Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto tranny Stuck in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto tranny Stuck in Neutral

Auto tranny stuck in neutral. Makes a grinding sound when i try to get it in park. No forward, no reverse.!!! Curses! Im ordering a code reader in hopes Ill get a code thrown but Im not holding my breath with no lights coming on.

I have had Zero problems with this tranny. No slip. No jumping, no nothing.
I just cranked it this morning and that was all she wrote.

I found a thread in here where the guy claimed the t-case was stuck? It uses ATF to move? In the end he rolled it off the tow truck and it fixed itself.

So i think I might get lucky with finding a dead solenoid. Does this sound like a plan to anyone else or am I just postponing the inevitable new tranny swap?

No burnt tranny fluid and I installed a tranny cooler and took the fluid out of line with the radiator to prevent strawberry milkshake.

Anything you know or think of would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by runnyrunnerton
Auto tranny stuck in neutral. Makes a grinding sound when i try to get it in park. No forward, no reverse.!!! Curses! Im ordering a code reader in hopes Ill get a code thrown but Im not holding my breath with no lights coming on.

I have had Zero problems with this tranny. No slip. No jumping, no nothing.
I just cranked it this morning and that was all she wrote.

I found a thread in here where the guy claimed the t-case was stuck? It uses ATF to move? In the end he rolled it off the tow truck and it fixed itself.

So i think I might get lucky with finding a dead solenoid. Does this sound like a plan to anyone else or am I just postponing the inevitable new tranny swap?

No burnt tranny fluid and I installed a tranny cooler and took the fluid out of line with the radiator to prevent strawberry milkshake.

Anything you know or think of would be greatly appreciated.

I could have no idea what I am talking about. VERY possible.

Anyway, I just got my 4Runner about a month ago and noticed near the automatic shifter, then was a little white switch looking thing...

Went to the dealer, they said it is used for towing when the key cannot be turned, in order to get the shifter into neutral. By any chance, is your little switch thing activated? Maybe try activating it?

If nothing else, this post will allow people to see that someone ATTEMPTED to help, if not make a fool of themselves, and realize that they will not be able to come up with anything more idiotic than what that person said, resulting in more responses.

Good luck man!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Can I assume that you have cycled your transfer case back and forth and your tranny still remains stuck ?
Actually, we don't know what your setup is. Do you have manual or multi-mode 4WD? Add it to your profile or signature.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 AM

HEHE Transfer case cycled back and forth, fooled with the little white button thing on the auto shifter. Viola Problem solved. You guys are awesome. Here I have been bragging to all my buddies about putting on my own lift, changing brakes and CV's and something like this fouls me up! I cant help but laugh and sigh as now I dont get to talk the wife into an upgraded tranny with valve work!

PS does anyone know the best place on the east coast to get the valve work done to firm up these shifts? I was thinking of diving into an Auto Trans full rebuild as I know with 189 on the odometer my days are still numbered.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by runnyrunnerton
HEHE Transfer case cycled back and forth, fooled with the little white button thing on the auto shifter. Viola Problem solved. You guys are awesome. Here I have been bragging to all my buddies about putting on my own lift, changing brakes and CV's and something like this fouls me up! I cant help but laugh and sigh as now I dont get to talk the wife into an upgraded tranny with valve work!

PS does anyone know the best place on the east coast to get the valve work done to firm up these shifts? I was thinking of diving into an Auto Trans full rebuild as I know with 189 on the odometer my days are still numbered.

I havr the same problem. 1996 4runner limit edtion 4wd autotranny stuck in neutral. How do you cycle transfercase.?

Paul
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Wow. Guess I'm not the only one this happened to. Last night started to drive but it felt like the car had something holding it back. Checked for flat tires (none) got back in but no forward, no reverse. 4wd dash light flashing green for a 4 wheels, orange in center - never seen this light before. Played with 4wd shift knob and all the buttons but still nothing. Tried to put in Park but got grinding. Called hubby.
Hubby & friends came out, couldn't figure it out, put in 4wd High to get home (2 miles). Orange light in center went out after few hundred feet, green lights still on (normal?), drove slow but fine. Did not grind when put in park at home.
This morning head to repair shop still in 4wd high. Just for ˟˟˟˟˟˟ & giggles pressed large 4wd button on side of shifter. No more lights on dash. Assuming that took it out of 4wd. Still took to shop. Told if cannot recreate cannot troubleshoot. Heading to Bay area next two weekends and don't want to get stuck on the road or cause any damage. What can I do to feel secure about this?
Oh - 2002 4Runner inherited from late mom-in-law. Miss my 2001 Prerunner.......
Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like your 4Runner has multi-mode 4WD. When your husband shifted it to 4WD HI with the 4WD button pressed, that was in AWD mode (4WD with the center diff open). By pressing the 4WD button, you disengaged AWD and is now in 2WD.
The orange light and 4 green lights signify that it's in 4WD mode and the center diff is locked while the 4 green lights (w/o the orange light) signify it's in AWD mode.

Since you're not yet familiar with the transfer lever, don't shift it and just make sure that it's in the forward position always. Better yet, get yourself familiar with the use of the transfer lever.

on pavement, it's okay to run in AWD (green light only). try to avoid locking the center diff (orange light on) while on pavement as it causes the diffs and transfer case to bind and get damaged.

Last edited by KZN185W; 10-20-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
Looks like your 4Runner has multi-mode 4WD. When your husband shifted it to 4WD HI with the 4WD button pressed, that was in AWD mode (4WD with the center diff open). By pressing the 4WD button, you disengaged AWD and is now in 2WD.
The orange light and 4 green lights signify that it's in 4WD mode and the center diff is locked while the 4 green lights (w/o the orange light) signify it's in AWD mode.

Since you're not yet familiar with the transfer lever, don't shift it and just make sure that it's in the forward position always. Better yet, get yourself familiar with the use of the transfer lever.

on pavement, it's okay to run in AWD (green light only). try to avoid locking the center diff (orange light on) while on pavement as it causes the diffs and transfer case to bind and get damaged.

^^ Yep, MM is a great feature but, if you are unfamiliar to using it correctly, then it can be a nightmare.