Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto Transmission backlash

Old 09-16-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Auto Transmission backlash

Hey guys,

I have a 98 taco with an auto trans w/ 101K miles.

Problem: When I come to a stop after normal driving and its time for the trans to downshift into 1st, I'm getting a pretty good thud for a downshift. Sometimes if I come to a stop ever so slowly the trans won't kick down into first until I go to give it gas to accelerate. When this happens, it feels like the trannys going to fall out the bottom. I have an extended warranty on the truck and took it to the dealer. They tried to tell me this a problem they have with this transmission/engine setup. I didn't believe them and pressured them into keeping the truck until they could figure it out. They came back a couple days later telling me they were going to replace the trans with a "newer" one with 20K. I thought good, they figured it out. Well, I get it back and its exactly the same. I have 15K left on my warranty and want this fixed.

Do you guys think it could be something in the diff, torque converter? In 4 wheel drive i cannot duplicate the problem. Hot/Cold it doesn't matter.

I talked with a co worker with a 97 4runner auto trans that has this problem, but it isn't close to as bad as mine. what gives?

Thanks for your help,

oZ
Old 09-16-2003, 11:17 AM
TOR

Tranny issues

Man I have a 97 and have never had a problem like that as well. Checked with my techs here at the shop and they don't know of any issues with the transmission at all. It sounds to me someone is blowing smoke for some good hours for their team at the service drive.

Todd
Old 09-16-2003, 11:25 AM

backlash me...

yeah I thought they were blowing smoke as well, but it didn't cost me anything to replace the trans so i didn't sweet it.

The transmission shifts wonderfully while moving, the only issue is coming to a slow stop. If I stop harder so the truck rocks a little, you almost can't tell its thudding.

let me know if you need any other info, i want this badboy shifting smooooooooth

oZ
Old 09-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Which dealer out here did you take it to?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:47 AM

dealer

John Elway Toyota over on arapahoe.

oZ
Old 09-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

That's where I bought my truck, but I won't use their service dept. I used them once and had such a bad experience that I'll never use them again. Have been using Burt Toyota on Broadway, service writer Scott Olsen, and haven't had any trouble with them. There's also Toyota Car Care on Potomac at Arapahoe; haven't used them but have heard really good things about them. Am going to try them next since they're near my office. I'd give either of them a call to help you with the tranny problem. Mine's at 33k and I can feel it a little too.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:17 PM

Angry 33k with backlash

So you can feel it "starting"? Its not something that comes from the factory? What year is your truck? If its a newer truck why has toyota not fixed this issue?

I need to read up on my warranty and see if it only works at John Elway or if it will work at any shop...

thanks for the contacts,

oZ

Do you have the rear locker? what a fine factory addition. amazing the situations that little button has gotten me out of
Old 09-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Mine's an '01, so no rear locker; ActiveTRAC instead. If its a Toyota warranty, then its good at any Toyota dealership in the U.S.; if not, then you need to read the fine print. I think mine is "starting" b/c I need a tranny fluid change since I added a tranny cooler; at 33k miles it's time to get it changed.