Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bay Area Mechanics? Starter Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay Area Mechanics? Starter Rebuild

Hey guys, I need to get my starter pulled so I can replace the Contacts/brushes in my starter. I was wondering if there is anyone here in the bay area who could pull this out for me and take care of this. I am just afraid that the Dealer would charge an arm and a leg for this type of work. I live on the peninsula, in the Palo Alto area. Or if someone could help me out I will provide Beer and Pizza.

Thanks

Joe
Old 04-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

I took on that job about 6 months ago on my '94. I am not too mechanically gifted but I have a degree (ha ha) so I figured how hard could it be??They're some great write ups out there on how to do it. Do a search and don't be afraid of scrapping some knuckles. It's pretty tight in there. Took me about 3 hours. You'll need a 20 inch rachett extension a swivel joint(really helps)and patience. Follow the write-ups, If I could do it, you can--believe me....
Old 04-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Hey guys, I need to get my starter pulled so I can replace the Contacts/brushes in my starter. I was wondering if there is anyone here in the bay area who could pull this out for me and take care of this. I am just afraid that the Dealer would charge an arm and a leg for this type of work. I live on the peninsula, in the Palo Alto area. Or if someone could help me out I will provide Beer and Pizza.

Thanks

Joe
I would like to help if possible. I've no experience with starters but I've done a power steering pump and an alternator and belts on an 82 inline 6 cressida
Old 04-08-2004, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the offers guys... But last night while I was in San Francisco, my starter decided to start and not stop. It just decided to not retract. So I had to get my car towed and have a shop replace the starter ($290) OUch....but luckily the guys were still at the shop at 11:30 at night and got it all done by this morning.

I should have got it repaired sooner.

Joe
Old 04-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Joec500
Thanks for the offers guys... But last night while I was in San Francisco, my starter decided to start and not stop. It just decided to not retract. So I had to get my car towed and have a shop replace the starter ($290) OUch....but luckily the guys were still at the shop at 11:30 at night and got it all done by this morning.

I should have got it repaired sooner.
It is an easy repair. Only hard part is figuring out how to get to the nuts/bolts and to remove the starter from its location. Not technically hard, though, no special tools required and it only costs $10 for the replacement parts...
Old 04-12-2004, 09:41 AM

Thanks Guys for all the responses, but unfortunately Two days before I was going to get my Starter worked on I ran into some starter Issues. The starter, started the engine, but would not disengage so it was continually running. So I could not even drive, so I was stranded in Downtown San Francisco at 11:00PM. Had to get a tow, but luckily the shop owner was still in the shop, so he was able to get me going by 10AM the next morning at a cost of about $290. Which is not too bad for labor and a rebuilt starter.

Lesson learned. the moment you hear those clicks and no Vroooom, rebuild that starter.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM

I had same problem on my 87 pickup and easily replaced the starter, but it won't disengage now, so possible some other problem which caused the first starter to fry is doing the same with this one.