Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto Tranny Fluid And Filter Replacment......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Tranny Fluid And Filter Replacment......

Hey guys whats shakin? Well I've got bad news and worse news (maybe) but I was having some problems with my Runner the past couple of days and needed to do something. I was driving normally when the gas pedal went straight to the floor and my tach jumped from 3000 rmp to !7500! rpm!!!!! ahhhh!Tranny slipped into neutral!! Ok let off gas immediatly only to find it ok again. So I decided to turn around to come home. It happend 5 times the way back. All different loads. As in going up a hill @ 60 kms or coasting @50 kms.... didnt matter. My fluids were a bit low, 1/2 litre of oil, tranny was a little over, rad was 2 litrers down (I know why --> not a problem) But I had to do something so... Iam in the process of changing the fluid and filter. I tell ya, getting that pan off since it came from the factory, holy hell.... took me about 40 mins of cursing and struggling. Finally I used my hammer
So, now Iam at the point were I've got the pan and the old filter off. Well Boys, lots of gunk thats fer sure. Six magnets in total help about 4 teaspoons of tiny metal fillings. Ok whatever, But.... (this is where it could get worse) The other half of the filter, you know where it bolts on to the tranny, there are hundreds of tiny little cracks. Not were the gasket would go... thats all soild, but everywhere --><-- in between. It looks as if there are only a couple of bolts holding it on so Iam going to try to investigate further by getting it outta there. So yeah, theres my plight, If yopu guys have anything to advise or let me know!!
cheers, Lee Hathaway
Old 01-30-2005, 03:13 PM

Talking

Oh yeah, One more thing to add, I went ahead and bought some Lucas Oil "Slip Stop". You guys ever heard of the stuff? I tell ya, it's thicker than mollasses. And I mean it! I've also called my local Stealership to check up on the cracking of the filter plate, and I've come to the conclusion that it is in fact ok... reason being is I took it off of the tranny looked on the other side and it's nice and smooth. to me that indicates that it's not cracked all the way though But I'll post more as I go along.
Cheers, Lee Hathaway
ohh and by the way, Bump fer beer.... on my sixth Richards Red this afternoon!!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hey! I did my fluid and filter a while back too. The tranny works a whole lot better than it did. Are you planning on replacing the filter or just cleaning it? If I understand correctly, the cracks are on the filter right? You might be able to replace the filter and then you wouldn't have to worry about it. I think there are 3 or 4 bolts holding it on.

The pan was a real pain for me too. I think I used a hammer and block of wood too.

Well, have fun.
Daniel
Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Try pulling the codes for the tranny, same as pulling codes for the engine just watch the o/d light instead of the check engine light. I'm gonna bet that you are gonna need a new solenoid.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Talking

Well Success was had by all!!! Just came back from a couple a test drives and everythings perfect!! That does'nt mean to say that the slipping will never come back.... just means it hasnt come back YET. Any way, I changed the filter and the fluid, torqued to spec and she runs smoooooth. The only thing that was a pita was getting the pan off, but a hammer coaxed it off. For ease it taking the pan out, I also disconectted the dipstick guide tube and cleaned it up before putting it back on. Next thing now it to change the fuel filter. Seeing how many guys that have done it and the fact that it takes all of 10 mins... why not, right?
Cheers, Lee Hathaway
Old 01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

i would have guessed it was toast with four teaspoons of metal filings!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:40 PM

its2slo: i would have guessed it was toast with four teaspoons of metal filings!

Yeah, so would have I! There was a quite a bit But Iam just gonna giv'r easy for a while seeing that I reaaally dont want to replace it. All I can really do is keep a close eye on things and hope for the best.
Cheers, Lee Hathaway

Sorry bout this one, I just wanted to use it
Old 01-30-2005, 11:54 PM

When you dropped your tranny pan did you have to undo the sway-bar? I got to do this job and it looks in the way.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:07 AM
Banned

Talking

Yes you will need to undo the sway bar form the frame letting it swing down so you can remove the pan.

Last edited by NathanBERG; 01-31-2005 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:54 AM

Thanks NathanBerg , I guess I should install new sway-bar bushings to then.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:31 AM

Exclamation

Hey Slowrunner, If your'e gonna be using your 4runner as a 4x4 you might want to consider taking the sway-bars off completly. It'll give you more articulation front and rear with-out any ill effect. Unless you drive her like a sports car then you'll notice body roll, but if you drive her like a 4x4 Iam sure you'll be able to live with it.
Cheers, Lee Hathaway
Old 01-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

When I did my filter and fluid change, I didn't have to take off the sway bar. I did have to wiggle around the pan to get it our from around the sway bar, but It came out fine. My 4runner is a 2wd, but I don't think that would make any difference.

Just my $.02.
Have fun all.
Daniel