Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Back From My Land Rover Affair With A Few Questions About My New 4runner

Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back From My Land Rover Affair With A Few Questions About My New 4runner

Like a moron I sold my last 4runner because I wanted to try something else. Well that affair lasted a solid 30 days before realizing I wanted my old girl back. So I found this 4runner for 1700 bucks. She wouldn't stay cranked due to an alternator which I replaced in the former owners drive way. She has 250,000 on her but you can tell she's one owner and always been on synthetics. No nocks, ticks or lifters tapping. I feel a slight jut sometimes when taking from or coming to a stop so the rear end might need work but not urgent. I had a few questions about cosmetics however. Obviously the paint needs attention. But here are my questions?

1. Why is my dash 3 diff colors, could this be sun fade?
2. How hard is it to get this wood grain garbage off?
3. Carpets stink and are pretty bad, options? How hard is it to remove the center console and reinstall a fresh one?
4. On my old sport the rear window control and ecu were on the dash and cup holders were on the floor. This design sucks, how hard is it to swap em out if I can source a new center console?
5. Seats, driver side looks ate up, are these factory leather? I have the original sale receipt and he payed extra for leather but these are two tone? Should I have these repaired or just source and swap?
6. I can tell it could benefit from shocks and at least 3" of lift before using her at my land daily. Whats the best riding daily use lift for these trucks. I don't need max articulation or any of that. Road manners of the lift will be more important.

Thank you for your time

Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Center console is pretty easy to remove. (Based on my 96 SR5, which has different a/c controls...so I'm not 100% on yours...) For the dash remove the faceplate of the a/c heat controls and look for screws. There were a few electrical plugs to undo and a screw at the ashtray. For between the seats look for screws inside the box and on the sides. I've seen a number of cupholder mod threads, though I haven't done it myself.

My carpet stinks when it's been raining a lot because there is a leak at the windshield and water comes in at the wiring grommet by my clutch pedal. That's where I need to fix mine. What is your stink?

Street manners were important to me so I went with a Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift. Between how well it rides and dealing with Steve at Sonoran I am very very pleased.

Last edited by habanero; 06-12-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacumja
1. Why is my dash 3 diff colors, could this be sun fade?
2. How hard is it to get this wood grain garbage off?
3. Carpets stink and are pretty bad, options? How hard is it to remove the center console and reinstall a fresh one?
4. On my old sport the rear window control and ecu were on the dash and cup holders were on the floor. This design sucks, how hard is it to swap em out if I can source a new center console?
5. Seats, driver side looks ate up, are these factory leather? I have the original sale receipt and he payed extra for leather but these are two tone? Should I have these repaired or just source and swap?
6. I can tell it could benefit from shocks and at least 3" of lift before using her at my land daily. Whats the best riding daily use lift for these trucks. I don't need max articulation or any of that. Road manners of the lift will be more important.

Thank you for your time
]
1. The tan interiors definitely use multiple shades of tan to brown, but I don't think they should different colors where you are showing. My whole upper dash section is 1 shade of brown.

2. Just do the center console swap and swap it with a non-wood grain one.

3. Search over on T4R.org, there are a couple guys that have gotten a new carpet

4. Search the center console swap threads. You can definitely source the console you want, it just night take some time to find one in a part out of a salvage yard.

5. I don't think factory seats were 2-tone. A guy over of T4r.org posted about a good leather replacement he found on e-bay. Sourcing a new one could be cheaper, but I think can be pretty hit or miss as far as availability.

6. Tons of info here on 3 in lifts. Also tons on T4R.org.