Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Axle Seal Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Axle Seal Disaster

My '99 Runner just cleared 204k and it has a big recurring problem with my right-rear inner axle seal...

I need someone who knows anything about this to post up - put up with this story for 5 minutes. Please...

At this point it seems as if I should just sell the damn thing but I love the thing and hate to... I've poured my blood, sweat, and tears into this truck and it'll be a sad day if I do have to sell it.

So that said... My right-rear inner axle seal is leaking AGAIN. This has been a big problem since I bought the truck with 135k back in '10. We got the vehicle inspected before I purchased it and it came up clean w/a clean CarFax (which I found out means NOTHING). Upon further investigation (recently), a Sheriff's Office document in Charlotte, NC indicated that it had been involved in an accident and sent to auction. Further details are unclear to this day.

We took all the right steps to do the repair (as it was leaking upon delivery):
  1. We chose a reputable shop with a good track record of replacing the inner seals on Yotas
  2. They replaced the seal but it continued to leak, so as they should have, replaced it again.
  3. The next one leaked too, so this time they put a Toyota seal in it as suggested on here.
  4. So then it kept leaking... And leaking (they replaced the seal 6+ times)...
  5. We had to make a move and gave up on replacing the seals - So we threw in a different rear end, and now that's leaking too. From the inner axle seal.

That "new-to-me" rear end's seal on the front of the diff busted and allowed a half-dollar's sized puddle of gear oil to leak out in the dorm parking lot (which burned the gears up) so we replaced JUST the gears.

So that's where I'm at. The shop won't touch it to replace the seal again for fear of the same BS all over again. Nobody here in Memphis besides Toyota is reputable enough to do the job (that I know of at least - or my shop) and Toyota wants 4 hours of "diagnostic". Which is INSANE!

What on EARTH is wrong with this thing?!? I just don't get why it keeps blowing these seals unless something bigger is wrong since the lady before me apparently wrecked it. I'm at a loss - any and all help is appreciated. I've puzzled mechanics all over this city and nobody knows what to do. Sell?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
After the 2nd or 3rd seal I'm surprised the shop didn't just recommend you swap out the whole axle for a used one, or at least want to investigate further. Sounds to me like something is compromised from the accident, could be many things. Assuming your rig is stock gearing, I would just call up a junkyard/craigslist and find a replacement rear axle to do a direct swap with. No need to sell the rig, I'm sure the axle will only run you a couple hundred bucks and should swap in fairly quickly too - should definitely cost less than the diagnostics session and will save you headache.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Also,

And you've prolly already done it, but if not check that the diff breather isn't clogged.

Nobody's ever put new bearings on that side, correct? Improperly spaced bearings can cause leaking too.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know the extent of the previous accident? Did it effect the axles? If it did, all bets are off.

If the axles were spared, then you should read this thread I started about the flawed axle seal design on the ABS equipped 4runners and Tacomas. Its probably not blowing seals. The seals just aren't seating correctly on the retainer.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...xle-seals.html

Last edited by DRCOFFEE; 05-22-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I forgot to subscribe the thread to keep up with it.

I cleaned everything up with my pressure washer and have been keeping a close eye on the rear end and topping off the fluid every few days. Since posting up, the right rear axle and brake have been dry as can be. It looks like I need to find a new shop!

I saw the leak personally when they broke the news but its beyond baffling that they would say its leaking "severely" when now it's not leaking. We hit the lake this weekend as well as some pretty serious trails and she did absolutely perfect. I love my runner!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best way to see if they are leaking is to pop out the ABS sensors and look into the cavity for the presence of lube. You dont want to wait until it reaches the brakes or you risk getting stuck somewhere when the brake shoes swell up with gear lube and seize on you.