Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AutoMeter Mounting options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoMeter Mounting options?

As you know our wonderful vehicles well some of them dont have as many gauges as others. Oil pressure, Volt meter, On board air pressure and the like. I was acctually thinking about installing all of these but just a second ago thought of a great place to mount them all. They could be mounted in the 3 gauge thing and put in the glove compartment. I dont need to see them often, only when I want to see them do I want to see them and for the other 90% of the time they can be hidden. First off not a big fan of the A pillar mounts dont like the idea of losing the grab handle. Second will not even consider a rough mount. I was thinking in the overhead fold down garage door compartment but knew even after modding the door could only fit 2 gauges there. And that brings me back to the glove box. The center console is out because it is aready designated for the communication equipment. SOOO where the heck has everyone mounted theres?

Thanks

Aaron
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about a single digital gauge that requires you to scroll through each parameter?
no real help in the brand department, but ive heard of these being available and compatible with various control systems. hth.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:34 PM

Hmmm you might be on to something, I was looking at the standard Autometer carbon 2X1/16" gauges.

Aaron
Old 04-10-2006, 04:32 PM

- You might be able to save space by considering dual (2-in-1) gauges. Westach makes analog duals and SPA Technique makes digital duals.

- You can get a lot of functions in one package with a ScanGauge or similar monitor unit. At least in Tacomas, though, the ScanGauge would only be good for volts (of the 3 things you mentioned), because it monitors off the OBDII lines.

- If you only need voltmeter + 2 more conventional gauges, you might consider using some alternative voltmeter type. There are small LCD / LED units, and there are motorcycle-type variable LED battery indicator lamps.

- At least in the street Taco community (a) glove box locations are suspected to be a bad idea and (b) those who've tried this positioning tend to (begrudgingly) confirm that suspicion...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia
- You might be able to save space by considering dual (2-in-1) gauges. Westach makes analog duals...
just a "so you can see what it looks like"... I run a Westach A/FR & EGT gauge:

(click for a larger pic)

Westach will sell direct, but I found great prices and service from AirStuff.com. That dual A/FR & EGT in the top spot was $75 a year ago. They also make 3-in-1 & 4-in-1 gauges but the combinations are limited.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:51 PM

They make a single DIN mount that holds 3 2-1/16 gaiges. This would mount in the pocket below your radio (Unless you have a stock deck....then you'll be forced to upgrade....) This is what I'm planning to do with mine for the S/C gauges.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?...ric_DIN&Cart=1

Brett
Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 PM

OK well now I hve reconsidered. Here are my thoughts. If the old pressure is bad , hmmm pretty certain I would know the engine wasnt running right. And in the event the voltage sucks well the truck wont start so with that in mind I only need to the super cool AutoMeter Carbon Gauge.

Aaron
Old 04-14-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
OK well now I hve reconsidered. Here are my thoughts. If the old pressure is bad , hmmm pretty certain I would know the engine wasnt running right. And in the event the voltage sucks well the truck wont start so with that in mind I only need to the super cool AutoMeter Carbon Gauge.
Well... ummm...

Watching the oil pressure can be handy - it can let you know something's wrong before it becomes an issue. The engine will still run on low pressure, which will usually be the case for a while before "no" pressure - which of course is bad.

Volts can be a handy thing to watch for much the same reason. Your truck will start right off the battery, but it won't happen continuosly if the alternator isn't working. So, seeing the gauge read "almost 14" when running says you're alternator is working. If it still hovers around 12 or less, then the alternator ain't. It's also handy if you're running a big stereo... Engine idling, subwoofer cranked up, watch the voltage... If it's dipping with the beat, then look at one or more of: a larger alt, a smaller pulley for the alt you have, a cap for the amps, a dual battery setup.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM

Damn you so killed me talking myself out of 2 gauges and just getting the one, huhhhh ok ok I know they are both goo to have and while ai can just get out throw the meter on the battery and then the alt to verify power and proper flow, I cannot do the same with the oil pressure,
Old 04-14-2006, 03:59 PM

Yeah... sorry about that man. I can talk out the other side of my mouth though and say that they would be towards the bottom of a list of "must haves" if you're feeling over gauged.

I mean... I can probably make a case to gauge the bejeezus out of the truck/engine. Volts, oil temp, oil pressure, tranny temp, fuel pressure, digital ECT, light for fans running and lights to show that lights are on... But in the end, there are a couple of critical things that can tell you a lot:
  • EGT is good - if the engine's working hard (coolant issues, low fuel pressure, lean, lotto load) then the EGT is gonna rise.

• Tranny temp - I'm kindof on a line here. If you do a lot of towing or driving long steep grades, then this is good. If you're bouncing in the dirt and on the pavement, this is kinda' useless.

• Volts - I'd like to have a volt meter, but I dunno where I'd put it, so I don't worry too much about it. I've always thought my alternator and electrical system in general is a reoccuring weak link. This would let me confirm it.

• Boost - I'm S/C'd and I just like watching the needle move.

• ECT - comes standard, but never seems to move from "that point" unless there's REALLY trouble. I'd like to have a real one that's more sensitive.
Past that... I think it's all glitter.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:01 AM

Personally, I'd rather have an early indication of oil pressure dipping instead of having to wait until one of the temp measurements spiked (to let me know the engine was in trouble....)....
Old 04-15-2006, 05:21 AM

Its always nice to have a heads up on whats going on. Espacially when it comes to the most vital part of the vehicle. Wait no I'm the most vital part! I meant the other most vital part, because my rig couldnt do much without a driver.

Aaron
Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 AM

Here is where I put my Autometer guages. I have a boost and oil pressure on the pillar and a volt meter in that useless space below the radio. Didn't know what else to do with that odd square.

And here is the volt meter.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 AM

http://gadgetonline.com/Gauges.htm

Here is how I did mine.

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com