy.

You are going to get a certain level of variance from dealer to dealer - as with anything. It's always good to know that every Rhino dealer was trained at the head office in San Diego. Oh, and Rhino was the originator of the sprayed in Liner. Thought I might add that on there...[/end rant]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:09 AM

Yes Rhino is more flexable, but I'm disagreeing w/ your statement that LineX would crack under heavy offroading which does not occur. My bed is still 100% perfect.

Before I choose LineX, I went to various places such as Rhino, Speedliner, and LineX. LineX was the best looking and best for my use.

I suggest everyone to go check them all out and go w/ what they're comfortable w/.
-Chris
Old 08-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pismoboy24
Yes Rhino is more flexable, but I'm disagreeing w/ your statement that LineX would crack under heavy offroading which does not occur. My bed is still 100% perfect.
When did I say that?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:44 AM

Sorry, BigMooi said that.
-Chris
Old 08-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

We should combine this thread with the K&N vs. Amsoil threads.

Well, when I worked at Rhino 5 years ago, Line-X was #2. That isn't a bad rating and many people, including yourself, have been very happy with their liner. Things may have changed. They could be better now. I personally liked the texture of Line-X much more than Rhino's texture. Like I said, that can be adjusted.

Anyway, it comes down to preference and service.

Old 08-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

A bit off topic, Christian, isn't there a fluid you can use to keep the finish of Rhinolining more durable?

Color is fading yes but the overall lining is still good.

I'm kind of disappointed in that dealer though... I think nearly everyone will tell you that a spray on is much better than a drop in if you're looking at a permanent fix.

Messy if you're looking at a DIY job. Cosmetic imperfection? I couldn't tell you about that... I'd assume that would be a part of training - I haven't had any problems.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
A bit off topic, Christian, isn't there a fluid you can use to keep the finish of Rhinolining more durable?

Peter-

We sold a product that shined up the liner, yet maintained the grip. I cant remember the name. Try contacting the head office in San Diego (but I know that's a long distance call for you )

A scrub brush and normal car wash soap should do the trick in between "treatments."

Let me know.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Coool, thanks!

*hey, did you get those sliders yet???*