Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bay Area - Need help fabbing custom bracket for BMK-13

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bay Area - Need help fabbing custom bracket for BMK-13

Anyone in the bay area with metal working tools that could help me both modify(bend) the existing upper mounting bracket for my Amsoil BMK-13 Bypass filter kit, and fab a replacement lower bracket? I lack the necessary tools(vise, torch, grinder) but posess the will. I'll buy the beer, do all the work, and pay for the acetelyne, cutting blades, drill bits, etc.........pretty please?

I went to a fab shop and they want between $85 and $100 to do it!!!!!

The upper bracket is bent at a 90deg angle and I need 155deg. Once the bend is made in the upper, the lower won't line up so I need to make a new one.

Here's a pic: The upper pic is the original and the bottom one is Photochopped to show what I'm looking for.

Last edited by Birdman; 03-29-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bird,

Just a guess but wouldn't something like what you're looking for available at a hardware store? I would think that finding something w/ 90 degree bends would be easier to find. A hacksaw and something to round off the rough edges from cutting would probably be the only tools you need. And maybe a drill w/ HSS drill bits.

Bob
Old 03-29-2004, 09:42 PM

I'm not sure you understood my original post. My fault perhaps. The original is the one with the 90deg bend. I need to modify it to 155deg. Once I bend the top bracket, the bottom will be too short and the bolt holes won't match up so I need to fab a replacement. The problem is that I don't have a vise, or a means to cut a new replacement bottom bracket from steel stock. I'm a renter so I have few options as far as workspace goes. i was actually thinking about purchasing a hitch mounted vise if this plea goes unanswered.

The angle bracket material is 3" wide, with the long side at 4.5" and the short at 2.5".

Here's abetter pic:

Last edited by Birdman; 03-29-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, my name is Bob. I can't read!

Ah, now i get it. That piece o' metal might not be easily found at your local hardware store. Hee hee....

How about asking Schaef? That is unless he will NOT make you one. (sorry schaef, had to get that in there)

Bob
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 PM

Actually I'd kind of like to do it myself. I enjoy working with my hands and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I just know what I want and don't think it's worth paying somebody $100 to do it. I'd rather spend the money on beer and hang out with some fellow Toyota fans.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$100?! geez, you'd think you'd need a phd to bend metal at that price.

The larger piece looks easy enough to just pound into submission with a hammer and a concrete sidewalk. The smaller one could be a little more tricky. You might want to go get a small piece of metal from the hardware store and make a new one. You can cut it with a dremel, hacksaw, or sawzall (yes it will take a while, but such is the life of us apt dwellers) and bend it with hammer and sidewalk. A vise will make life easier though.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birdman - where are you mounting the BMK? I have one sitting in the garage, but haven't mounted it up. I was thinking of mounting it to the frame, under the drivers seat area, but still a little scary there (that's where people have mounted it before). What are you going for?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Fab work

As I work at a fabrication shop, I'd like to say that you are paying for numerous things when quoted a price to do a job. First of all, you get the labor cost at the maximum time, material cost, tool cost, equipment upkeep cost, etc. Around here we get $45 an hour and there are no such thing as quarter time. An hour and 15 minutes is (2) hours of labor. I imagine the shop you went to quoted you a high price as otherwise it isn't worth their time to mess with it if they don't make a hefty profit. The best bet is to make a friend of someone who has the tools you wish you had so they'll let you use them. That's what I do. IT IS AMAZING what buying a few lunches and a few beers can do for your shop time costs!

I am very thankful I have access to all kinds of fab toys (tools) and have friends who know how to use them all!